Official P&b Cycling Thread

Went out for a 40 mile run yesterday as taking it a bit easy ,as was going out a club run today,which is always a wee bit longer.

After the trials and triubulations of the reliability trials over the last few weeks,was looking forward to a more leisurely run ,although realised it would consist of quite a few base miles...................................WRONG

Left Larbert and basically went the first 20 miles miles of the planned P&B route for May ( Larbert,Stirling,Bridge Of Allan, up The Hill Of Row, Doune)

Then turned towards Thornhill,then made our way out the Kippen flats to Balfron.

Through Balforn,towards Fintry then up and over the Crow Road(Oya,Oya) down into Lennoxtown,then back along through Kilsyth,etc,etc to Larbert.

After 72 miles,the 4 pints of Guiness and scotch pie were just reward!

ETA :JohnJohn,yur teas oot!!

Edited by Unleash The Nade

Cycling up Springburn expressway tonight, there was a ninja heading towards the city centre. What good is light at the back when you are invisible from the front.

One of the guys I was out with yesterday was in full ninja gear. He did have a tiny LED at the back, but the battery was obviously goosed. I've had plooks that shine brighter :rolleyes:

I constantly forget the signals and the properterms and make myself look like a fud when I make it along to the cycle club! Been shying away over the winter concentrating on football. Might take me a couple of attempts to reel UTN in when I go back. Group riding is much better than out yourself and for the most part safer too. Moaning motorists can kiss my lycra class padded cycling shorts :ass

Aye, the motorists just have to get used to the idea that we're as entitled to be on the roads as they are.

I'll still enjoy my lone riding even if I do go out regularly with the club. I enjoy deciding where I want to go, how quickly I want to get there, and when I want to stop for a wee break. Having some time on your own is good, too, when you work and have a family etc.

Aye, the motorists just have to get used to the idea that we're as entitled to be on the roads as they are.

I'll still enjoy my lone riding even if I do go out regularly with the club. I enjoy deciding where I want to go, how quickly I want to get there, and when I want to stop for a wee break. Having some time on your own is good, too, when you work and have a family etc.

Yep I like the freedom aspect too, going where the mood takes you and at the pace you want. I often stop to take pictures too so that would be out with a group ride, however the occasional one is OK.

I went out for the first ride of the year today! Good one, 15 miles round Glasgow. Pace was OK, but found the going a bit tough at the end when I was heading into a really strong westerly wind. The windsock at the airport was getting fair blown about.

On no light ninjas, I was going to Sainsburys tonight in the car and waiting to turn left at the lights (with indicator on). Light turns green I started to move and looked in the mirror as a guy on a black bike, wearing black with no lights appeared.

I just saw him in the mirror before I turned and let him shoot on through, only reason I saw him was he was cut across the beam of another car's lights, other than that he was invisible to someone glancing in a mirror. Seriously crap cycling, to 1. have no lights and 2. go up the inside of a car turning left and if I was a bus that didn't see him he'd have a bad ending.

Ended up out today was wisbit. Good jaunt to shake the cobwebs off. We done about 35/36 miles. I done a few extra on the way home so 50 in total for me.

Wisbit can tell you the highlight of the day lo

Eta l wasnt far off the ninja look but ive got lights etc :-)

Edited by paisleysaints

I needed to head past a friend's house on my way in today which took me onto Dundee's inner ring road. There's a 4-lane section near the railway station and I had to be in the third one for turning right.

There's something both terrifying and exhilarating about having traffic moving past you on both sides in the same direction. I might do it again tomorrow, although I'll need to pick my lane quicker. The traffic moves so slowly in this area that I can be over almost as soon as i join it, but I didn't realise that and I think for one moment became one of those cyclists that motorists moan about :ph34r:

Edited by The Master

Apart from saddlesore i feel fine and eager to get back into match fitness.

I have no idea what the highlight was probs getting home. (nowt to do with cleets and floor) :whistle

Just get yerself up and down the cycle track more often and get off that PC :) just give me a shout anytime you want to go for it

Going out with my local cycling club for the first time tomorrow morning.

Weather forecast = pishing down and cold.

Nice dry.gif

ETA on Sun 4th March:

So, rolled up in the howling wind and driving rain, and loitered for a wee while until one guy came along. This guy was 75 years old (76 on Saturday), I kid you not! The plan was he would link up with me and we would head to meet another guy a few miles along the road. The second guy was a mere boy at 74 years old!

So, obviously the club organiser was pitching this at a certain level for the newbie diddy? Well, yes and no. These old blokes, the first in particular, are hardcore. We also met up with another couple of riders. One about my age and another younger guy in his early 20s.

The pace was pretty pedestrian for the most part, but that was fine as it was my first taste of group riding. Really decent blokes, too, it has to be said. We covered about 45 miles with a cafe stop, and the weather improved on the return leg.

I enjoyed the day, and will go back. The guys I was riding with reckon I'm fine for their intermediate group (this sits below the serious riders who race etc.). That sounds good to me, and I'm planning to head out for their 70 mile ride next Saturday all going well.

Some motorists don't seem to take too kindly riders in a group. Their problem, I suppose, but I'm not generally used to this as a lone rider. The etiquette stuff might take a bit of getting used to, but there are plenty of good reasons to join up with these guys I reckon. Huge credit to the older blokes. FFS, if I'm in anything like that kind of nick when I'm their age, I'll be hugely proud of myself.

I heard that their dad couldn't make it as he was working . :)

Not looking forward to this cycle home wet and windy !!

Aye, was pretty grim over here, too.

in saying that, after my maiden club ride on Saturday morning in truly hellish conditions, I reckon I was a bit more conditioned to endure it than I would have been otherwise.

There is something to be said for having to get out in the most attrocious conditions (eg: on the commute), though. It hardens you up, is good for the soul, and makes the sunny day rides all the better :)

Wasn't too bad for me getting home. The wind was mostly behind me, although I did get caught by surprise when I turned a corner and a sudden gust caught me from the side.

I don't care about rain; if I did, I wouldn't be a cyclist in Scotland :P

Can anyone recommend a decent pump for getting slicks up to proper pressure? No matter how hard I try with my normal pump I can't get the pressure above 90-100psi and the tyre still feels a bit soft. Nothing too expensive or high tech though. Also a decent front light for illuminating the road in front of me as opposed to allowing me to be seen. Sick fed up of having to swerve at last minute to avoid potholes etc on badly lit roads and paths. Any advice/recommendations would be gratefully received

Can anyone recommend a decent pump for getting slicks up to proper pressure? No matter how hard I try with my normal pump I can't get the pressure above 90-100psi and the tyre still feels a bit soft. Nothing too expensive or high tech though. Also a decent front light for illuminating the road in front of me as opposed to allowing me to be seen. Sick fed up of having to swerve at last minute to avoid potholes etc on badly lit roads and paths. Any advice/recommendations would be gratefully received

If you look back on the thread,I had same problem and just invested in one of these

lezyne-pressure-drive-2012-med.jpg?w=350&h=350&a=7

A wee bit expensive at £29.99,but theyre absolutely fanatsatic and a few guys in my bike club have now bought them

Get to 100psi no problem and has flexible hose,so less chance of bending valve.

http://www.wiggle.co...abs-pump-small/

Yoi get to full pressure in 30% fewer strokes,which I've never managed in years!!!!;)

ETA: I also have this light and tbh wouldnt go for anything lower than 35 lux

Again maybe more than you were looking to spend,but you're life could depend on it

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_736219_langId_-1_categoryId_165636

Edited by Unleash The Nade

I'm thinking of getting a mountain bike,nothing too serious,just something to get me along the Forth and Clyde canal path and up the back of Cumbernauld towards Slamannan etc.

Just looking for something cheap for now in case its just a phase.

Anybody know what these bikes from Sports Direct are like? or Halfords?

I know you guys who take it serious will laugh at the idea of buying one of these,but are they any good for a novice? or can you recommend elsewhere for a cheap bike?

Sports Direct are selling the full suspension Dunlop[ bikes for £60 reduced from £150.

Thanks to all replys in advance.