Official P&b Cycling Thread

Anybody tried the Falkirk mountain bike trails?

Do they have tailor-made trails through there?

I know there are newish trails in the Carron Valley, but I've got out the way of going off-road - to the point that I considered punting the MTB in order to get another road machine (I couldn't bring myself to do it, though, and I wouldn't get anything like the true worth of the bike in a sale at any rate).

I've signed up for an introductory club run at the weekend. It looks as though they might be juggling their plans to accomodate me, so no backing out.

It's probably just as well as I need to get into some training for the Syke Mor at the end of May.

Lets get ready to rumble then do the Irvine route you speak about. dont know if I have done that

The Irvine route, down past Lochwinnoch and out that way to Kilwinning? Liked that route until parts between Glengarnock and Kilwinning where it got hilly and slowed me down. The surface was terrible too, that stones with tar laid on them and it was rubbish for grip. But a nicer route than through the Port and Greenock.

Apparently Sustrans want to build a new route in the valley.

The Irvine route, down past Lochwinnoch and out that way to Kilwinning? Liked that route until parts between Glengarnock and Kilwinning where it got hilly and slowed me down. The surface was terrible too, that stones with tar laid on them and it was rubbish for grip. But a nicer route than through the Port and Greenock.

Apparently Sustrans want to build a new route in the valley.

Ah right i've done this route up to a point, and as for your pm remark we are just opening the invite to the thread lol so less of the lip :)

Wisbit i'll pm ye lol

Did 30k today in 2 hours. The canal was easy, the bike track from the canal into Lionthorn and back up the braes was an absolute killer. Im fooked.

Been the first time in a few months that Ive been out on my bike. It was a perfect day for it. Dull, overcast, dry and very little wind. :)

I really enjoyed it :)

Falkirk council should be commended on the new Bike paths theyve opened up recently. Theyre excellent.

Did 30k today in 2 hours. The canal was easy, the bike track from the canal into Lionthorn and back up the braes was an absolute killer. Im fooked.

Been the first time in a few months that Ive been out on my bike. It was a perfect day for it. Dull, overcast, dry and very little wind. :)

I really enjoyed it :)

Falkirk council should be commended on the new Bike paths theyve opened up recently. Theyre excellent.

I agree Matt.

Shame many of their roads are a fucking disgrace though

I agree Matt.

Shame many of their roads are a fucking disgrace though

Yeah, theyre pretty bad. The 2 previous winters seemed to be the main cause.

Im not 100% sure it was even the council who arranged the new bike paths to be honest, they just seemed the most likely.

They really are fantastic, so it is possible they had nothing to do with it ;)

The paths in particular are in the Bantaskine and Lionthorn areas. Im sure there are a few more though.

Theyve been a work in progress for a year or so now and when I went round today, you could really see extra work thats been carried out.

Edited by MattBairn

Yeah the port Glasgow route is badly signed I got to the firestation and thought feck it and headed back over the hills going home before the creeps came out.

I thought the route was very well signed. A lot of the signs in and around Port Glasgow looked quite new.

It was hard going due to the hills at the outset but the natives were nowhere to be seen which was a major benefit and all pathways in Port and Greenock were in good condition.

First commute of the year today it was hard work and really really slow. Far too warm for baselayers and winter gloves☀

Aye, I swapped my insulated gloves for a Spring pair today after finding it a bit toasty yersterday. What a difference it makes not having streaming eyes/fogged up specs and steam coming off you when you arrive at work. The longer days are great too.

Much as winter cycling doesn't tend to bother me too much, there's nothing like losing a layer and being able to put the hammer down a bit without fear of hitting an ice patch or skittering off the road due to gritting.

Yep, I dressed appropriately today and the difference was incredible. Had an argument with a driving instructor that took the shine off the evening commute. He was claiming having the front light on flash was a hazard.......

What an arse.

One of the reasons lights have a flash function is to differentiate bikes from other vehicles. Let's face it, we need to be distinctive as were the most vulnerable folks on the road.

Racked up around 55 miles over the last two days which im pleased about. Just adding a few extra miles going to and from work. While adding a,couple of 8 milers at lunch time.

On the lights i have both rear and front lights flashing

Edited by paisleysaints

What an arse.

One of the reasons lights have a flash function is to differentiate bikes from other vehicles. Let's face it, we need to be distinctive as were the most vulnerable folks on the road.

I set my rear light to flash, but keep the front lights static.

Don't ask me why; it just seems right to me.

Some lights have such a slow flash frequency that you can look towards it and look away and have not seen it on. I prefer two front lights, one steady, one flashing, and a fast flashing rear light.

I bought a new rear light and wasn't sure what to do with my old one. Then I realised it fitted quite well to my helmet, so I attached it and have that one steady.

The light now on my bike has a "strobe" setting, which keeps at least on LED on at a time, but I can't help but think that would make me enemies!

Going out with my local cycling club for the first time tomorrow morning.

Weather forecast = pishing down and cold.

Nice <_<

ETA on Sun 4th March:

So, rolled up in the howling wind and driving rain, and loitered for a wee while until one guy came along. This guy was 75 years old (76 on Saturday), I kid you not! The plan was he would link up with me and we would head to meet another guy a few miles along the road. The second guy was a mere boy at 74 years old!

So, obviously the club organiser was pitching this at a certain level for the newbie diddy? Well, yes and no. These old blokes, the first in particular, are hardcore. We also met up with another couple of riders. One about my age and another younger guy in his early 20s.

The pace was pretty pedestrian for the most part, but that was fine as it was my first taste of group riding. Really decent blokes, too, it has to be said. We covered about 45 miles with a cafe stop, and the weather improved on the return leg.

I enjoyed the day, and will go back. The guys I was riding with reckon I'm fine for their intermediate group (this sits below the serious riders who race etc.). That sounds good to me, and I'm planning to head out for their 70 mile ride next Saturday all going well.

Some motorists don't seem to take too kindly riders in a group. Their problem, I suppose, but I'm not generally used to this as a lone rider. The etiquette stuff might take a bit of getting used to, but there are plenty of good reasons to join up with these guys I reckon. Huge credit to the older blokes. FFS, if I'm in anything like that kind of nick when I'm their age, I'll be hugely proud of myself.

Edited by Drooper

Another 30k today again.

Had a few drinks yesterday so I thought Id work it off.

Ended up around the Falkirk Stadium at one point. The cycle paths there are pretty good too.

Different from the rural/rugged mountain bike paths of Lionthorn and Bantaskine areas but not bad at all.

Its great having so many routes to choose from that keeps me away from main roads :)

Some motorists don't seem to take too kindly riders in a group. Their problem, I suppose, but I'm not generally used to this as a lone rider. The etiquette stuff might take a bit of getting used to, but there are plenty of good reasons to join up with these guys I reckon. Huge credit to the older blokes. FFS, if I'm in anything like that kind of nick when I'm their age, I'll be hugely proud of myself.

I constantly forget the signals and the properterms and make myself look like a fud when I make it along to the cycle club! Been shying away over the winter concentrating on football. Might take me a couple of attempts to reel UTN in when I go back. Group riding is much better than out yourself and for the most part safer too. Moaning motorists can kiss my lycra class padded cycling shorts :ass