Official P&b Cycling Thread

After last weeks dissaster, now getting ready for the final reliability trial this morning.

65 miles leaving from Larbert, up to Doune then through Deannston over to Lake of Menteith,Aberfoyle then back along the A81 to the A811, then along the Kippen flats etc.

A wee bit apprehensive, as this is meant to be the toughest of the 4.

Big bowl of porridge and bananas and at least a 4 gel route I reckon .

Fingers crossed no more f***ing punctures

Christ, that sounds gruelling.

What is the purpose of the reliability trials? It sounds like the kind of thing that might scunner me off cycling altogether.

I'm still swithering about joining up with the local club on a novice diddy ride next weekend. I've told myself I'll give it a try this year but I'm still ambivalent.

Christ, that sounds gruelling.

What is the purpose of the reliability trials? It sounds like the kind of thing that might scunner me off cycling altogether.

I'm still swithering about joining up with the local club on a novice diddy ride next weekend. I've told myself I'll give it a try this year but I'm still ambivalent.

Reliability trials are really set up for the serious guys as a training session prior to the race season starting.

However,any rider can participate and tbh most of these who do (like me) just use them as an opportunit y to get in some miles and cycle with like minded people.

Just to let you know, there will be around 5 groups of 20 going out today at 5 minute intervals and I'll be in the first.

Its not a race, but as you can imagine , some of the top guys from rival clubs treat it as such.

It will only scunner you if you try and keep up with guys way above your ability!

Dont let it put you off your local club Drooper, I can almost guarantee you'll get hooked and it will totally change the way you cycle

PS Unless its full of wankers :lol:

Right...must dash

Reliability trials are really set up for the serious guys as a training session prior to the race season starting.

However,any rider can participate and tbh most of these who do (like me) just use them as an opportunit y to get in some miles and cycle with like minded people.

Just to let you know, there will be around 5 groups of 20 going out today at 5 minute intervals and I'll be in the first.

Its not a race, but as you can imagine , some of the top guys from rival clubs treat it as such.

It will only scunner you if you try and keep up with guys way above your ability!

Dont let it put you off your local club Drooper, I can almost guarantee you'll get hooked and it will totally change the way you cycle

PS Unless its full of wankers :lol:

Right...must dash

Cheers for that.

Too late to wish you luck, but I hope it goes/went well.

I reckon I have to take a punt on a club run. Nothing to lose either way, and it'll annoy me if I never find out whether I might take to it.

Cheers for that.

Too late to wish you luck, but I hope it goes/went well.

Well no punctures,so that was a bonus

However,I reckon thats the toughest workout I've ever had on a bike.

The first group which I was in,got caught by the second group after only 16 miles,as to be honest,our initial pace was too slow.

I went with the second group and managed to stay with them to the 25 mile mark,until we hit a 2 mile killer climb.

The found myself totally isolated for next 23 miles,as was too fast for 1st group and couldnt stay with second group.

It was really tough as majority was against headwind then crosswind,as wind direction changed.

With hindsight,I should have slowed up and let first group catch me,as then would have got some shelter and other guys taking the pace at the front.

Finished in 3 and a half hours,with an average of 18.57 mph,so quite chuffed, but now totally drained

Read through the last few pages of this thread. Quite interesting stuff.

I am not a serious cyclist by any means. First jaunt of the year was yesterday. Train down to Gourock and then 25miles back with my mate. Took us 2hrs 30mins mainly due to the struggle of the first 7 or 8 miles being all uphill.

We are also on MTB's although I use Scwalbe Marathon slicks when on the road to get more pace.

Next jaunt looks like being Balloch - Tarbet and back. 33Miles all in.

Aiming to get Edinburgh to Glasgow in by the summer and ideally around the 5hr mark.

Yeah, I sometimes cycle part of the way to work then train the rest. I don't think I would ever go for a road bike but I am really enjoying getting out and about mainly on cycle paths etc but my MTB allows me to go off road as well.

This thread seems really useful so I dare say I will be popping in for advice etc.

Read through the last few pages of this thread. Quite interesting stuff.

I am not a serious cyclist by any means. First jaunt of the year was yesterday. Train down to Gourock and then 25miles back with my mate. Took us 2hrs 30mins mainly due to the struggle of the first 7 or 8 miles being all uphill.

We are also on MTB's although I use Scwalbe Marathon slicks when on the road to get more pace.

Next jaunt looks like being Balloch - Tarbet and back. 33Miles all in.

Aiming to get Edinburgh to Glasgow in by the summer and ideally around the 5hr mark.

I've done that in reverse- Glasgow to Gourock and train back up to Paisley and home. Got lost in Port Glasgow and Greenock as the cycle track signage just faded to nothing (and parts of it were rough as f**k- dodging the dirt bikes racing along!). Took me 2hrs 33mins on a road bike, but that is with stopping in Kilmacolm and Greenock as it was boiling (was the day Amy Winehouse croaked it!)

If you're interested Pedal for Scotland does Glasgow-Edinburgh as an organised event. I did it last year in 3hours 30 including stoppages for 48 miles. On a mountain bike with decent fitness 4hrs is possible.

Yeah, I sometimes cycle part of the way to work then train the rest. I don't think I would ever go for a road bike but I am really enjoying getting out and about mainly on cycle paths etc but my MTB allows me to go off road as well.

This thread seems really useful so I dare say I will be popping in for advice etc.

My very words less than a year ago

Totally hooked now

Yeah the port Glasgow route is badly signed I got to the firestation and thought feck it and headed back over the hills going home before the creeps came out.

I also used the line I'll never get a road bike. Now I cant wait to get back on it.

Wisbit you up for a cycle this weekend?

Yeah the port Glasgow route is badly signed I got to the firestation and thought feck it and headed back over the hills going home before the creeps came out.

Remember you saying that.

I got completely lost, ended up cycling round housing estates until I came across roads I knew and stuck with them till I got to Morrisons where I found it the other side of the fire station. Unknown to me but when I looked it up I'd stumbled back on the cycle route, lost it again, crossed over it before coming back onto it the other side of the fire station.

It needs work that is for sure more glass than stones on it.

Haven't been our for ages on the bike, really need to get off the exercise bike and back onto cycling. Worried how unfit I'm going to be ph34r.gif

Wisbit you up for a cycle this weekend?

I am.

Lets get ready to rumble then do the Irvine route you speak about. dont know if I have done that

Day ? time ? cmon get it organised !!!!

You fuckers no ken how to use the PM facility!!;)

Hope your both coming on the P&B run in May