Official P&b Cycling Thread

Look forward to the lights nights coming soon. Need to get myself new tops for the coming months where is a good place to buy good cycling tops at a decent price. Seen a couple of nice ones on cycle surgery but abit pricey.

http://www.dalescycl...productid=56825

http://www.wiggle.co...-core-s-jersey/

http://www.evanscycl...jersey-ec027530

http://www.evanscycl...jersey-ec033531

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/en/searchProcess/~searchedText=cycling%20/~language=en/~viewSize=16/~viewIndex=32

Edited by Unleash The Nade

I have just been out for 10 miles on my new (secondhand) single speed cross bike and I was v v impressed. Amazing how quickly u get used to 1 gear????. Another gumtree triumph, that is the 3rd bike I have bought from gtree and they have all been♠. Anyone swithering over a single speed, I say buy buy buy!

I have just been out for 10 miles on my new (secondhand) single speed cross bike and I was v v impressed. Amazing how quickly u get used to 1 gear. Another gumtree triumph, that is the 3rd bike I have bought from gtree and they have all been♠. Anyone swithering over a single speed, I say buy buy buy!

It's been over 35 years since I hade a single speed bike, I remember the joy of finally having a bike with gears (5 maybe 6 from memory) so would be reluctant to go back to a single.......!

I presume it's a freewheel, a fixie would be way beyond me for sure...?

Best of luck with the purchase......... Is the goal to ride it from the Wellgate steps, up the Hilltoon, and finish at The Law summit..............?:o

;)

Bit the bullet this morning and ventured out on the road bike.

Chose to ride into the chilly headwind on the outward journey and struggled to average 10.5mph. Thankfully the inward journey was a bit easier and managed to get the average up to 12mph over the 27mile route.

It's not Le Tour pace, but enjoyable all the same.....! ;)

Average mph only matters if you're training for something. Otherwise, just enjoy the ride as you say.

I've pretty much given up on bothering with average mph as there are far too many variables to use this as a guide as to how you're progressing even if that matters a great deal in any event. A wind of 10 mph can reduce your average mph by a couple of points easily, and I've been surprised just how much road surfaces impact on this too. Then you have to factor in traffic conditions etc....etc....

Nah, I've adopted a philosophical approach to my riding. Enjoying the ride and staying out of trouble is what matters most in my book.

How easy/difficult is it to fit a chain?

Even though I give my bike a wipe down fairly frequently, I stupidly forget about the chain. I've just washed it there (the resultant water was black) but there's wee patches of rust, so I'll probably want to replace it in the not-too-distance future.

How easy/difficult is it to fit a chain?

Even though I give my bike a wipe down fairly frequently, I stupidly forget about the chain. I've just washed it there (the resultant water was black) but there's wee patches of rust, so I'll probably want to replace it in the not-too-distance future.

Pretty straightforward. Have you got a chain tool for fitting links? Not all devices are compatible with all chains (8/9/10 speed etc.). As a general rule of thumb, more cogs, and the chain is narrower. Make sure you're buying a chain that fits your gearing set-up.

Park Tools tutorials are great for walk-through maintenance guides:

Everything you wanted to know about chains, but were afraid to ask....

Edited by Drooper

No, I'd need to get a chain tool. It's probably something I should have anyway in case repairs are needed.

Doesn't look too problematic. And I suppose if it needs done anyway, then I can only try and if it goes wrong I just take it to the shop anyway.

Well , it was the third reliability trial today.

Woke up to a cold, crisp,dry , sunny morning,with very little wind , almost perfect conditions.

Headed through to the start in Stirling looking forward to the route ahead,cycling alog the scenic route flanked by snow topped mountains.

However, all my enthusiasm and anticipation was very short lived!

Only three miles into the trial, I got a puncture.

I changed it as quickly as I could, hoping that I'd be able to jump on to one of the other groups,as I'd left with the first.

Hand pump only managed to inflate to 60 psi, but I knew there was a cycle shop only a few miles down the road and would be able to get the use of a track pump to inflate more.

Got to bike shop, only to find it closed.

However,decided to venture onwards as bike felt OK.

A further two and a half miles later...another puncture.

By the time I got this one fixed, all groups had passed and were well on their way,so chucked it

Just been on Wiggle and ordered two Gatorskin tyres!!

I fucking hated my bike today :angry:

Woke up to a cold, crisp,dry , sunny morning,with very little wind , almost perfect conditions.

Headed through to the start in Stirling looking forward to the route ahead,cycling alog the scenic route flanked by snow topped mountains.

I changed it as quickly as I could, hoping that I'd be able to jump on to one of the other groups,as I'd left with the first.

Hand pump only managed to inflate to 60 psi, but I knew there was a cycle shop only a few miles down the road and would be able to get the use of a track pump to inflate more.

By the time I got this one fixed, all groups had passed and were well on their way,so chucked it

CO2 inflator = 100psi in approx. 3 seconds.

I got all lycra'd up yesterday, did two miles and also caught a puncture!! Rear wheel, couldn't be arsed changing it at the side of the road so wandered home in the huff, got the hybrid out the garage and the chain fell off after 1.3 miles.

To say I was less than impressed was an understatement....

So I spent the rest of the afternoon fixing both bikes, washed them all and lubed them up ready to go another day!

Fuckers.:angry:

I got all lycra'd up yesterday, did two miles and also caught a puncture!! Rear wheel, couldn't be arsed changing it at the side of the road so wandered home in the huff, got the hybrid out the garage and the chain fell off after 1.3 miles.

To say I was less than impressed was an understatement....

So I spent the rest of the afternoon fixing both bikes, washed them all and lubed them up ready to go another day!

Fuckers.:angry:

Dearie me....what a pair of moaning minnies :lol:

CO2 inflator = 100psi in approx. 3 seconds.

Nah,Im going to invest in one of these babies.

I've seen to many guys rely on these CO2 thinmgs only to be let down ( no pun intended)..at least with a pumnp worst case scenario, you can get some air

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lezyne-pressure-drive-mini-abs-pump-medium/

lezyne-pressure-drive-2012-med.jpg?w=350&h=350&a=7

Nah,Im going to invest in one of these babies.

I've seen to many guys rely on these CO2 thinmgs only to be let down ( no pun intended)..at least with a pumnp worst case scenario, you can get some air

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lezyne-pressure-drive-mini-abs-pump-medium/

lezyne-pressure-drive-2012-med.jpg?w=350&h=350&a=7

Have you seen the size of a CO2 inflator? I was about to post that mine is about the size of my thumb but thought better of it :ph34r:

You could carry one AND a pump if you're concerned about the inflator letting you down (mine hasn't done so once).

Hand pumping to anything approaching 100psi is nigh-on impossible, and if time is an issue, then you might as well chuck it...or chuck it at 60psi and promptly suffer another puncture.

A CO2 pump tends to fail when the operator is clueless as to how to use it properly.

ETA: my inflator weighs less than a gel

Edited by Drooper

Have you seen the size of a CO2 inflator? I was about to post that mine is about the size of my thumb but thought better of it :ph34r:

You could carry one AND a pump if you're concerned about the inflator letting you down (mine hasn't done so once).

Hand pumping to anything approaching 100psi is nigh-on impossible, and if time is an issue, then you might as well chuck it...or chuck it at 60psi and promptly suffer another puncture.

A CO2 pump tends to fail when the operator is clueless as to how to use it properly.

ETA: my inflator weighs less than a gel

£17.99 for the pump and £11.99 for a pack of 6 CO2 cartridges, meaning £1.99 per inflation!!!.

Still not a bad price to pay for a quick B.J I suppose !! ;)

The Lezyne one is seemingly a piece of pish to get top 100 psi ,I'll just stick to using my arm Drooper thanks :lol:

I'm still on the same tyres as were on the bike when I got it. No punctures at all after 800-odd miles.

(You just know what's going to happen now mad.gif )

Also never had any with the Secteur and to be fair,I'd done well over 2000 miles without having one.

However...trust me,your time will come!

Seemingly having one at 30mph isnt much fun!!

Edited by Unleash The Nade

After last weeks dissaster, now getting ready for the final reliability trial this morning.

65 miles leaving from Larbert, up to Doune then through Deannston over to Lake of Menteith,Aberfoyle then back along the A81 to the A811, then along the Kippen flats etc.

A wee bit apprehensive, as this is meant to be the toughest of the 4.

Big bowl of porridge and bananas and at least a 4 gel route I reckon .

Fingers crossed no more f***ing punctures