Official P&b Cycling Thread

Thats a nice looking bike Gary fisher one. I've just bought "Specialized Allez Triple 2012 Road Bike" should be getting it this week. so drooper as your from around my area (I think) let me know this local bike club its something that may intrest me once i'm up to speed and used to the bike. but i may just be getting ahead of myself. Also if you do go along let us know how it goes.

I'm an exiled Buddie who now lives over in Dunbartonshire, so the club I'm looking at ride from Clydebank. Still, not a million miles from the fair town, right enough (indeed, probably not much further from Paisley than it is from where I stay), assuming you can fire the bike in the car to get there.

I'll be giving it a try, though it might have to wait until their March introductory ride (they have one on the first Saturday of each month), as I'm battling a particularly ferocious lurgy at the moment :(

I'm not sure if I'll sign up as a regular member for training rides etc., but I reckon it's worth dipping a toe in the water. What harm can it do?

It might be possible to use your current pump. What make and model is it?

My mini-pump takes Presta and Schraeder valves, but not all do.

I use a CO2 inflator for the road bike. It's been flawless so far.

Edited by Drooper

Got a run out on the new bike. Have a question looking at the valves does the road bike require a,different air pump. Or will my mini pump I have do?

Like Drooper says, depends on the valve its suited to.

TBH I think a great investment is a proper track pump, as its essential you inflate your tyres on a road bike to 100- 120 psi.

Most of the time this is difficult to achieve with a hand pump and realkly you should take this out with you in case of a puncture for "get home" reasons

If you go out with your tyres under inflated, you'll be more prone to punctures caiused by checking of the tyre/ tube.

I check and inflate my tyres to 100 psi before every trip out

The Joe Blow one imo is a good investment

Got a run out on the new bike. Have a question looking at the valves does the road bike require a,different air pump. Or will my mini pump I have do?

They are most likely Presta instead of Schraeder...?

Schraeder are used on cars and lots of other things including bikes.

Presta are bike specific ( as far as I know..?) and you need a pump that will fit this design. You also need to unscrew the' top bit' before you attach the pump.

Take off the valve cover, unscrew the valve pretty much as far as you can before connecting the pump. Once you have reached the desired pressure disconnect and screw the valve 'back in' before replacing the valve cover.

I haven't checked, but there will probably be a vid on you tube..!

It was new to me some years ago and they still drive me nuts when trying to get them up to 80+ psi........ more down to my cheap pump though.....!

The mini pump and larger pump I have do both types, I also have some older style pumps that only work with Schrader style valves.

Basically if you can't use the forecourt pump its a Presta valve..........

Hope this helps, I have been to the local had a few............?

+ 1 for a track pump. I've got a Blackburn.

The CO2 inflates the tyre to 100psi in around 2 seconds. Ideal for roadside flats. As UtN says, tyre pressure is critical on a road bike. I usually pump mine up to 120psi in summer, and at least 100 the rest of the time. 120psi will feel rock hard, but rolling resistance and puncture protection is much improved.

Edited by Drooper

Wasn't out today as roads too icy early on, but planning to do club run tomorrow, which will be around 50-60 miles, so hopefully no ice or wind.

Seasons reliability trials start next week and are held every Sunday in February.

(never done them before and a bit apprehensive!)

Due to work commitments, I can only manage next Sundays.

Drove route in car today and tbh , I'm glad!!

Total of 58 miles with route out basically a gradual climb for 20 miles..route back, flatter, but a couple of steep killer climbs in last 15 miles :(

Thats not really small and handy looking for one to take with me

Like I said, the majority of the portable pumps are for "get home" use only.

These pumps are for inflating tyres to correct psi every time before you go out, whic is a must.

I inflate mine to 100 psi every Saturday and by following Saturday, they're down to around 60psi.

You'll really find it difficult to inflate road bike tyres to 100- 120 psi with a hand pump

Edited by Unleash The Nade

Aye, but they are for pre-ride tyre inflation. You'll get nothing close to the required pressure with a mini-pump, which is why I have a CO2 inflator for my rides. You could get a frame fitting pump that will do both jobs, but a track pump is a must for me.

Edit: meant to quote paisleysaints post about track pump not being portable.

Edited by Drooper

Like I said, the majority of the portable pumps are for "get home" use only.

These pumps are for inflating tyres to correct psi every time before you go out, whic is a must.

I inflate mine to 100 psi every Saturday and by following Saturday, they're down to around 60psi.

You'll really find it difficult to inflate road bike tyres to 100- 120 psi with a hand pump

Ah you learn something new everyday. New to the road bike game.

I got just under 20 today need to get a decent set of gloves. I have full finger ones but they are lightweight

Worth investing in a wee set of the lightweight glove liners.

They cost about £5.00 from Decathalon and a) Although really thin add extra insulation and b) Stop your main gloves getting manky and honking with sweaty hands

Another wee tip to stop you getting frozen feet in the winter.

If you have cycle shoes, theyr'e basically fullof air vents, which are great in the Summer, but shite in the Winter.

You can buy various types of overshoes to help waterproof/ insulate your feet, but if oon a long run, its amazing how quickly your feet get cold.

Wear a couple of pair of thin socks, buit after putting on first pair, wrap your feet in a couple of layers of cling film!!

Gives extra waterproofing, but more importantly, improved insulation.

I know it sounds a bit daft, but believe me , well worth it and keeps your feet smelling fresh!! :D

Worth investing in a wee set of the lightweight glove liners.

They cost about £5.00 from Decathalon and a) Although really thin add extra insulation and b) Stop your main gloves getting manky and honking with sweaty hands

Cheaper than a new pair. She is gonna love me just got a new speedo now need a pump inner tubes and gloves lol

Cheaper than a new pair. She is gonna love me just got a new speedo now need a pump inner tubes and gloves lol

Believe me.....it gets fucking worse!!

My missus dreads every time I go on a cycle website or visit a shop.

However, depends on what level youare / want to get to PS...Some of the guys in our club have just forked out £2000 for a set of carbon wheels !!!!

Takes around 3 lbs off the weight of the bike, but quite honestly, much cheaper to go for a really good dump before you go out :lol: