Official P&b Cycling Thread

I've made an arse of insuring the wee run around so will be using the bike until Friday (pay-day) when I can remedy this situation.

The forecast looks decent, as it happens, but I've got a lingering lurgie of some description, so this could be a challenge.

I'm undecided as to which bike to take. I always intend to take the MTB but opt for the roadie at the last minute.

I've not forgotten about the PMs to Team P&B members, BTW. I need to get my finger out my arse on this one (though I've found that leaving it in there makes my turbo-training sessions more interesting :ph34r: ). I'll be in touch properly this week for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Cycled to Balloch and back at the weekend just over 40 miles and also Lochwinnoch and back so about 60 miles in total.

there you go drooper at your request lol

Good man - I stay near Balloch so could have given you a push if you were struggling! :P

One of toughest runs I've done today ( well first half anyway)

Headed off from Larbert into a really strong westerly headwind.

Up through Carron Bridge and in to Fintry, then up and over hills and down into Kippen.

The first 23 miles were almost all straight into the wind with some long climbs.

However , coming back along the Kippen flats with the wind at our back,we tried to hold a time trial formation for 10 miles and averaged 26 mph doing this.

Through Cambusbarron, Stirling and back to Larbert.

48 miles in just over 3 hours...legs now gowping

Edited by Unleash The Nade

One of toughest runs I've done today ( well first half anyway)

Headed off from Larbert into a really strong westerly headwind.

Up through Carron Bridge and in to Fintry, then up and over hills and down into Kippen.

The first 23 miles were almost all straight into the wind with some long climbs.

However , coming back along the Kippen flats with the wind at our back,we tried to hold a time trial formation for 10 miles and averaged 26 mph doing this.

Through Cambusbarron, Stirling and back to Larbert.

48 miles in just over 3 hours...legs now gowping

Averaging 26mph, FFS. You're taking this hell of a seriously! I hope you're happy to reel it back a bit when Team P&B get together.

Cards on the table, this is the kind of thing that puts me off club riding. What happens if you get up in the morning and just fancy an easy trundle to take in the sights and get some fresh air with a couple of wee breaks to enjoy the view? The idea of some racing snake with OCD telling me to fall into 'time trial formation' when I'm quite happy doing what I'm doing doesn't really appeal.

Tell me what I'm missing....

Averaging 26mph, FFS. You're taking this hell of a seriously! I hope you're happy to reel it back a bit when Team P&B get together.

Cards on the table, this is the kind of thing that puts me off club riding. What happens if you get up in the morning and just fancy an easy trundle to take in the sights and get some fresh air with a couple of wee breaks to enjoy the view? The idea of some racing snake with OCD telling me to fall into 'time trial formation' when I'm quite happy doing what I'm doing doesn't really appeal.

Tell me what I'm missing....

Hold on ,....read the post Drooper

Averaged 26 for 10 miles , not the full run!!

Against the wind and uphill, I would probabaly have been faster getting off and pushing my bike.

The 26mph, was mainly on the flat with strong tailwind

Hold on ,....read the post Drooper

Averaged 26 for 10 miles , not the full run!!

Against the wind and uphill, I would probabaly have been faster getting off and pushing my bike.

The 26mph, was mainly on the flat with strong tailwind

Aye, but even for 10 miles!

Do you find a major benefit in taking a turn on someone else's wheel?

I've to take a detour into work tomorrow past my GP and the route I've planned in my head involves cycling down Dundee's Hilltown.

For those who don't know it, it's roughly a 1 in 10 slope. Best make sure my brakes are working fine :lol:

I've to take a detour into work tomorrow past my GP and the route I've planned in my head involves cycling down Dundee's Hilltown.

For those who don't know it, it's roughly a 1 in 10 slope. Best make sure my brakes are working fine :lol:

You'll be lucky if you still have two wheels by the time you get to the bottom. Thieving cnuts in the Hilltoon.

Aye, but even for 10 miles!

Do you find a major benefit in taking a turn on someone else's wheel?

Aye major benefit

Its probabaly the main difference/ advantage I've see when group riding, as even against a gentle headwind, you feel a big difference when not at the front of the group and sheltered by those ahead of you.

Solo riding is much harder to be honest

In answer to your other questions Drooper, being in a club doesnt mean you have to go out with them and tbh,If I fancy just going out and about myself, then I do.

The main reason I joined was to get fitter, loose weight and have the option to ride with others, as and when I wanted to.

I feel that when you'e out on your own,the solidute and being able to do what you want is great, but at times I wasnt really pushing myself, would sometimes take shortcuts and plan routes to avoid hills.( not to mention visit wee cafes for a scone!!)

With a group you all encourage each other along and ride with people of the same ability.

Its also given me much more confidence in bike skills, what I can and cant do and as mentioned above, experienced the benefits of group riding v's solo, but I admit, both have their pros and cons.

If anyone is thinking about joining a club, the most important thing is you find out that they have different group outings for varying levels of ability, as this is much less intimidating and really encourages you andf equally important, you can pick and choose when and who you go out with, without any pressure .

I never ever thought I would join a cycle club as was convinced it just wasn't for me, but I have to be honest and say I absolutely love it, but appreciate ,its not for everyone

Edited by Unleash The Nade

Aye major benefit

Its probabaly the main difference/ advantage I've see when group riding, as even against a gentle headwind, you feel a big difference when not at the front of the group and sheltered by those ahead of you.

So I'm more hardcore than you even though I average about 17mph?

Nice 8)

:P

So I'm more hardcore than you even though I average about 17mph?

Nice 8)

:P

You probably are !! :D .

I've added to above post and given as wee bit more feedback on club membership as you asked.

Being a "Cubie" you should give it a wee go without any initial commitment.

If you hate it, nothing lost

Aye major benefit

In answer to your other questions Drooper, being in a club doesnt mean you have to go out with them and tbh,If I fancy just going out and about myself, then I do.

The main reason I joined was to get fitter, loose weight and have the option to ride with others, as and when I wanted to.

I feel that when you'e out on your own,the solidute and being able to do what you want is great, but at times I wasnt really pushing myself, would sometimes take shortcuts and plan routes to avoid hills.( not to mention visit wee cafes for a scone!!)

With a group you all encourage each other along and ride with people of the same ability.

Its also given me much more confidence in bike skills, what I can and cant do and as mentioned above, experienced the benefits of group riding v's solo, but I admit, both have their pros and cons.

If anyone is thinking about joining a club, the most important thing is you find out that they have different group outings for varying levels of ability, as this is much less intimidating and really encourages you andf equally important, you can pick and choose when and who you go out with, without any pressure .

I never ever thought I would join a cycle club as was convinced it just wasn't for me, but I have to be honest and say I absolutely love it, but appreciate ,its not for everyone

Cheers for that.

I am certainly considering a novice ride with a local club in the next couple of months.

I can absolutely appreciate the plus points you refer to, and, as you say, the option to fly solo is always there in any event.

I'll most likely give it a go, as I would like the option of group riding, and as I have no close mates who are into road riding, this is something that I can't arrange myself. Ideally, I'd go riding with a couple of mates, but most of my lot are lazy fuckers who enjoy their ale too much.

ETA: I've emailed a local club with a view to joining then for a novice diddy ride sometime soon.

Edited by Drooper

Cheers for that.

I am certainly considering a novice ride with a local club in the next couple of months.

I can absolutely appreciate the plus points you refer to, and, as you say, the option to fly solo is always there in any event.

I'll most likely give it a go, as I would like the option of group riding, and as I have no close mates who are into road riding, this is something that I can't arrange myself. Ideally, I'd go riding with a couple of mates, but most of my lot are lazy fuckers who enjoy their ale too much.

ETA: I've emailed a local club with a view to joining then for a novice diddy ride sometime soon.

Good stuff Drooper

Once you have a few gos,Im sure you'll get hooked ;)

I know a few guys are looking to take the plunge and give road biking a go. I was idly browsing another forum and found a link to this bike. For £500, this looks a steal. A mixture of Tiagra components with a 105 rear mech and some other nice touches. GF bikes are made by Trek, so this has good heritage. My MTB is a GF and it hasn't missed a beat over the years of use and misuse.

If I was looking to embark on road cycling, I would seriously consider this bike as a starting point. In fact, if I'd a spare £500 just now, I reckon I might snap one up as a winter trainer as they can take 25mm tyres with guards.

Edited by Drooper

I know a few guys are looking to take the plunge and give road biking a go. I was idly browsing another forum and found a link to this bike. For £500, this looks a steal. A mixture of Tiagra components with a 105 rear mech and some other nice touches. GF bikes are made by Trek, so this has good heritage. My MTB is a GF and it hasn't missed a beat over the years of use and misuse.

If I was looking to embark on road cycling, I would seriously consider this bike as a starting point. In fact, if I'd a spare £500 just now, I reckon I might snap one up as a winter trainer as they can take 25mm tyres with guards.

Cracking bike for the money!!

Store collection only and I think they are down in Sheffield area!!!

Wonder how long it'll take Monkeyblair to have a go at you mentioning mudguards!!!:D

Cracking bike for the money!!

Store collection only and I think they are down in Sheffield area!!!

Wonder how long it'll take Monkeyblair to have a go at you mentioning mudguards!!!:D

Real men wear mudguards! :P

I didn't realise it was store collection right enough. Still, possibly worth the jaunt based on the price. In saying that, I've always thought that if you call a shop up and negotiate well enough, they might consider sending something on.

ETA: on the mudguards theme, I received a response from the local bike club to my discreet enquiry about joining them for a novice diddies ride sometime. The guy kindly attached a wee note with some guidelines on group riding, and this included a reference to mudguards being 'preferred'. It's clearly good etiquette not to spray shite in the faces of your riding companions!

Edited by Drooper

Real mean wear mudguards! :P

I didn't realise it was store collection right enough. Still, possibly worth the jaunt based on the price. In saying that, I've always thought that if you call a shop up and negotiate well enough, they might consider sending something on.

ETA: on the mudguards theme, I received a response from the local bike club to my discreet enquiry about joining them for a novice diddies ride sometime. The guy kindly attached a wee note with some guidelines on group riding, and this included a reference to mudguards being 'preferred'. It's clearly good etiquette not to spray shite in the faces of your riding companions!

Spot on

During winter runs, our club insists you need to have mudguards fitted, exectly for this reason.

However,I'd expect MB would come back clean as a whistle ,as would constantly be at the front ;)

Thats a nice looking bike Gary fisher one. I've just bought "Specialized Allez Triple 2012 Road Bike" should be getting it this week. so drooper as your from around my area (I think) let me know this local bike club its something that may intrest me once i'm up to speed and used to the bike. but i may just be getting ahead of myself. Also if you do go along let us know how it goes.

And on mudguards got a set for my hybrid bike but i may transfer the back one onto the new bike for the raining days

Edited by paisleysaints