Official P&b Cycling Thread

Some of the KOMs on the aulder versions of Strava were (on wee segments I had set up) folk going up steep hills at about 30mph and it's clearly folk in their motors. It does make you wonder why they bother. 

1 minute ago, Busta Nut said:

Some of the KOMs on the aulder versions of Strava were (on wee segments I had set up) folk going up steep hills at about 30mph and it's clearly folk in their motors. It does make you wonder why they bother. 

Strava's Match climbing challenge has some mental figures at the top. It looks as though quite a few folk are just doing massive hill repeats on Zwift. 

2 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

I've never bothered with any of the challenges, but you are spot on about some of the KOMs. 

To be fair, in most cases it's not deliberate.  It's people doing a session on their bike (usually MTB) and forgetting to switch the app off before the get into the car to drive home.  Those cases are easy to spot and flag.

32 minutes ago, Gnash said:

I've never bothered with any of the challenges, but you are spot on about some of the KOMs. 

To be fair, in most cases it's not deliberate.  It's people doing a session on their bike (usually MTB) and forgetting to switch the app off before the get into the car to drive home.  Those cases are easy to spot and flag.

Probably explains the (bike) journeys on various motorways in the heatmap https://www.strava.com/heatmap#16.56/-3.39159/56.07685/hot/ride

I haven’t had a bike for years now but I’ve decided I should probably get back into it to help my knees for hillwalking, as advised by the physio. I’m not wanting to spend a fortune on a bike yet I’m not keen for a second hand one off eBay or that.

I’m half thinking I’d quite like to get a cyclocross bike as they look like they’d be good on the road and be able to handle rougher tracks as well.

Been doing a bit of looking around and I’ve seen something which is screaming to me too good to be true - or is it legit? A brand of bike called “Sunspeed” that’s made in China. They look alright, fine for my needs really - and the price is reasonable. Just worried I’ll get scammed! I have heard of Alibaba before.

https://m.alibaba.com/product/62241137305/Sunpeed-700C-Gravel-Bike-Disc-Road.html?mark=google_shopping&src=sem_ggl&mark=shopping&cmpgn=12058145687&adgrp=115623119665&locintrst=&locphyscl=1007345&ntwrk=u&device=m&dvcmdl=&position=&pla_adtype=&pla_mrctid=255004184&pla_channel=online&pla_prdid=62241137305&pla_country=GB&pla_lang=en&pla_group=1125668278518&pla_localcode=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkcvc_6Kk7wIVi9_tCh2S-wY4EAQYASABEgIk_fD_BwE#shopping-ads

Anyone got any thoughts?

All I can say is that the bike is definitely entry level going by the specs. If you got into riding a lot then you'd be looking at buying a new bike rather than upgrading this one. My worry is that the components are poor and break quickly forcing you to buy new ones.

Personally I'd be checking out decathlon if you're looking in that price range.

If you do buy it, let us know what it's like as I'd be keen to know!

All I can say is that the bike is definitely entry level going by the specs. If you got into riding a lot then you'd be looking at buying a new bike rather than upgrading this one. My worry is that the components are poor and break quickly forcing you to buy new ones.
Personally I'd be checking out decathlon if you're looking in that price range.
If you do buy it, let us know what it's like as I'd be keen to know!

Yeah that’s fine, entry level is all I need. Just something to zip about to the shops and maybe take up a forestry track or something.

Had a look at Decathlon just there, their entry level equivalent is nearly 200 quid more and a lot of the reviews are saying the tyres are shite - so I’d need to buy a new set of them!

There’s a few videos on YouTube of folk using Sunpeed bikes, loads of Phillipinos it would seem and I can’t find anyone in the UK who has reviewed one!

If I get one I’ll keep you updated with how it all goes...going to mull it over for now. I have no idea what this guy is saying but I’m getting #goodvibes from him regarding the bike.

https://youtu.be/BKFTkMsb3lw

8 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Yeah that’s fine, entry level is all I need. Just something to zip about to the shops and maybe take up a forestry track or something.

Had a look at Decathlon just there, their entry level equivalent is nearly 200 quid more and a lot of the reviews are saying the tyres are shite - so I’d need to buy a new set of them!

There’s a few videos on YouTube of folk using Sunpeed bikes, loads of Phillipinos it would seem and I can’t find anyone in the UK who has reviewed one!

If I get one I’ll keep you updated with how it all goes...going to mull it over for now. I have no idea what this guy is saying but I’m getting #goodvibes from him regarding the bike.

https://youtu.be/BKFTkMsb3lw

I started out on one of Decathlon's bikes (via the Cycle to Work scheme) - It was a B'Twin Ultra AF105 . They are a bit pricier than the one you're looking at but much better value than the major manufacturers for similar spec components.

Decathlon will use Shimano for almost all their models. I got about 5500 miles out of mine without having to renew any major components - it now lives on my smart trainer (I bought a Giant Endurance bike last year for outdoor stuff). 

Edited by Day of the Lords

13 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

Been doing a bit of looking around and I’ve seen something which is screaming to me too good to be true - or is it legit? A brand of bike called “Sunspeed” that’s made in China

Easier to view the spec of what you’re getting here. https://www.cyclobikessg.com/hybrid/p/sunspeed-kepler

I was told in the 90s to walk away if the components aren’t Shimano or Campagnolo. Don’t know whether that’s still the case, but all the recognised brands in the UK seem to stick with those options.

8 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Yeah there is but I’m concerned at what happens if I leave the company!

You pay the remainder of what is left. I did it recently. Had a few months left of payments, and it was taken from my final pay.

2 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

perhaps the experienced guys could point out bikes for the newbies 

My experience is more through age than expertise. I’m currently riding a Pinnacle Neon 1 Hybrid bicycle with upgraded saddle, brake pads and tyres. Hopefully my pros and cons might be useful considerations for someone.

Things I like about it: 

• It’s got rim brakes, a single chainring and no suspension making it relatively light. 
  • The 8 gears give me enough range for my needs and I don’t have to worry about cross-chaining.
  • The rim brakes and single chainring also make it easier to maintain. 
  • The flat handlebar makes it more stable than bikes with drop handlebars. 
  • The lower price (under £350) means it’s automatically covered on my home insurance.
  • I can happily go out on it for 2hr road rides, but it doesn’t look out of place when accompanying Funky Junior on his MTB along the Water of Leith.

Downsides: 

• The flat handlebar reduces your hand placement options which can become uncomfortable on longer rides. 
  • On anything more challenging than a forest path, the lack of suspension leads to sore wrists and knees.
  • Evans Cycles has now been taken over by Sports Direct and their customer support has suffered as a result.

If you’re looking for second hand bikes in Edinburgh, I can recommend Soul Cycles near Tollcross.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking to track my rides in a bit more detail than just location and distance on Strava with my smartphone and was looking at fitness trackers but some seem a bit hit and miss. The Fitbit Charge 4 was one I was looking at as it has built in GPS but there seems to be a lot of reports that the GPS signal is pretty rotten. Cheap ones still need to be tethered to your smart phone which is what I am trying to "free" myself from.

I've ended up looking at a smart watch, the Garmin Vivoactive 3 which, whilst old, seems to have good reviews and the GPS seems pretty good. I can order it through Amazon US for about £50 cheaper than any of the UK stores here (even with shipping etc) but is there any reason why a a US Vivoactive wouldn't work here? I can't think of anything but maybe I am missing something obvious.

Thanks.

Been going out 6/7 mile ish rides on my lunch break recently. Went for one today, and managed to fall off before I'd even left my street 😂 moral of the story: if you've forgotten to put your gloves on, just stop to do it, don't try putting them on while moving.

Thankfully no witnesses.

Edited by die hard doonhamer