Official P&b Cycling Thread

12 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Better than not having one isn't it? 

I don't get the argument at all for not wearing one, it's not going to do you any harm in a crash, but it might save you allot of hurt. 

Isn't that just an argument for wearing a helmet when travelling in a car, walking on the pavement, doing DIY etc.?

If I had been wearing one in the house last year it would have saved me a lot of hurt when I hit my forehead on the edge of a door.

8 minutes ago, Bold Rover said:

I'm an experienced, geriatric, Ayrshire cyclist. But I, personally, wouldn't choose to cycle the A77 from Turnberry to Girvan. I'd go up Drumdow Road and over the minor roads of the lands of Turnberry. Better views and avoids the fast traffic.

I saw the sign post for that route but it looked too hilly for me. Is it the busyness of that stretch of road that puts you off?

6 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

Isn't that just an argument for wearing a helmet when travelling in a car, walking on the pavement, doing DIY etc.?

If I had been wearing one in the house last year it would have saved me a lot of hurt when I hit my forehead on the edge of a door.

I don't go about my house at 50km/h.

4 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I saw the sign post for that route but it looked too hilly for me. Is it the busyness of that stretch of road that puts you off?

Yes. The boy racers from Girvan can be a bit mental. And the lorries heading for Ireland. The lands of Turnberry are hilly, but glorious cycling.

10 minutes ago, Bold Rover said:

Yes. The boy racers from Girvan can be a bit mental. And the lorries heading for Ireland. The lands of Turnberry are hilly, but glorious cycling.

Yeah there was quite a few lorries today and motorbikes zooming by. Thankfully no boy racers though. I hope one day I’ll be able to do the hill routes

If you were doing that sort of work professionally on a building site you would be required to wear a hard hat to reduce the effects of such injuries.
If I'm just pootling about near the house with my daughter for 5minutes I probably wouldn't wear a helmet but I definitely would if out on a longer ride. I didn't know there is any sort of debate but I do know that one of my work colleagues came off her bike a few years ago landing in a burn head-first. She broke her neck and smashed her face in but was told she would have died if it wasn't for her helmet (which broke in two).

1 minute ago, Archie McSquackle said:

If you were doing that sort of work professionally on a building site you would be required to wear a hard hat to reduce the effects of such injuries.
If I'm just pootling about near the house with my daughter for 5minutes I probably wouldn't wear a helmet but I definitely would if out on a longer ride. I didn't know there is any sort of debate but I do know that one of my work colleagues came off her bike a few years ago landing in a burn head-first. She broke her neck and smashed her face in but was told she would have died if it wasn't for her helmet (which broke in two).

Jeez. Reminded me of a local woman who died about 30 years ago when she came off her bike on a windy day. Her head hit the pavement and she died. A helmet would have probably have saved her life. My parents were always going on at me to wear one when I went out cycling and I never did. My old man passed away in Feb and I decided to wear his old helmet in some sort of honour to him. I hope he is approving 

1 hour ago, Day of the Lords said:

Has anyone cycled the A9 from John o'Groats to Inverness? Just wondering how mental the traffic is on that stretch at night. 

I've never cycled it, but a decent chunk of the road is boy racer central at night, especially between the Dornoch Bridge and Inverness. At least during the day in the summer you could come off the A9 at Tain and use the Nigg ferry to get to Inverness via the Black Isle.

8 hours ago, Shotgun said:

How about in your car?

The car itself has safety precautions which protect me in a crash, airbags and seatbealts and other cool neat stuff. 

If I'm riding a motorbike which doesn't have those things I'd absolutely wear a helmet. 

I've never cycled it, but a decent chunk of the road is boy racer central at night, especially between the Dornoch Bridge and Inverness. At least during the day in the summer you could come off the A9 at Tain and use the Nigg ferry to get to Inverness via the Black Isle.
I wondered if that might be the case. Planning an epic so time is going to be a factor

12 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I did 12 miles tonight but I didn’t enjoy it. I had to get off and push the bike up hills a few times and I also spent a few miles “free wheeling”. I’m only counting it as 10 miles today

Where did you go? I'm curious to know which hills defeated you and could probably make some useful route suggestions.

22 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

Has anyone cycled the A9 from John o'Groats to Inverness? Just wondering how mental the traffic is on that stretch at night. 

Not something I would attempt.  Good Luck. 

The boy racers are the least of your worries, expect no respect from the lorries. 

20 minutes ago, Bold Rover said:

Where did you go? I'm curious to know which hills defeated you and could probably make some useful route suggestions.

I went to a place called Old Dailly, then down a farm road to the other “main” road and past the industrial estate and Grants. 

9 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I went to a place called Old Dailly, then down a farm road to the other “main” road and past the industrial estate and Grants. 

Aye, lots of hills, but wonderful cycling country. From Old Dailly you will have descended and crossed the River Girvan then climbed up to the road to pass Grant's and back to the A77. We'll need to get you off the main road into the hills, away from McBurney's lorries!

1 hour ago, Bold Rover said:

Aye, lots of hills, but wonderful cycling country. From Old Dailly you will have descended and crossed the River Girvan then climbed up to the road to pass Grant's and back to the A77. We'll need to get you off the main road into the hills, away from McBurney's lorries!

Yip that’s the route, the hills were fairly wee but I just can’t do them! Haha yeah if it ain’t the McBurney lorries it’s the Mulgrew ones 😑