Official P&b Cycling Thread

1 hour ago, Ingo ohne Flamingo said:

Also curious to see what bikes people have? I'm currently still jumping about in a 300 quid Carrera Subway One rigid Hybrid which has been great for me, got it serviced yesterday so I'm in no rush to change it yet but I'll likely be giving it to my son at some point and get myself something better. Only last week I done a 55km run out in it in 1h 59mins and 59secs! average speed of 27.5km so I get some good speed out of it but I'm hoping that something a bit lighter with a better gear ratio might let me get some higher speeds.

Talking of average speeds, according to Strava I've clocked the fastest time between Bonnybridge lifting bridge and the Kelpies this year 😂

A Triban 120. Bought because some internet reviews said it was decent, reckon if it had a good bloke on it then it could go at some speed, as it is... 

IMG_20200604_155149.thumb.jpg.fe34f3edf38b534a2f0b24b3e4d77153.jpg

1 hour ago, Grant228 said:

A Triban 120. Bought because some internet reviews said it was decent, reckon if it had a good bloke on it then it could go at some speed, as it is... 

IMG_20200604_155149.thumb.jpg.fe34f3edf38b534a2f0b24b3e4d77153.jpg

https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/bikes/road-bikes/triban-rc120-review/

Just read this! I'm not wanting to spunk 4 figures on a bike like I know many who have done, reading this review tells me I don't need to spend that much for a decent bike. 

1 hour ago, Ingo ohne Flamingo said:

https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/bikes/road-bikes/triban-rc120-review/

Just read this! I'm not wanting to spunk 4 figures on a bike like I know many who have done, reading this review tells me I don't need to spend that much for a decent bike. 

I'm by no means an expert but I like it so far, maybe worth spending the extra cash money if you want some better disk brakes? I manage fine enough though. 

29 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

I'm by no means an expert but I like it so far, maybe worth spending the extra cash money if you want some better disk brakes? I manage fine enough though. 

The review suggested the breaks on the sub 400 quid model were excellent. I have disks on my current bike which I do like however, whether it's worth the extra 100 odd quid? Nae idea

7 hours ago, Ingo ohne Flamingo said:

When do you guys tend to do your big run outs and how many km do you average a week? I've just returned to work from Furlough and now wondering when is best to fit in my rides. Whilst I was off I was able to go out for anything between an hour to 3 hours, last week I managed 255km. However being back at work and going home to a young family is not going to help me much! Still wanting to try and average 150km to 200km a week without pissing off the boss.

That's a really good distance.  I cycle most days with a long ride (100km+) at the weekend and did 7000km last year (on the road).  Lockdown is a mixed blessing because I can go for more rides as I work from home (lunch hour!), but miss the group rides with the bike club at the weekend.

Over the summer you can do rides until pretty late in the evening and if you're an early riser that's an option too.

I'm on a Giant Defy Advanced 2. Previous bike was a BTwin Ultra AF 105 which had similar spec to Cannondales costing twice as much. Decathlon are fucking brilliant for bike options when you're getting into cycling. It might be worth holding off until their stores open for a proper look at the range. They've got superstores in Edinburgh and Paisley I think. You could quite easily spend all day, and all your money in there.

Would anyone on here loudly pass remark on some complete stranger and their family for not wearing helmets whilst the family were cycling very slowly along a quiet pedestrianised street? 

I accept that we should generally wear helmets and normally do, but there is no law for anyone of any age to do so. So quite why some fat old c**t on a road bike felt obliged to make some passive aggressive remark whilst bombing past on Kelvin Way today I don’t know.

Would anyone on here loudly pass remark on some complete stranger and their family for not wearing helmets whilst the family were cycling very slowly along a quiet pedestrianised street? 

I accept that we should generally wear helmets and normally do, but there is no law for anyone of any age to do so. So quite why some fat old c**t on a road bike felt obliged to make some passive aggressive remark whilst bombing past on Kelvin Way today I don’t know.
I always wear one now. When I started road biking I didn't bother. My other half them got a life changing head injury and that kind of woke me up to say the least. I wouldn't pass comment to anyone else either though, ultimately its personal choice.

1 hour ago, Snobot said:

You’ll always get some sanctimonious arsehole spouting their opinion. I collected my bike from the repair shop on Tue and was cycling it home without a helmet. Some twat on a road bike all decked out like he was Bradley Wiggins shouted “HELMET”. Any time I go out of town on the main roads I wear one, but in town I never have. 

Further to my post above, do all you guys wear the cycling gear when you’re out? I wear jeans and trainers and then I get the “Team Sky” type cyclists bombing past me and I feel a bit of a loser 
No. Shorts and t shirt for me

Another spin over to Culross today (27 miles). Cafe there is serving coffees and scones etc through a hatch and there's some tables and chairs. Feels like luxury!

Caught a couple of squally showers into the teeth of the wind on the way back, but neither lasted too long.

Further to my post above, do all you guys wear the cycling gear when you’re out? I wear jeans and trainers and then I get the “Team Sky” type cyclists bombing past me and I feel a bit of a loser 
Aye. I quickly learned that anything over 15 miles on a road bike without padded shorts at least was a terrible idea.

1 hour ago, Day of the Lords said:
4 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Aye. I quickly learned that anything over 15 miles on a road bike without padded shorts at least was a terrible idea.

This is true. However you can get liners on their own and then just wear baggies over the top if you don't wanna go lycra. I am too old for lycra. 

7 hours ago, Snobot said:

I wear a helmet but the evidence of benefit is arguable, and argued. I know some experienced, expert cyclists who decline to wear one, after carefully considering the debate.

3 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:
6 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I’m discovering that! I actually ordered a padded seat cover from eBay today. 

26 minutes ago, Bold Rover said:

I wear a helmet but the evidence of benefit is arguable, and argued. I know some experienced, expert cyclists who decline to wear one, after carefully considering the debate.

Are they not that protective then? The one I have is basically polystyrene with a plastic covering and I did wonder how much “good” it would actually do if I was to have a fall 

8 hours ago, Snobot said:

I used to cycle fairly long distances commuting in London for several years, and quite often blootered on the way home, barely capable of walking far less cycling. Scrapes and bruises all over, but never once on my head. I wouldn't take this as H&S advice.