Official P&b Cycling Thread

2 hours ago, the snudge said:

Looking for a bit of advice. I'm looking to replace the chain on my bike. Can someone point me in the right direction. It's a Boardman Road SPORT 2013–2014

It's done me 5 years and the chain is a bit knackered looking. Searches have become fruitless or crazy import prices. Where is the best place to buy and what chain do I get? 

Cheers! 

Check chain reaction website, you need to know how many speed the cassette is before ordering. You might also need to change that if changing the chain as well, look and see if the teeth look look worn, will look like shark teeth.

6 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

That’s a beauty. I’ve got a Voodoo Nakisi hybrid just now and whilst I love it it’s a bit heavy for the longer pedals. Got it on the bike to work scheme and it’s up in July. Quite sure I’ll get a proper racer this summer and get clipped in etc. 

5b60b42493315d6f02102d64

Yeah, my dad got one a couple of years ago and I've been jealous of it ever since, it's a cracking bike. I'll be using the cycle to work scheme to get it.

This is my current bike, picked it up last year from the bike station in Perth, no idea what it is. I got it just to prove to myself that I would cycle to work regularly, and I really enjoyed doing so.

IMG_20200506_154254.thumb.jpg.3664e54808fde26be224d44491ceabc0.jpg

4 hours ago, Papad said:

What speed is it? Count the cogs on the cassette to find out. 

A quick search if your bike says it might be an 8 speed. You should be able to pick up KMC 8 speed chain cheaply.

Thanks dude! Much appreciated! 

3 hours ago, stu_mfc said:

Check chain reaction website, you need to know how many speed the cassette is before ordering. You might also need to change that if changing the chain as well, look and see if the teeth look look worn, will look like shark teeth.

I think it's 12-26 casette

9 hours ago, stu_mfc said:

You are better off changing all drivetrain rings at the same time. Cassette, chain and chainset big/wee ring, otherwise you end up with uneven wear which wears the collective out quicker. 

On 25/04/2020 at 20:41, C. Muir said:

Running is a non starter for a lazy, unfit c**t like me so thought cycling would be the next best thing. The experienced riders (heh heh) on the thread will probably snigger at these times but first 5k the other day in 22:43 was bettered by tonights effort at 20:38. Don't know whether to keep trying to better that time over that distance or try and tackle longer distances. My first outing was actually a 10k in total (5 to destination, 5 back) but I only timed 5k of it. The 5k back was a slog at snails pace anyway as I was blowing out my arse! :lol: 

Folk are right about the difference in mental state though. Was bored out my skull earlier resulting in a downer of a mood; amazing what difference even a short outing of 20 mins makes.

You're quite lucky where you live that you're next to the canal. Canal routes are great for the simple reason they are flat. I got back into cycling at the start of Lockdown, started out with a 16k run out increasing that to 20k, I then pushed and pushed again and now I have a 26k route that I do every day at the very least. Takes me bang on an hour to do that but as others have mentioned I wouldn't get caught up on speed. 26km/h is quite slow compared to the seasoned cyclists. 

Try cycling to the Falkirk wheel and back, then do the Kelpies and back. Take as many breaks as you want, there's no rush. 

And your last point, absolutely! My knees aren't cut out for road running plus I find it incredibly boring so the bike is great, plenty of fresh air, see plenty of places, a nice escape from the house and ultimately your fitness improves. I've lost 6kg since Lockdown and despite swapping roll & bacon or Square for rice crispies and sprite for diluting juice plus reduced the off dairy milk, my food portion sizes have not changed and still eating the same stuff. 

Definitely get in to it. Last bit of advice and one I picked up on obly recently, make sure your saddle is at the correct height! Mines wasn't for a long time and my thighs were killing me. Sat on your saddle with your toe on the pedal you should have a slight bend at the knee, your leg should be straight with your heel on the peddle. What a difference that made!! 

1 hour ago, Ingo ohne Flamingo said:

What bike tech have guys got? Currently I don't have anything but I would like a GPS computer with a cadence sensor but no idea what to get, also don't want to break the bank for it either. 

I've just got a basic Garmin vivoactive smart watch. It's a jack of all trades that tracks cycling/running/swimming/golf. I want to get a cadence monitor though to give me something to constantly concentrate on (as well as either a mount to put my watch out in front of me, or a proper bike computer).

I went a bit further on Thursday, 22.65km in an hour and 7 minutes, my back was in bits by the end of it. Think I'll look to order a new bike this week or so, I've managed to talk myself up to going for the Croix De Fer 20 rather than the 10. My concern though is what size to order, according to the size chart I sit in the small overlap between the small and medium frame, would people tend to go bigger or smaller?

1 minute ago, Ingo ohne Flamingo said:

Aye that's what I'm using just now. Seems to be doing the job. Definitely want a cadence sensor though and something to take my heartbeat.

HRM and cadence sensor can be picked up for about £30 or so online to hook up to a phone. You can get them and a GPS for the bike, but its probably north of £100 these days. 

Decided to go for a bigger run out today. The Forth-Clyde Canal between Grangemouth and Maryhill is great but this was the first time on the Union Canal between Linlithgow and the Falkirk Wheel, probably be my last. The Avon Aqueduct however is stunning but the paths are too narrow and the bridges a pain in the arse.

Once lockdown is eased off I'm going to attempt Larbert to Largs and get the train back, eventually I want to see if I can manage a journey of around 200km!

image.thumb.png.3c86f2542f0e60ce3812befc6f274342.png

44 minutes ago, Bold Rover said:

^^ I did the canal run in February a few years ago when those narrow paths and the canal itself were icy! Enjoyed it though, especially the aqueduct and the Falkirk tunnel.

The Falkirk tunnel was really cool! Was half way through thinking it was dark as f**k and couldn't see anything, then remembered I had sunglasses on 😂😂. Interesting to see that tunnel is nearly 200 years old

I've been getting out regularly during lockdown as I'm WFH and have some days off. Built up to 100 miles a week (over 4 trips) and trying to hit that each week. Not done much for the six months before that and my body has complained a couple of time, but a few days rest soon sorts that.

Going out on Saturday and Sunday is great with the roads so quiet.