Official P&b Cycling Thread

7 hours ago, The Master said:

That was an interesting morning.

Roll back to yesterday when I took the hybrid to work for the first time in a while. Noticed not long after I started that the rear tyre was a little soft; but fine to continue. Forgot to top it up at work, and really felt it on the way back so filled it as soon as I got home.

This morning, after going for a mile or so it felt like something was caught in my wheel. Just as I was stopping...BANG. Sound like a gunshot; one instantly flat rear tyre.

I knew it wasn't recoverable and I was closer to home than work, so turned round and pushed. When I got home I noticed the rear tyre was completely worn at one point, so I can only guess the inner tube got into the gap and ended up being pinched. These are the same tyres I asked about the cracking on a year or so ago; so it turns out, yes it does eventually become a problem :lol: 

A quick reattachment of the rack onto my CX bike and I was only 20 minutes or so late for work...

Good tip but too late for your escapade today 

Try and always carry one of the new £5 notes when out on your bike .

If you do have a tyre blow out or it gets damaged and the tube sticks through , it’s thin and tough enough to be out inside the tyre to act as a temporary repair to get you on your way 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, endieinreekie said:

Looking for some advice. Looking to pick up a 2nd hand mountain bike for stoating around in the Pentlands/off-road in nearby countryside but not having done a lot of mountain biking I'm not sure what I should be looking for.  

Depends on your budget, are you looking to use one of the many cycleschemes out there as there are some great bargains around the £1000 mark at this time of year.

1 minute ago, statts1976uk said:

Depends on your budget, are you looking to use one of the many cycleschemes out there as there are some great bargains around the £1000 mark at this time of year.

I already have a hybrid for road cycling, so looking for something as cheap as possible, probably second hand, but advice about which bikes are best to look out for and what I should be looking for. Not looking for anything serious, and no way I could justify to the wife spending anywhere near £1000!! Just general advice on a mountain bike for doing a bit of riding in the Pentlands and maybe further afield. Which makes are better than others and what they should be equipped with.

5 hours ago, endieinreekie said:

I already have a hybrid for road cycling, so looking for something as cheap as possible, probably second hand, but advice about which bikes are best to look out for and what I should be looking for. Not looking for anything serious, and no way I could justify to the wife spending anywhere near £1000!! Just general advice on a mountain bike for doing a bit of riding in the Pentlands and maybe further afield. Which makes are better than others and what they should be equipped with.

It’s the old “ you get what you pay for “ scenario

Unless you’re going to be going down some seriously steep and rugged terrain , a hard tail would probably suffice .

My advice would be to keep an eye on Gumtree and Facebook marketplace as there’s always lots of bikes for sale there,

I’d definitely recommend disc brakes , hydraulic if you can get them 

Try and stick to brands like Specialized, Trek, Giant, Merida, Scott, Cannondale  etc if you can 

However, beware that some secondhand bikes can seem good value at first , but depending on usage can end up costing you a lot more on replacement worn out parts.

Eta. Here’s an example of a good looking buy on Gumtree 

https://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/scott-scale-30-black-mountain-bike-size-medium/1316476515?utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=ios_social

Edited by Unleash The Nade

14 hours ago, endieinreekie said:

You don’t need to spend the whole £1000, a lot of retailers are now selling their 2018 models with substantial discounts and using the cycle to work schemes that your employer may have means that you can get up to a 42% discount as the monthly payment is taken off before tax. You can also get accessories as well with that. The first year I did it I bought a Giant MTB from Paul’s cycles for about £500 and it ended costing me about £300 all in all.

Endie - I can't give technical advice but, for your information, there are a few mental health charities which employ mechanics to restore and sell bikes. One of my sons was delighted with the bike he picked up from a place in Maryhill. I believe there are similar facilities in the other cities. He found the Glasgow one on the internet.

17 hours ago, endieinreekie said:

Minimum you should look at is hydraulic disc brakes and possibly air sprung forks with a tapered steerer (mainly because everything else is phasing out and impossible to replace). Would also go for 27.5" wheels (again 26" phasing out and hard to replace tyres now). If you stick with a decent frame from a brand Unleash The Nade has mentioned everything else can be easily upgraded as you go.

Decathlon are better than they used to be, just apply same logic as above! Vodoo from halfords or the Bossnut from Go Outdoors are also decent budget options.

1 hour ago, stu_mfc said:

Minimum you should look at is hydraulic disc brakes and possibly air sprung forks with a tapered steerer (mainly because everything else is phasing out and impossible to replace). Would also go for 27.5" wheels (again 26" phasing out and hard to replace tyres now). If you stick with a decent frame from a brand Unleash The Nade has mentioned everything else can be easily upgraded as you go.

Decathlon are better than they used to be, just apply same logic as above! Vodoo from halfords or the Bossnut from Go Outdoors are also decent budget options.

Cheers!! Much appreciated.

8 hours ago, endieinreekie said:

Cheers guys, much appreciated. Are decathlon any good for mountain bikes? Have heard that their road bikes are pretty decent

Personally, I’d stay away from Decathlon, however , it really depends on your budget as you cd  get much better bikes for not that much extra cash .

I’d also opt for 29” wheels as much better for rolling resistance and also tougher terrain 

As an example , this Cannondale is a cracking bike at a good price 

https://www.wheelbase.co.uk/product/bikes-frames/bikes-by-type/mountain-bikes/cannondale-trail-7-2019-18cdtrail7/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-JSUrNf53QIV7rXtCh02pQHUEAQYASABEgIyYPD_BwE

• 2 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, Falkirk Cyclist said:

Is there anywhere that lists the local cycling clubs?     I've been clocking up the kms on a static exercise cycle in the gym but I'm desperate to get back on the tarmac and chuck in some heavy climbs.  

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/clubfinder

Big solo ride today - 108 miles, 7100 feet of climb going around Loch Tay.  The climb coming out of Kenmore is an absolute beast - averages 13% for the first mile :blink: and doesn't let off much for the next 2 miles.  The last 20-25 miles back home into the headwind were hellish. 

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies if this sort of thing has been asked on here before...

I've got quite into cycling over the past couple of years. Managed a few runs of 70-odd miles on my own, and did Nightrider around Glasgow earlier this year, which was 100km. That gave me a bit of a taste for organised cycling events: sportives and the like.

Could anyone recommend some decent events like that for 2019? I'm keen to sign up to some. Ones that are good for someone fairly new to it - nothing too crazy in terms of distances or hills!

44 minutes ago, Adamski said:

Apologies if this sort of thing has been asked on here before...

I've got quite into cycling over the past couple of years. Managed a few runs of 70-odd miles on my own, and did Nightrider around Glasgow earlier this year, which was 100km. That gave me a bit of a taste for organised cycling events: sportives and the like.

Could anyone recommend some decent events like that for 2019? I'm keen to sign up to some. Ones that are good for someone fairly new to it - nothing too crazy in terms of distances or hills!

The Etape Loch Ness is always a good one, it might have sold out for next year but there are always charity spots. It’s always well run and the King of the Mountain stage is a good one. For the first time in 4 years I’m not doing it next year as I’m likely to be out of the country but I will be doing PoppyScotland, The Big Belter for Cycle for Scotland and the Etape Caledonia.

19 minutes ago, statts1976uk said:

The Etape Loch Ness is always a good one, it might have sold out for next year but there are always charity spots. It’s always well run and the King of the Mountain stage is a good one. For the first time in 4 years I’m not doing it next year as I’m likely to be out of the country but I will be doing PoppyScotland, The Big Belter for Cycle for Scotland and the Etape Caledonia.

It was actually Etape Loch Ness that got me here - I really liked the sound of it but faffed around instead of signing straight up. And by the time I got around to sorting it out it had sold out! I might still do a charity place, but it's not long since I asked folk to sponsor me for something. I'll definitely check out the others though - I don't really know much about what's out there at the moment. Cheers for that!

13 hours ago, Adamski said:

It was actually Etape Loch Ness that got me here - I really liked the sound of it but faffed around instead of signing straight up. And by the time I got around to sorting it out it had sold out! I might still do a charity place, but it's not long since I asked folk to sponsor me for something. I'll definitely check out the others though - I don't really know much about what's out there at the moment. Cheers for that!

The Etape Loch Ness is really good, lot of support, excellent route and closed roads. I’m disappointed I’m missing next year but I’m going to make up for it with a few different ones.