Official P&b Cycling Thread

Played 5s yesterday for the first time in the last year, and I feel as though someone has set about me with a cricket bat. I thought I was getting in pretty good shape with the cycling, but it just goes to show how tough football is at times.

Still managed to commute to work in the pishing rain on the MTB , though. The Cube should be with me by this time next week.

Good times :)

Played 5s yesterday for the first time in the last year, and I feel as though someone has set about me with a cricket bat. I thought I was getting in pretty good shape with the cycling, but it just goes to show how tough football is at times.

Still managed to commute to work in the pishing rain on the MTB , though. The Cube should be with me by this time next week.

Good times :)

Nice looking bike.

My joy at negotiating a new bike was short lived - it may not be happening.:(

Nice looking bike.

My joy at negotiating a new bike was short lived - it may not be happening.:(

Sorry to hear that mate.

To be honest, my purchase hasn't gone down too well, and I've been swithering a bit. It wasn't exactly an impulse buy, but I'm not sure that I thought it through given the prevailing financial situation at home. I got the bike from Formby Cycles with 24 months interest free credit. It's a long time to be tied in to a finance deal, but I figured I could easily piss £37 against the wall every month and at least this is a healthy use of the cash.

To be honest, buying a new bike should be an almost religious experience, and, while I'm looking forward to the delivery, I'm not 100% convinced that I've done the right thing.

This conscience thing is overrated :(

I'm going to admit to a cardinal sin: I bought my bike from Halfords :ph34r:

And now I know why I shouldn't have done it. It's had constant gear-related problems since just a couple of weeks after I bought it, so this morning I got an indie retailer to look at it. He gave me a call at lunchtime with a list of problems longer than my arm. If and when I secure a refund, I'll buy a proper bike from a proper shop.

Lesson well and truly learnt :(

Well, I got the report from the indie retailer and it's pretty damning: "Freewheel has teeth missing due to poor quality, the chainset is bent and the front mech clamp bolt has been rounded so we cannot adjust it. As a result of low quality parts the gears do not work correctly".

I phoned Halfords and they're giving me a refund when I take the bike back tomorrow.

So, I'm now looking for a new bike, preferably a hybrid. I'm prepared to up my budget but I really can't go above £350, so any recommendations?

I've been looking at this one: http://www.spokescycles.net/product/4395/Giant_Expression_DX_2010 but honestly have no idea about good makes.

Edited by The Master

So, I'm now looking for a new bike, preferably a hybrid. I'm prepared to up my budget but I really can't go above £350, so any recommendations?

For that kind of price I'd recommend something like a Giant bike. You probably wouln't get much for your money with a braqnd like Specialized. Watch out though when Giant refer to "hybrid" they're refering those stupid bikes with motors. You'd probably be looking at the Giant Escape model, it comes in versions 1,2,3 etc depending on specs.

Well, I got the report from the indie retailer and it's pretty damning: "Freewheel has teeth missing due to poor quality, the chainset is bent and the front mech clamp bolt has been rounded so we cannot adjust it. As a result of low quality parts the gears do not work correctly".

I phoned Halfords and they're giving me a refund when I take the bike back tomorrow.

I've been looking at this one: http://www.spokescycles.net/product/4395/Giant_Expression_DX_2010 but honestly have no idea about good makes.

Giant is a big name and they make everything from kids bikes to pro racing machines. Along the same lines as Trek in some respects.

You get a lot for your money, and the quality is generally very good. I don't think you'll go far wrong. Don't write off second hand, though.

ETA: remember that you'll also get good deals on 2010 models (up to 40% off in some cases) so shop around (though you seem to have clocked that already).

ETA#2: well worth a look:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/sirrus-2011-hybrid-bike-ec023871

A more sporty option with good upgrade potential.

Edited by Drooper

Giant is a big name

Boom boom!

and they make everything from kids bikes to pro racing machines. Along the same lines as Trek in some respects.

You get a lot for your money, and the quality is generally very good. I don't think you'll go far wrong. Don't write off second hand, though.

ETA: remember that you'll also get good deals on 2010 models (up to 40% off in some cases) so shop around (though you seem to have clocked that already).

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/sirrus-2011-hybrid-bike-ec023871

Thanks.

There's no Evans in Dundee and for something like this I'd prefer to maintain the face-to-face element. But it gives me something to go on when going round shops.

I've mentioned this before but it's a one off chance to cycle on the motorway, so here goes again:-

M74 MOTORWAY extension cycle this weekend. 14km of brand new tarmac. Get it actioned

Actioned- applied last week. 14km out to Fullerton and back. Be a strange experience but worth a go for £5. Not like I'm going to be able to do it again (legally) any time soon!

Sorry to turn this into a shopping thread, but what are Ridgeback like? And if they're any good, which is better out of these two (because I honestly don't know much about bikes; I just want to get from A to B and back again):

http://www.nicholsons-cycles.co.uk/productdetails.asp?productid=43214

http://www.nicholsons-cycles.co.uk/productdetails.asp?productid=43205

(Yes, I know those are £400 after I said £350...)

Edited by The Master

Sorry to turn this into a shopping thread, but what are Ridgeback like? And if they're any good, which is better out of these two (because I honestly don't know much about bikes; I just want to get from A to B and back again):

http://www.nicholsons-cycles.co.uk/productdetails.asp?productid=43214

http://www.nicholsons-cycles.co.uk/productdetails.asp?productid=43205

Just going by the pics....

The Meteor looks a bit more 'sit up and beg' to me - a more upright, relaxed riding position, if not very purposeful.

The Velocity looks to be more of a chuck around, thrasher.

The Velocity is probably a bit lighter, not least as it doesn't come with mudguards and a rack fitted. The Metoer is probably a bit more utilitarian, while the other Velocity no doubt has the option to add a rack and guards when the weather becomes shittier.

A lot will depend on what you use the bike for. The Metoer would be practical for commuting I'd have thought, but might not be regarded as quite so cool.

Ridgeback seem to be a decent enough brand, from what little knowledge I have.

Oooh, a cycling thread!

I have the 'Comp' version of this. I love it. Got it through the 'cycle to work' scheme.

I have to admit I was fairly clueless to start with when choosing a bike. All my previous efforts at bikes have been heavy, cheap MTBs but that was from when I lived in the town, now I live 15 miles away so I knew I needed something a bit faster and lighter.

A few guys at my work cycle in and helped me settle on the comp. I'd imagine that the standard one isn't too much different, same frame setup, just lesser quality parts (that's not to say that the parts aren't any good) and slightly heavier. I was slightly tempted by the Tricross but it was putting me over my already stretched budget!

Anyway, I think Nicholson's in Dundee stock the Sirrus so nip in and have a look at it first.

It's a 31mile round trip for me to get into work (and a train journey). I had planned to do that 2-3 times a week but it's not happening at the moment. Not cycled in to work for a couple of weeks now but desperate to get fit so will need to get back into it!

Oooh, a cycling thread!

I have the 'Comp' version of this. I love it. Got it through the 'cycle to work' scheme.

I have to admit I was fairly clueless to start with when choosing a bike. All my previous efforts at bikes have been heavy, cheap MTBs but that was from when I lived in the town, now I live 15 miles away so I knew I needed something a bit faster and lighter.

A few guys at my work cycle in and helped me settle on the comp. I'd imagine that the standard one isn't too much different, same frame setup, just lesser quality parts (that's not to say that the parts aren't any good) and slightly heavier. I was slightly tempted by the Tricross but it was putting me over my already stretched budget!

Anyway, I think Nicholson's in Dundee stock the Sirrus so nip in and have a look at it first.

It's a 31mile round trip for me to get into work (and a train journey). I had planned to do that 2-3 times a week but it's not happening at the moment. Not cycled in to work for a couple of weeks now but desperate to get fit so will need to get back into it!

Aye, I reckon the Speccy would be a very good option. It'll be a very decent frame, with plenty of scope to upgrade later if desired. That would certainly be my choice if I had that budget and was looking for a decent hybrid-type bike. Internal cable routing at this price is impressive, and with a mixture of Shimano and SRAM components, and decent rims, this is a very good package for the money IMO.

Once you get into the habit of your commute, you'll feel agitated if you skip a day when you had planned to ride.

I have a pretty short 12 mile round trip but there are hills at either end so it is pretty challenging at times, but I've now got into the mindset whereby I'll be taking the bike pretty much regrdless of the weather. I also often extend the route for a bit of a challenge and some variety. A 30 mile round trip is another proposition right enough, but your goal of commuting by bike 2 or 3 times a week sounds like a good plan, giving yourself rest days in between.

My suggestion would be to sign up for an organised ride at some point - later in the summer perhaps. I'm doing the Glasgow 100 (mile) in August, so I need to get ride time under my belt. This can be the prompt I need to get my arse on the bike in the morning as opposed to taking the car or getting a life with the missus.

http://www.nicholson...productid=43214

http://www.nicholson...productid=43205

IMO I would go for s Specialized or Giant Hybrid before I went for a Ridgeback, someone else mentioned earlier if you can find someone who stocks the 2010 models you will get a bargain.

I have a Specialized Sirrus Sport - it is a great bike and the 2011 model will set you back £449 and you could probably pick up a 2010 model somewhere for around £300.

Someone said they got interest free credit from Formby Cycles - I have checked out their website and it looks a decent shout.....

My suggestion would be to sign up for an organised ride at some point - later in the summer perhaps. I'm doing the Glasgow 100 (mile) in August, so I need to get ride time under my belt. This can be the prompt I need to get my arse on the bike in the morning as opposed to taking the car or getting a life with the missus.

Drooper, is this different to the Pedal for Scotland Sportive 100 mile ride??

If so is there a website?