Official P&b Cycling Thread

Just decided to take up cycling around 6 months ago,

Last 2 days I managed to clock up 115 miles (Glasgow to Falkirk Sat, Glasgow to Edinburgh Sun) Fecking nightmare going to Edinburgh with the wind against you, oh aye managed to get myself some bad sunburn.

But must admit im loving using the pedal power, I still dont fancy cycling on the roads of Glasgow, far too many a**seholes in cars for my liking.

Cycled out to Limekilns and back today, a round trip of 39 miles.

A wee bit breezy,but really enjoyed it,especially the stop off at Culross for a coffee and scone!

:lol:

Are you out cycling or sightseeing - you really are quite funny!!!

Two cycles in last couple of days....

Just did a tidgy 15 miles on Sunday as the Mrs wanted me to check out some distances she had been running so went a bizarre route which was not too great for bikes.

Yesterday cycled from SQ to Dunbar again - 39 miles all into the wind. Good thing was I got picked up at the other end and stopped off at Edinburgh Bicycle Co-op for a look at road bikes. Seem to be getting warmer, just a bit more work to do :lol: :lol:

Cycled from Airdrie to Balerno, went up Black Hill in the Pentlands, then cycled to Edinburgh for the train home. Total- 48 miles :D

Downside was that cycling west to east all day meant my right arm and leg look like corned beef. OOYAH. :o

Are you out cycling or sightseeing - you really are quite funny!!!

Two cycles in last couple of days....

Just did a tidgy 15 miles on Sunday as the Mrs wanted me to check out some distances she had been running so went a bizarre route which was not too great for bikes.

Yesterday cycled from SQ to Dunbar again - 39 miles all into the wind. Good thing was I got picked up at the other end and stopped off at Edinburgh Bicycle Co-op for a look at road bikes. Seem to be getting warmer, just a bit more work to do :lol: :lol:

Oh come on man,nothing wrong with a week break for a coffee and a scone after 25 miles non stop!

I love making a day of it when time permits as have a wee cyclists rucksack to carry any esential bike parts I may need,along with flask,sanies,crisps,juice and a piece of fruit! :lol:

I'm really undecided on this road bike thing,and cant make up my mind.

The missus has given me the OK to go for it,but I really dont know if i'd be getting one,just for the sake of having one!.

Also a bit concerned ,(being the old fucker that I am) that it might give me back problems due to riding position

I'm really undecided on this road bike thing,and cant make up my mind.

The missus has given me the OK to go for it,but I really dont know if i'd be getting one,just for the sake of having one!.

Also a bit concerned ,(being the old fucker that I am) that it might give me back problems due to riding position

FFS, man up! You know you want to :)

If your missus has given you the green light, you're either a very lucky man, or you have a very decent life insurance policy.

I'm trying to work on my other half with a view to getting a new road bike, but she isn't taking me on just now. I suspect she reckons I'll kill myself within 6 months, but the expense might be the deal breaker :(

the expense might be the deal breaker

You're no kiddin'!

I've rapidly come to the conclusion that the mountain bike I was given is no use for cycling any distance on the road. I only ever use the top 2 or 3 gears but even when my wee legs are whirlin', pensioners on road bikes swoop by me.

But the prices of those road bikes are fierce! I'm just watching ebay with my fingers crossed.

If your missus has given you the green light, you're either a very lucky man, or you have a very decent life insurance policy.

I'm trying to work on my other half with a view to getting a new road bike, but she isn't taking me on just now. I suspect she reckons I'll kill myself within 6 months, but the expense might be the deal breaker :(

Aye ,I know, I know.

However,Monkeyblair's wee comment has made me think I might be better going for one of these,as then I wouldnt have to stop at cafes for a wee cuppa and a scone!

26481.jpg

Aye ,I know, I know.

However,Monkeyblair's wee comment has made me think I might be better going for one of these,as then I wouldnt have to stop at cafes for a wee cuppa and a scone!

26481.jpg

UTN I know you have said previously you were looking at the Specialezed Secteur, I looked at it at the weekend and didn't really like it for some reason, not sure why.

The Specialzed Allez Sport £720 looked quite nice to me but looks not going to be everything!!

On the sore back thing, I get a sore back from the hybrid so don't expect a road bike to be any better, I honestly think I will stick to what I have for this season and maybe Santa will be good to me for next.

I am also going to do a short bike maintenance course.

At the weekend I was spinning my wheels round and found that both front and back wheels were squint and the brakes were stopping the wheels going round at certain points!!

Didn't know what to do so looked on YouTube and found out how to loosen brake pads which stopped the rubbing but made them virtually useless. :lol:

I took it to Bike Co-op and it turns out that loose spokes make for squinty wheels, what a fud I felt!!

Took the plunge and just bought the Specialized Secteur,pick it up on Saturday!

UTN I know you have said previously you were looking at the Specialezed Secteur, I looked at it at the weekend and didn't really like it for some reason, not sure why.

The Specialzed Allez Sport £720 looked quite nice to me but looks not going to be everything!!

On the sore back thing, I get a sore back from the hybrid so don't expect a road bike to be any better, I honestly think I will stick to what I have for this season and maybe Santa will be good to me for next.

I appreciate the Secteur isn't the most attractive bike,but as it has a longer than normal stem,your riding position is more upright than most racing road bikes and less likely to give you any back problems.

The front forks are carbon,so absorb more of the lumps and bumps and at £460 (got SPDS instead of toe clips at no extra cost) a really decent bike for the money

I am also going to do a short bike maintenance course.

At the weekend I was spinning my wheels round and found that both front and back wheels were squint and the brakes were stopping the wheels going round at certain points!!

Didn't know what to do so looked on YouTube and found out how to loosen brake pads which stopped the rubbing but made them virtually useless. :lol:

I took it to Bike Co-op and it turns out that loose spokes make for squinty wheels, what a fud I felt!!

Theres a brilliant Ap for I-Pad/i-phone called bike repair HD.

Its got really good step by step instructions,with detailed photographs on how to repair,maintain most bikes and I'd thoroughly recommend it

Edited by Unleash The Nade

Took the plunge and just bought the Specialized Secteur,pick it up on Saturday!

I appreciate the Secteur isn't the most attractive bike,but as it has a longer than normal stem,your riding position is more upright than most racing road bikes and less likely to give you any back problems.

The front forks are carbon,so absorb more of the lumps and bumps and at £460 (got SPDS instead of toe clips at no extra cost) a really decent bike for the money

UTN, Was it the 2010 edition that you got of the Secteur?

If it is the 2011 one you got the bargain of the century as I can only find it for £599!!!

Where did you get it?

UTN, Was it the 2010 edition that you got of the Secteur?

If it is the 2011 one you got the bargain of the century as I can only find it for £599!!!

Where did you get it?

Na the 2010 version from GW Smiths in Falkirk.

Now picking it up tomorrow

Cheers, I may well take my Mrs for a bit of shopping in Falkirk High Street at the weekend....

I think they have two left but dont know which frame size.

If you havent been there before,dont just think all they have is on the shop floor,as they also have a showroom upstairs

Good luck!

Edit to add; If you are interested and thinking about buying yourself,start the conversation going down the cycle to work scheme.

as the retailer has to give 15% of the bike to the CTW.

However,the last one I got I bought but negotiated a deal to get 10% of the bikes value in free accessories,so a win win situation

Picked up new bike this morning and took it for a 10 mile test run.

Appreciated there would be a difference from my hybrid,but not that much of a difference!

Have to admit,shat myself a couple of times going downhill as speedier that I thought it would be.

Going along on the flat,it seems quite a bit easier as much lighter bike.

Dont know what speeds I was doing,but definetly quicker that I'd do on my hybrid

Edit to add: Just been out again and did another 17 miles,f'ing brilliant!

Picked up new bike this morning and took it for a 10 mile test run.

Appreciated there would be a difference from my hybrid,but not that much of a difference!

Have to admit,shat myself a couple of times going downhill as speedier that I thought it would be.

Going along on the flat,it seems quite a bit easier as much lighter bike.

Dont know what speeds I was doing,but definetly quicker that I'd do on my hybrid

Edit to add: Just been out again and did another 17 miles,f'ing brilliant!

b*****d. :angry:

Edited by monkeyblair