Official P&b Cycling Thread

I take it you've undertaken exhaustive research in this regard? :rolleyes:

It's not my experience, thought there are a good few of them out there. Generally speaking, I've not encountered many arrogant arseholes on bikes as a motorist, or as a cyclist.

No exhaustive research just drawing from my experiences driving. Nearly killed a cyclist just last week when he shot out of a junction whilst ignoring the red light. Have seen many many similar incidents along with ignorant behaviour such as cycling two abreast on busy roads or, worst of all IMO, towing one of those little buggys with a small child inside on a busy road.

In my experience many have a chip on their shoulder and are quick to lose their temper during incidents and seem to think they have some divine right to the road.

There are plenty of arsehole motorists about, but far more cyclists when you consider the percentages.

No exhaustive research just drawing from my experiences driving. Nearly killed a cyclist just last week when he shot out of a junction whilst ignoring the red light. Have seen many many similar incidents along with ignorant behaviour such as cycling two abreast on busy roads or, worst of all IMO, towing one of those little buggys with a small child inside on a busy road.

In my experience many have a chip on their shoulder and are quick to lose their temper during incidents and seem to think they have some divine right to the road.

There are plenty of arsehole motorists about, but far more cyclists when you consider the percentages.

Must agree,I hate seeing a kid in one of those

Got on a bike for the first time in 30 years last week. Have been out 4 or 5 times but can only manage about 3 miles before I am breathing out my ar*e. Get the feeling it will take a long time before I will be doing the distances mentioned here. It is a great feeling though and can't believe have waited so long.

Got on a bike for the first time in 30 years last week. Have been out 4 or 5 times but can only manage about 3 miles before I am breathing out my ar*e. Get the feeling it will take a long time before I will be doing the distances mentioned here. It is a great feeling though and can't believe have waited so long.

I take it you're referring to the cycling and not the breathing out of your arse? wink.gif

Especially if you were just cycling along the canal!!??

Totally agree and why I also questioned this

Fastest I've clocked was 34mph and had same effect as you.

Hope the training going well for your Glasgow-Edinburgh event.

It's amazing how you build up your fitness and recovery levels even after a short time.

I went out last night and did 13 miles on a generally flat route averaging 15mph,which I was quite chuffed with, considering I don't have a road bike.

A month or so ago I wouldnt have been able to maintain that and would have been puggled at the end

Glasgow - Edinburgh event is 51 miles and max I have done so far is 36 miles.

Don't plan on going and trying to do any longer distance until the day, apparently the route is relatively easy.

I am starting to find my technique is much better. I have the SPD clips and am now getting into pulling the pedals up as well as pushing down, much more economic.

Get the feeling it will take a long time before I will be doing the distances mentioned here.

Won't take that long - you'll be surprised. Trick is to keep at it.

I have the SPD clips and am now getting into pulling the pedals up as well as pushing down, much more economic.

Easy to fit?

http://www.visitscottishborders.com/Downloads/4AbbeysCycleFinalProof2.pdf

This is my planned route over the next couple of weeks

Won't take that long - you'll be surprised. Trick is to keep at it.

Easy to fit?

http://www.visitscot...FinalProof2.pdf

This is my planned route over the next couple of weeks

These are the pedals I got fitted to the bike when I bought it - £20.

Shoes about £50 and dead simple to get in and out of.

shimano-m520-spd-pedals.jpg

These are the pedals I got fitted to the bike when I bought it - £20.

Shoes about £50 and dead simple to get in and out of.

shimano-m520-spd-pedals.jpg

I assume your cycling shoes just click into these much like ski boots in skis?

Never considered these but you reckon they make a big difference?

if you dont mind me asking MB,what kind of bike do you have?

Cheers

I assume your cycling shoes just click into these much like ski boots in skis?

Never considered these but you reckon they make a big difference?

if you dont mind me asking MB,what kind of bike do you have?

Cheers

These are very similar to the shoes I have (shimano mountain bike shoes) and you push the front of your foot down into the pedal then the back and it clicks in - I think that is what ski boots do. To get out of them (which you must remember to do when you come to a junction!!) you just twist your foot outwards and out they pop. These shoes are a bit different to the proper racing shoes as they actually have rubber soles and you can walk about on them without feeling the metal clip that is at the front.

You will see the proper cyclists walking about like fannies on their shoes as they have no grips and are smooth soled.

http://www.planetfear.com/item/Brand_shimano-spd-atb-mt31-bike-shoes_0_0_24803_1.html

In terms of my bike I have this one - a Specialized Sirrus Sport Hybrid

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/sirrus-sport-2010-hybrid-bike-ec020017?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=froogle

It is a great bike but I have to be honest, the more I get into cycling the more I kind of wish I had gone for the full racing road bike.

I have the option of joining the Cycle 2 Work scheme in December and think I will buy a new racer as I have also just bought a turbo trainer for the garage and will probably leave one permanently attached to that!!

It is a great bike but I have to be honest, the more I get into cycling the more I kind of wish I had gone for the full racing road bike.

I'm the exact same.

I've a Charge Mixer and love it, but have been thinking more and more about getting a road bike

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/charge/mixer-2009-hybrid-bike-ec000240?query=charge mixer

What road bikes have you been looking at?

I'm the exact same.

I've a Charge Mixer and love it, but have been thinking more and more about getting a road bike

http://www.evanscycl...40?query=charge mixer

What road bikes have you been looking at?

I have to say I cannot fault the Specialized bike and have been looking at this one:-

00011189.jpg

Only problem is that the Cycle 2 Work scheme I can get into is for Halfords only so may be restricted to what they can get....

From what I've heard/read the Boardman bikes are a lot of bike for your cash

I had looked at them before I got the Specialized and I think you are right, they look and feel pretty good.

I just felt that the guys at Halfords were less knowledgeable than the ones at Edinburgh Bicycle Co-operative where I eventually went.

I had looked at them before I got the Specialized and I think you are right, they look and feel pretty good.

I just felt that the guys at Halfords were less knowledgeable than the ones at Edinburgh Bicycle Co-operative where I eventually went.

Thanks for the heads up on the shoes & pedal clips,they're already on the Xmas gift list.

I went for a Specialized Crosstrail Comp and absolutely love it, but can now also see the attraction in a lighter road bike

Was in Dales bike shop in Glasgow last week and they have lots of kit including some good deals on road bikes.

Smiths at the end of Falkirk High Street is also worth a look as they also have an upstairs showroom which most people don't realise .

I thought the Cycle to Work scheme was originally intended to help out and benefit independent cycle shops and am surprised you have a Halfords only one ,which as you say,will limit your choice.

We word of advice though,get your employer to confirm what final percentage of the original price they'll be looking for at the end of the contract,as my mate looked into his with his work and was only going to be about £50 better off

The Cycle 2 Work scheme only strictly speaking for folk who (ahem) cycle to work!!

Given I work in Glasgow and live near Edinburgh I may need to keep it quiet. :lol:

My work will take 5% of the purchase price or £30 quid for the bike which is pretty good.

Thanks for the heads up on the shoes & pedal clips,they're already on the Xmas gift list.

SPD pedals, or 'spuds' make a genuine difference once you get the hang of them.

Be careful if you start to use them when cycling on the roads though. It's not so bad when tootling along a tow path, or forest track as there are far fewer distractions. On the roads, your busy looking around you and anticipating what motorists might do etc. The trick is to disengage from one of the pedals well in advance of when you're likely to need to slow down or stop. I've fallen foul of approaching a junction, thinking I've got a clear run, having to stop quite suddenly, and forgetting how the fuck to get me feet off the pedals - not good! This is even after using spuds for years.

They are worth the effort, but take your time getting used to them, and try and do this on quite roads, or, better still, off-road.

One more tip, start off with a loose spring tension.

Best of luck with them - you won't look back!

Took my wife out biking today so it was a nice easy one for me. We maybe went about 7k (at a slow pace) but it was nice as Im still recovering from yesterday.

Got a safety hat today and some biking gloves (I have a massive blister on my hand from the previous 3 trecks on the bike).

I also had to sort my first flat tire today. Took my bike out and noticed the front tire was totally flat. On investigation I found a huge (relative) thorn in the tire.

I remembered how to remove the tire (using the handle of a spoon :lol:) and repaired the tube. :)

Im thinking of trying to get a bluetooth phone thign for my bike (can you get them?)

Its just that when Im biking I put my phone in my backpack and cant hear it ringing.

A handsfree thing for the handlebars (much like you get for cars) would be very handy.

Ill need to see if you can get one.

I also got a gel cover for my bike seat today. RING STING!!!

Edited by MattBairn

Took my wife out biking today so it was a nice easy one for me. We maybe went about 7k (at a slow pace) but it was nice as Im still recovering from yesterday.

Got a safety hat today and some biking gloves (I have a massive blister on my hand from the previous 3 trecks on the bike).

I also had to sort my first flat tire today. Took my bike out and noticed the front tire was totally flat. On investigation I found a huge (relative) thorn in the tire.

I remembered how to remove the tire (using the handle of a spoon laugh.gif) and repaired the tube. smile.gif

Im thinking of trying to get a bluetooth phone thign for my bike (can you get them?)

Its just that when Im biking I put my phone in my backpack and cant hear it ringing.

A handsfree thing for the handlebars (much like you get for cars) would be very handy.

Ill need to see if you can get one.

I also got a gel cover for my bike seat today. RING STING!!!

I would suggest you seriously consider a new saddle.

I looked at buying one of these,tried one and really found it made little difference.

A mate of mine who's friend is a doctor,says its probably the most important piece of kit you can invest in as a male cyclist,as wrong saddle can lead to prostrate trouble and erectile problems huh.gif