Official P&b Cycling Thread

Would any PnB cyclomechanics care to comment? I had my bike serviced by a LBS last autumn. They changed the chain among other things. Chain snapped today. Is that within acceptable limits? Bike has been used over winter, kept clean and lubed. Around 1000 miles.

Would any PnB cyclomechanics care to comment? I had my bike serviced by a LBS last autumn. They changed the chain among other things. Chain snapped today. Is that within acceptable limits? Bike has been used over winter, kept clean and lubed. Around 1000 miles.
Nah, 1000 miles is a poor return. I got 2500 out of mine with admittedly "lax" maintenance from myself over the last year. Have LBS just chucked on a cheapskate aftermarket effort?

22 minutes ago, jupe1407 said:
11 hours ago, Bold Rover said:

Nah, 1000 miles is a poor return. I got 2500 out of mine with admittedly "lax" maintenance from myself over the last year. Have LBS just chucked on a cheapskate aftermarket effort?

Thanks jupe. My concern exactly. 

13 hours ago, Bold Rover said:

If it was a Shimano chain your lucky you got 100 miles. Fecking shite.

Got a mtb last week for the first time in years. Ended up picking one up on Gumtree after various shops in Glasgow let me down.

A few few jaunts last week and a wee one through a wildlife reserve tonight, i seem to have the bug!

On 28/04/2019 at 20:38, jupe1407 said:

Loch Ness Etape today for the third successive year. Excellent conditions and managed to knock about 40 mins off last year's time. Pleasing.

Great effort, I’m disappointed that I wasn’t able to do it this year due to a combination of an injury and work commitments.

I’m going to be doing the Etape Caledonia to help  a mate as part of his rehab post stroke, it’s only the 40 mile section but still a nice leg stretcher! I’ve not done that one before so hope it’s a good substitute for the Loch Ness event.

Great effort, I’m disappointed that I wasn’t able to do it this year due to a combination of an injury and work commitments.
I’m going to be doing the Etape Caledonia to help  a mate as part of his rehab post stroke, it’s only the 40 mile section but still a nice leg stretcher! I’ve not done that one before so hope it’s a good substitute for the Loch Ness event.
Never done the Caledonia, I know most of the roads though, I'd expect a lot more little kicks than Loch Ness, which barring that b*****d hill up to Glendoe has a lot of nice flat sections. The long run from the too of the mountain was downbreeze all the way to Inverness. Glorious.

7 hours ago, well fan for life said:

I done Etape Loch Ness on Sunday for the first time. I knew Glendoe would be hard but that was borderline satanic.

The sound of the pipes at the summit just lull you into a false sense of hope! That sound just travels!!!

It was worse last year, the wind was against so the sound carried much further. I've done that climb three times now but still forget about the second kick. Major bonus though as I was sure I still.had a mile to the summit when I looked up and saw the piper. Awesome. Also fucking mental that the KOM did that in about 20mins.

On 20/04/2019 at 16:01, die hard doonhamer said:

Went and bought a cheap road bike from the bike station in Perth today. The plan is that I'll use it enough over the summer to prove to myself that buying a good bike will be worth it.

I cycled it home, I forgot how much pain you are left with by the saddle after going on a bike for the first time in far too long!

First cycle to work on Monday:

IMG_20190429_084351.thumb.jpg.00a232d9e975d3a7eed92fb1ee427b44.jpg

That's the chain split either side of the front mech, which was annoying. Took it back in to the shop and they fixed it for me, so should be back to it on Thursday.

11 hours ago, jupe1407 said:

It was worse last year, the wind was against so the sound carried much further. I've done that climb three times now but still forget about the second kick. Major bonus though as I was sure I still.had a mile to the summit when I looked up and saw the piper. Awesome. Also fucking mental that the KOM did that in about 20mins.

Aye I was absolutely in a world of hurt so I was just staring at the road in front of me to keep going. When you get to the wee Loch and it levels out it's lovely, then that second kick was another absolute slog. The wee sharp climb after the descent was fairly unwelcome as well tbh. 

I wasn't feeling great after but ground it out, stopped for a piss, a macaroni pie and a gel at the last rest stop and then absolutely ripped the last 10 miles. 

Midway through a week's cycling holiday in Majorca as part of a bigger group. It's as good as I was told. Good weather, good quiet roads, flat for miles or very hilly if you want.

4 hours ago, printer said:

Midway through a week's cycling holiday in Majorca as part of a bigger group. It's as good as I was told. Good weather, good quiet roads, flat for miles or very hilly if you want.

hmmm. I have family in a group out on a cycling holiday in Majorca just now. Are you my mom?