Official P&b Cycling Thread

On 03/09/2018 at 20:58, The Master said:

Two bag-related questions:

1) I've attached a bag underneath my saddle, but I have to fold my rear reflector up out the way for it to fit (it would be obscured by the bag in any case). I assume this is normal, and that attaching a light to the bag itself makes me legal?

2) I'm looking to create a bit more frame-mounted space to avoid carrying a rucksack if I absolutely don't have to. What do people think of top mounted bags, like this one: https://www.evanscycles.com/specialized-burra-burra-toptube-pack-EV292776 It sits on top of the crossbar behind the handlebars and, apparently, has the added benefit of making the bike more aerodynamic.

The other option is one of those ones where you slide your phone in the top and use it as a speedo. But I'm always a bit wary of the protection they give should I have a spill. 

With regards to the reflector , attaching it to the saddle bag is fine 

Can’t really comment on the top mounted bag , but fail to see how it would make your bike more aerodynamic.

Personally I always think a good fitting rucksack is a better option unless you’re going on a long trip 

1 hour ago, Unleash The Nade said:

With regards to the reflector , attaching it to the saddle bag is fine 

Can’t really comment on the top mounted bag , but fail to see how it would make your bike more aerodynamic.

It’s apparently something to do with the air behind the handlebars being turbulent. No idea if that's true or not. 

Personally I always think a good fitting rucksack is a better option unless you’re going on a long trip 

I’m doing PFS again tomorrow and was wanting to rid myself of my rucksack.  Not just because of the distance, but the overnight stay in Glasgow means I’m carrying extra stuff that I’d rather get off my back. So I paid the extra tenner for gold entry which provides a bag transfer to Edinburgh. 

In the end I bought a well-reviewed bag off Amazon, but they seem to have lost it :rolleyes: So my plan B was one from Argos which is decent enough (http://www.argos.co.uk/product/7036819). I’ve now plenty space for the essentials. 

Edited by The Master

16 hours ago, NewBornBairn said:

Just bought an electric hybrid. My knees and my back are fucked and the big hill up to my house has been giving me the fear of late, hopefully this will get me out of the house more.

Got one a few months ago. Never confessed till now. Didn’t know whether to start a new thread instead of polluting this one :lol:

Got the base Crossfire E because it was bang on the Cycle to Work limit. First run from Stirling through to Falkirk for the game, no bother.  Heavy but once it gets going it's grand. Maybe shouldn't have worn jeans and a soft shell jacket though. 

2 hours ago, The Master said:

I’m doing PFS again tomorrow and was wanting to rid myself of my rucksack.  Not just because of the distance, but the overnight stay in Glasgow means I’m carrying extra stuff that I’d rather get off my back. So I paid the extra tenner for gold entry which provides a bag transfer to Edinburgh. 

I hope you enjoy PFS. This year will be the first since 2010 that I've missed it. The downgrades have wasted it, imo.

7 hours ago, Bold Rover said:

I hope you enjoy PFS. This year will be the first since 2010 that I've missed it. The downgrades have wasted it, imo.

I disagree to an extent, although I guess it depends on your motivation for doing it.

For me, I simply enjoy the ride. Sure, finishing at Ingleston (aka a field with some buildings) isn’t as glamorous as Murrayfield, but it is more about the getting there for me.

I also think the Ingleston finish is because the event is a victim of its own success. They tried fully-closed roads in Edinburgh once, and it was an utter disaster. I think on balance, having a completely traffic-free route is better than “nearly-traffic-free-except-for-the-final-5-miles”, and if that means finishing just outside Edinburgh then so be it.

I make up the final miles anyway to catch my train home.

9 hours ago, The Master said:

I disagree to an extent, although I guess it depends on your motivation for doing it.

For me, I simply enjoy the ride. Sure, finishing at Ingleston (aka a field with some buildings) isn’t as glamorous as Murrayfield, but it is more about the getting there for me.

I also think the Ingleston finish is because the event is a victim of its own success. They tried fully-closed roads in Edinburgh once, and it was an utter disaster. I think on balance, having a completely traffic-free route is better than “nearly-traffic-free-except-for-the-final-5-miles”, and if that means finishing just outside Edinburgh then so be it.

I make up the final miles anyway to catch my train home.

Fair dos. Hope you have a good day. I'm doing a local ride of about the same length, instead.

On 03/09/2018 at 20:58, The Master said:

2) I'm looking to create a bit more frame-mounted space to avoid carrying a rucksack if I absolutely don't have to. What do people think of top mounted bags, like this one: https://www.evanscycles.com/specialized-burra-burra-toptube-pack-EV292776 It sits on top of the crossbar behind the handlebars and, apparently, has the added benefit of making the bike more aerodynamic.

The other option is one of those ones where you slide your phone in the top and use it as a speedo. But I'm always a bit wary of the protection they give should I have a spill. 

Here are a video looking at the aerodynamics between differing bag types for commuting. 

The result is a frame bag is the most aero while bag and panniers much less aero by about 20watts. Though I am not really sure too many will be going fast enough to notice the difference. 

I did the 10 mile Pedal for Scotland with my 8 year old son as he wanted to do it with me and I know that my shoulder definitely wouldn’t have held for the 100 miler. A really good turn out and good to see so many families out today. 

The only problem is that I’m really in the mood for a long cycle now after that warmup!

PFS done in just under 3h15. 

Pretty uneventful this year. One corner that was very greasy, and I passed as they were seemingly disposing of Strathclyde's finest’s latest cocaine haul as a way of drying the road.

The bit to the finish needs improved, though. Technically my bike is a “gravel bike”, and it was well suited to the surface. It surely isn’t impossible to lay a temporary road made out of rubber or something?

Tempted by the big belter next year. My legs definitely have more miles in them but not sure if it’s 45. Proper training would help though.

For now though, just the extra 8 miles to Waverley. 

Edited by The Master

PFS done in just under 3h15. 
Pretty uneventful this year. One corner that was very greasy, and I passed as they were seemingly disposing of Strathclyde's finest’s latest cocaine haul as a way of drying the road.
The bit to the finish needs improved, though. Technically my bike is a “gravel bike”, and it was well suited to the surface. It surely isn’t impossible to lay a temporary road made out of rubber or something?
Tempted by the big belter next year. My legs definitely have more miles in them but not sure if it’s 45. Proper training would help though.
For now though, just the extra 8 miles to Waverley. 

Yeah I saw that corner as well.

I wasn’t sure how I would go today but by the time I got up High Street I felt good. Tanked it out in 3h2.

The last bit is horrendous. I know it’s not exactly a regularly used bit of road but it’s vile. Surely they could chuck something over it.

I also noticed that the ride fragmented out after Drumpellier and even more so after Slammanan. I got caught at traffic lights on Duke Street and there were so hairy moments getting stuck behind folk pulling away.

Overall the organisation was good. Very much appreciated a Scotch pie at The Peel. I understand why they can’t finish at Murrayfield any longer as driving from Newbridge in to that part of Edinburgh is a shambles at best, never mind attempting to close roads.

Strange route Leigh Timmis is taking for Portugal to the Urals record, compared to Sean Conway. It's not really a race as Leigh is doing it supported, but I thought Leigh was heading home for a bit instead of heading East.

https://www.leightimmis.com/

https://www.yellowjersey.co.uk/sean-conway-cycling-world-record-attempt/

• 2 weeks later...

That was an interesting morning.

Roll back to yesterday when I took the hybrid to work for the first time in a while. Noticed not long after I started that the rear tyre was a little soft; but fine to continue. Forgot to top it up at work, and really felt it on the way back so filled it as soon as I got home.

This morning, after going for a mile or so it felt like something was caught in my wheel. Just as I was stopping...BANG. Sound like a gunshot; one instantly flat rear tyre.

I knew it wasn't recoverable and I was closer to home than work, so turned round and pushed. When I got home I noticed the rear tyre was completely worn at one point, so I can only guess the inner tube got into the gap and ended up being pinched. These are the same tyres I asked about the cracking on a year or so ago; so it turns out, yes it does eventually become a problem :lol: 

A quick reattachment of the rack onto my CX bike and I was only 20 minutes or so late for work...

I'm not usually one to boast, but what the heck, I'll do it anyway.  This morning I broke my distance record for solo riding at 20+mph average.  49 miles with 2000 feet of climb, 20.2 mph average.  Will probably be my last big solo ride for a while with the weather turning.

31 minutes ago, Gnash said:

I'm not usually one to boast, but what the heck, I'll do it anyway.  This morning I broke my distance record for solo riding at 20+mph average.  49 miles with 2000 feet of climb, 20.2 mph average.  Will probably be my last big solo ride for a while with the weather turning.

Cracking effort