Official P&b Cycling Thread

14 hours ago, jupe1407 said:

Tried a local APR last night. Got dropped early on, averaged 16.1mph on a 30 mile ride in windy conditions. Was in absolute ruins afterwards emoji38.png Clipless pedals make a huge difference though.

Have you ever done a chaingang?  A great way of raising your average speed (v solo) by 20-25%, if a bit sketchy for the unwary.

Have you ever done a chaingang?  A great way of raising your average speed (v solo) by 20-25%, if a bit sketchy for the unwary.
Aye I've been out a few times with the local cycling club at weekends, with theory that going out with faster riders will improve my fitness. My speeds certainly increasing with each ride

• 3 weeks later...

Tried an Audax event today with an attempt at my first century. Was absolutely fucked by about 68 miles and didn't fancy another 20 of headwind with a ridiculously steep hill near the end. By the time I got home I'd done 84 miles @15.4mph which I'm quite pleased with.

41 minutes ago, jupe1407 said:

Tried an Audax event today with an attempt at my first century. Was absolutely fucked by about 68 miles and didn't fancy another 20 of headwind with a ridiculously steep hill near the end. By the time I got home I'd done 84 miles @15.4mph which I'm quite pleased with.

That's impressive tbf, lucky if I manage ten miles. How long did it take you?

5 hours ago, jupe1407 said:

Genuine question - what's an Audax event?

I was hoping for my shoulder to be sorted by this weekend for the full Pedal for Scotland cycle but unfortunately it’s still causing a lot of pain so I’ll just cycle with my son who’s doing the 10 mile event. He’s looking forward to finishing up at the RHS and getting his first participation medal. Hopefully my shoulder will be sorted for velodrome season, crap year so far for me with regards to the bike.

1 hour ago, jupe1407 said:

Long distance cyclists association. They run loads of events, many of which are just ludicrous, eg the 160+ mile Snow Roads.

Generally cheap to enter 3-10 quid.

http://www.aukweb.net

Nutters. http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/18-398/

Two bag-related questions:

1) I've attached a bag underneath my saddle, but I have to fold my rear reflector up out the way for it to fit (it would be obscured by the bag in any case). I assume this is normal, and that attaching a light to the bag itself makes me legal?

2) I'm looking to create a bit more frame-mounted space to avoid carrying a rucksack if I absolutely don't have to. What do people think of top mounted bags, like this one: https://www.evanscycles.com/specialized-burra-burra-toptube-pack-EV292776 It sits on top of the crossbar behind the handlebars and, apparently, has the added benefit of making the bike more aerodynamic.

The other option is one of those ones where you slide your phone in the top and use it as a speedo. But I'm always a bit wary of the protection they give should I have a spill.