Official P&b Cycling Thread

I'm regressing from serious cyclist to 'bike as functional transport'. I've gone from a De Rosa carbon fibre road bike, to a cobbled-together Giant XTC mountain bike I turned into a commuter, to a single speed Edinburgh Bicycle Revolution Track (pick it up at the weekend).

Looking forward to see how I cope with Edinburgh's hills on a single speed bike.

Thinking of getting a hybrid to complement my road bike. In particular I'm keen on 700 x 32 wheels. So far, and it's early days, I like the look of the Boardman range.

I bought a Genesis CdF to do a similar job. Disc Brakes and wheel sizes bigger than the 32 if you want, although I run with 28's. Use it as a run around and touring bike much like a hybrid when not on the road bike despite having drops. Also Steel Frame so should last a lifetime. Great bike, a little heavy but then so am I so makes no real difference.

I bought a Genesis CdF to do a similar job. Disc Brakes and wheel sizes bigger than the 32 if you want, although I run with 28's. Use it as a run around and touring bike much like a hybrid when not on the road bike despite having drops. Also Steel Frame so should last a lifetime. Great bike, a little heavy but then so am I so makes no real difference.

Cheers, I'll check that out.

I've joined the P&B Strava group. I'll be the big guy at the bottom of the time charts.

Anyone got a decent checklist for keeping their bike in good nick? I've already had my first puncture. And tyre levers are miles better than a pair of spoons. But it's been very wet lately so I'm wondering about how I keep my chain clean and dry but well lubricated too.

What do fellow P&Bers use?

Serious answer? What I tend to do once a week is brush engine degreaser (Gunk) onto the chain and cassette, wait five minutes, then hold a cloth against the chain as I turn the pedals. Keep running the chain through the cloth until it runs clean. Then add a drop of oil onto each link as I turn the pedals, before running the chain through a cloth again until it runs clean. The idea is to get the inside moving parts oiled without leaving oil on the outside of the chain to attract grit and dirt.

It may not be the "right" way or the best way, but it's how I do it.

For more detail - http://sheldonbrown.com/chains.html

Great fun up at Kirkhill forest in the mud for a few hours today, feeling my legs now though.

My Crosstrail held up surprisingly well against my two mates who were on pure MTB's with big f**k off tyres. I do love my bike, much thanks to those on here, especially UTN, for some good, sound advice.

Just been for my first 'decent' bike fit at Hooked on Cycling in Bathgate. Very impressed. He raised my seat by 48mm - unbelievable how far out I was.

Also fitted various shims etc on my shoes.

The proof will be in the riding of course but a really good guy who talks a lot of sense imo.

http://www.hookedoncycling.eu/

I have been asked to participate on a charity fundraising cycle from Southend on the Mull of Kintyre to Cape Wrath. The last time I cycled I ended up in a Spanish hospital aged 15 because my wheel came off and I ploughed into a wall. Is this an absolutely terrible idea?

I have been asked to participate on a charity fundraising cycle from Southend on the Mull of Kintyre to Cape Wrath. The last time I cycled I ended up in a Spanish hospital aged 15 because my wheel came off and I ploughed into a wall. Is this an absolutely terrible idea?

Yes. If you are over the age of 18 and still cycling or skateboarding then you need to ask yourself some serious questions. Time to grow up mate, sell the bike and get yourself a Kia C'eed.

Ach you'll be fine.

I got run over when I was 13. Flying down a hill towards a T junction at the bottom and I seen a car coming from my right.

A pity I never seen the car in front of it.

The bike was destroyed and yet I walked away with a cut knee.

No. Go for it.

Thinking of getting a hybrid to complement my road bike. In particular I'm keen on 700 x 32 wheels. So far, and it's early days, I like the look of the Boardman range.

Beginning to think more along the CX or adventure road bike line. Had a look in Evans at lunchtime and their Pinnacle Arkose One looks a good buy and about my price range.

Just done a job for this guy and this is his business, for the serious cyclist!

Hand built bicycle wheels

www.wheelsmith.co.uk

Used him a couple of times and actually just lives 5 minutes from my home.

Makes a cracking job and can thoroughly recommend him

Beginning to think more along the CX or adventure road bike line. Had a look in Evans at lunchtime and their Pinnacle Arkose One looks a good buy and about my price range.

What frame size are you?

The reason I ask, is there was a guy in my bike cub selling a Focus CX bike he'd used three times.

He could put it in a showroom and sell for brand new.

If my memory serves me right,its a 54cm frame, which was too small for me otherwise I'd have bitten his arm off for it

ETA.. Sorry,just found out it's gone

Edited by Unleash The Nade