Official P&b Cycling Thread

Picked up my new bike a few days back, a BMC Citystreamer. Down from £1899 to £1000, and then whatever gets chopped off for Cyclescheme.

bmc-citystreamer-cs01-xt-2012-hybrid-bik

Did from Airdrie to Bathgate this morning, then a wee trip round Edinburgh this afternoon to try out the new helmetcam.

Pretty pleased with it so far.

cos-gregg-wallace-pic-sm-image-1-5510814

No disrespect, but by Christ that's an ugly bike. I'm sure it's well specced and rides well, but it looks like the Sissy Spacek of bikes.

No disrespect, but by Christ that's an ugly bike. I'm sure it's well specced and rides well, but it looks like the Sissy Spacek of bikes.

I like ugly bikes. Always an enjoyable ride, athough you can be embarrassed to be seen with one...

Just back from the hardest 50 miles I've ever done on a bike

We got caught in a blizzard out near Thornhilll and got absolutely soaked and frozen

I also managed to get a puncture which took about 25 minutes to change as my hands had gone numb

Not an enjoyable day in the bike

Just back from the hardest 50 miles I've ever done on a bike

We got caught in a blizzard out near Thornhilll and got absolutely soaked and frozen

I also managed to get a puncture which took about 25 minutes to change as my hands had gone numb

Not an enjoyable day in the bike

^^

Proof that what goes around comes around.

Long time lurker, back in the saddle after 30 years as rehab for a back injury, Just been doing it. December so far, so if anyone spots a large slow-moving 6 footer on a hybrid struggling up the A77 or Renfrewshire area generally that'll be me. Enjoying it so far though... Have signed up to the Strava P&B club just to make everyone else feel good :)

Right cycling types I need a wee bit of advice. When I was younger I used to ride everywhere and want to get out and about again but don't have a bike. The plan is to get a cheap bike to start with. Can I get away with one from a supermarket or amazon for under £100 or are they beyond shite?

Fire away with the tinky fifer comments.

The cheap bikes at Tesco, Sports Direct, Amazon etc are really, really shite and you'll be cursing yourself for buying one within a month. Much better to buy a good brand second hand on Gumtree or eBay. I expect with the weather being so bad and folk being short of money after Christmas there'll be a few bargains to be had.

I bought a mountain bike off Gumtree for 50 quid two years ago and it did me fine, I stuck some thinner semi-slick tyres on it as I was on the roads a lot.

I'd say do that and see if you're still interested after a year, you've then got a reason to buy a better bike if you're still keen.