Official P&b Cycling Thread

You are giving me insults not solutions.

There needs to be give and take on both sides ( Cyclist and normal people). The Evening news in Edinburgh released a map of the city showing all the serious accidents involving Cyclists over the last 10 years, it was utterly shocking. Normally young healthy people killed in the act of riding home.

Please, drop the insults and give me a response. What actions of the Car class endangers the common Cyclist?

Tell you what,why don't you get a bike and find out for yourself seeing as you obviously have no idea or common sense,and by the way cyclists are perfectly normal unless seriously provocted which i suspect is what you did to the cyclist who attacked you

Good weather for November atm. Dont know about back up home but down here I have not had to crack out the gloves yet.

Think it's gonna be a bit wet and windy here tomorrow

Haven't been out for about 4 weeks and going on a club run tomorrow so it's going to be tough.

During the summer , I was doing about. 250-300 miles a week but lost a bit fitness lately

Tell you what,why don't you get a bike and find out for yourself seeing as you obviously have no idea or common sense,and by the way cyclists are perfectly normal unless seriously provocted which i suspect is what you did to the cyclist who attacked you

I own a bike mate. A Quad bike for the rugged fields.

#Perthshire.

Edited to add, thanks for replying in a constructive way. What's your personal solution to the horrible stats about Fatal accidents for people who bicycle?

Edited by wingsoverperthshire

I own a bike mate.  A Quad bike for the rugged fields.

#Perthshire.

Edited to add, thanks for replying in a constructive way.   What's your personal solution to the horrible stats about Fatal accidents for people who bicycle? 

f**k off with your perthshire chat, I bet you live in a slum in muirton.

You give the decent folk that live round these parts a bad name.

Fud.

Think it's gonna be a bit wet and windy here tomorrow

Haven't been out for about 4 weeks and going on a club run tomorrow so it's going to be tough.

During the summer , I was doing about. 250-300 miles a week but lost a bit fitness lately

Suck some wheel :thumsup2 let the younger bolshier buggers make a hole in the wind for you.

You are giving me insults not solutions.

There needs to be give and take on both sides ( Cyclist and normal people). The Evening news in Edinburgh released a map of the city showing all the serious accidents involving Cyclists over the last 10 years, it was utterly shocking. Normally young healthy people killed in the act of riding home.

Please, drop the insults and give me a response. What actions of the Car class endangers the common Cyclist?

There are cyclists who act the c**t and ignore the rules of course, but there are also a lot of drivers who assume that the rules don't apply when you encounter a cyclist. I've lost count of the number of times that people have pulled out of a side road right in front me, or pulled out in front of me when I'm going round a roundabout (one time actually smashing into me) in a way that they'd never have done had I been in a car.

There are cyclists who act the c**t and ignore the rules of course, but there are also a lot of drivers who assume that the rules don't apply when you encounter a cyclist. I've lost count of the number of times that people have pulled out of a side road right in front me, or pulled out in front of me when I'm going round a roundabout (one time actually smashing into me) in a way that they'd never have done had I been in a car.

Do you think the police should be tougher on bike users?

If I jumped a red light in the motorcar, and the police were behind they would pull me 100/100. It seems like Buses, Lorries, Taxis, Cars are policed with one rule and the cyclist another.

Personally I find the late weave through traffic as the light is green really dodgy. Thankfully my car has excellent heater exterior mirrors.

If I jumped a red light in the motorcar, and the police were behind they would pull me 100/100.   It seems like Buses, Lorries, Taxis, Cars are policed with one rule and the cyclist another.  

Personally I find the late through traffic as the light is green really dodgy.   Thankfully my car has excellent heater exterior mirrors.

What can you reasonably do though? Especially if the cyclist doesn't hold a drivers license?

Cyclist not obeying the rules of the road irritates me, drivers being inconsiderate towards cyclists irritates me even more.

What can you reasonably do though? Especially if the cyclist doesn't hold a drivers license?

Cyclist not obeying the rules of the road irritates me, drivers being inconsiderate towards cyclists irritates me even more.

I believe you answered the question.

A full theory test and a practical examination.

Time to end the bloodshed and swallow pride.

If I jumped a red light in the motorcar, and the police were behind they would pull me 100/100. It seems like Buses, Lorries, Taxis, Cars are policed with one rule and the cyclist another.

Personally I find the late weave through traffic as the light is green really dodgy. Thankfully my car has excellent heater exterior mirrors.

I would absolutely like to see cyclists who go through red lights, or ride in the road with headphones in be stopped by the police (my personal pet hate). It's dangerous and it makes motorists less sympathetic towards cyclists in general. But a lot of drivers seem completely oblivious to just how dangerous some of the stuff they do around cyclists is. People overtake bikes in ridiculous places, or flash past leaving cyclists about 6 inches of room, and all it takes is a little wobble or a pothole in the wrong place for someone to be killed.

I think of myself as pretty decent and law-abiding as cyclists go, but I've been hit by a car once, and very nearly run over 3 more times through no fault of my own.

I believe you answered the question.  

A full theory test and a practical examination. 

Time to end the bloodshed and swallow pride. 

All that would do would be push people to cycle on pathways, which is potentially more dangerous. Without substantial investment in and development of cycleways in our cities that simply isn't a viable plan.

I would absolutely like to see cyclists who go through red lights, or ride in the road with headphones in be stopped by the police (my personal pet hate). It's dangerous and it makes motorists less sympathetic towards cyclists in general. But a lot of drivers seem completely oblivious to just how dangerous some of the stuff they do around cyclists is. People overtake bikes in ridiculous places, or flash past leaving cyclists about 6 inches of room, and all it takes is a little wobble or a pothole in the wrong place for someone to be killed.

I think of myself as pretty decent and law-abiding as cyclists go, but I've been hit by a car once, and very nearly run over 3 more times through no fault of my own.

I don't see a problem with wearing earphones while cycling, I do it and can still hear a car approaching from behind. And what is the difference between that and someone in a car with the radio turned up?

Excellent post.

It's really pleasing to see some honesty from some of the less blinkered Cyclists. When your drive a motor car you only really see how your action effect the Cyclist, you post provides analysis and although short on remedial action is the first sensible post from Cyclist. You've raised the seat, for your comfort I hope it's a Gel seat.

All that would do would be push people to cycle on pathways, which is potentially more dangerous. Without substantial investment in and development of cycleways in our cities that simply isn't a viable plan.

This is something I would like to see happen in the medium term .

As driver and cyclist i have had numerous close calls with drivers whilst cycling all caused by drivers not paying attention.

Whilst driving i have had no incidents with cyclists and that includes the ones that should take more care,conclusion,if you pay attention and read the road your far more likely not to crash

You've had four crashes,you aint paying attention, get off road and make the roads safer

I agree with this, as much as I'm probably the not the most ardent follower of the Highway Code whilst cycling, I haven't crashed into anything and I've never had a bike crash into me.

Both methods will have bad drivers of course - but if you have had 4 crashes of any sort in a car I'd be worried.