Official P&b Cycling Thread

I don't know what 'hard tail' means but I'd assume MTB is mountain bike? I was looking at those and 'hybrids'. I don't know what a hybrid is but I assume it's a cross between a mountain bike and a racing bike? I don't want/need a racing bike. I wouldn't use it for those purposes.

A hybrid is essentially a mountain bike with a thinner frame which is set up to use road tyres. They're generally harder wearing, and a lot lighter and faster than a regular MTB. Seem to have become pretty much the standard commuter bike of choice because they can deal with potholes, as well as not being heavy as f**k.

I've got a cheap hybrid and it is exactly as described above, and was bought for those reasons.

Pissing rain and a horrible westerly wind meant I took only a slight detour home tonight - 5 miles in all.

That makes 40 miles for the week, if my maths is right. I'm happy with that, given the weather and that I'd not done any serious cycling since before Christmas.

In the next couple of months, I'll be upping the conditioning for PFS, which will involve doing the 26 miles to Perth (and possibly back...watch this space!). I fully intend to extract revenge on the b*****d that is Kinnoull Hill.

Anyone been up the cathkin braes mtb track? Is it finished yet? Is it doable on a fixed fork hybrid? Ridgeback cyclone so more the mtb end of the hybrid spectrum. Any advice would be much appreciated so i dont waste a trip up there.

Just back from cycle training with club in Majorca.

Cycled a total of 485 miles, with just over 34,000 total climbs, in temperatures of 26oC,in six and a half days.

Tough as hell, but enjoyed every minute of it.

On the toughest day we did the three hardest climbs on the Island, (two Cat 1 and one Cat2 climb) totalling 125 miles and over 10,000 feet of climbs,which was the toughest physical thing I've done in my life, with the Puig Major, a gruelling 18km ,killer of a climb.

For anyone who's interested, full details of all climbs can be found here

http://mallorcacycling.co.uk/mallorca-cycling-climbs/

If you've never cycled here before, give it a try..its absolutely brilliant

Doing a charity cycle from London to Paris (between 275 and 309 miles depending on the route they take) and i'm after some donations, all cash raised will go to the Beatson Oncology unit.

Anything anyone can spare would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Paul

http://www.justgiving.com/clydesolutions

Or you can text CLYD51 to 70070 with the amount you wish to donate

Edited by Bowie_1888

Question for Garmin users. Have any of you bought the out in front mount. They seem quite expensive. But ive seen a sram model for a good bit cheaper. Just wondering if the positioning helps any

Mine is on the handlebars. Out of interest, why would you want the Garmin way out front?

Question for Garmin users. Have any of you bought the out in front mount. They seem quite expensive. But ive seen a sram model for a good bit cheaper. Just wondering if the positioning helps any

Mine is on the handlebars. Out of interest, why would you want the Garmin way out front?

Mines is in the stem onto the handle bars. However ive seen for the Garmin 510 they are supplying an out front mount. So I was interested if it's a bit better for viewing. As when you look at pro cyclists all theirs are out front. I do realise there is a big difference between the likes us and pros.

Went out a wee run yesterday on my old mountain bike. Mainly followed the cycle track from Kilwinning through to Barassie. Weather was pretty much in my favour so was pretty enjoyable although the old legs did get a bit tired a mile from home. Overall done just under 23 miles. Need to up it a bit before doing my Arran run.

The wind today between 4 and 5 was a c**t

It's great when it's behind you though,had it more or less at my back on the way home,flew home.

It's beginning to feel like spring now,i ride through some countryside on the way home and the rape seed flowers are out and smell great.

Almost killed a crow on the way home,it was sitting in some long grass on the cycle path verge unbeknown to me,when it flew out right under my pedal,about shat myself,we both survived though

It's getting better :)