Official P&b Cycling Thread

Bought an exercise bike the other day, and having been on it the last few days, it's got me in the mood to purchase a 'proper' bike.

Therein lies a problem though, and at the huge risk of a total slagging...

I've never been on a 'real' bike in my life, so I've no idea how to ride one. I'm 42. :o:lol:

So, even if I do get a bike, there's the mega embarrassment of trying to learn how to go it at my age! I'd love to get over this obstacle and go for it though. Any recommendations for a good beginner's bike? Would a mountain bike be where to start? I know nothing at all about them, as you've probably gathered.

Bought an exercise bike the other day, and having been on it the last few days, it's got me in the mood to purchase a 'proper' bike.

Therein lies a problem though, and at the huge risk of a total slagging...

I've never been on a 'real' bike in my life, so I've no idea how to ride one. I'm 42. :o:lol:

So, even if I do get a bike, there's the mega embarrassment of trying to learn how to go it at my age! I'd love to get over this obstacle and go for it though. Any recommendations for a good beginner's bike? Would a mountain bike be where to start? I know nothing at all about them, as you've probably gathered.

Why not try something cheap to start with that has been given some TLC ...? I know this is Dundee, but look around locally..... http://www.claverhouse.co.uk/cyclestop.html

If it gets dropped, scratched or whatever it's no big loss..

You might get the bug and end up splashing lots of dosh on a Pinarello Prince or whatever by the summer...? ;)

I'd be grateful for any thoughts on the Specialized cross trail sport disc 2013.

Good, bad or indifferent ?

Brilliant hybrid bike in mho

Feckin love mine although never use it now as really into road cycling more

It's in mint condition and may be interested in any offers (2012 model)

Fucking shite run of bad luck recently with bike repairs, expenses, accidents etc

Thankfully my insurance fully covered my Focus which I crashed and pick up a brand new replacement tomorrow

For those of you who have a decent bike but don't have it insured, take my advice and get it done ASAP as it'll save a lot of grief and money if you crash or have it nicked !

Off to Majorca for a weeks training camp with bike club next week , but will have to take it easy as still suffering a bit with injuries

Strangely enough the wind (for me) this morning was really strong and pretty much in my face for the duration .... even the doonhill bits were a struggle... :(

I bet it's changed direction so it's facing me going hame as well....... :unsure:

I've been getting seduced by the mountain biking dark side and I'm getting sorely tempted by some of the Cube 29ers

Don't rush yourself my friend..... I was seduced by the Orange P7 pro (with add ons at a cost..) with a view to go off road.

I have been off road and it's fun and a' that and maybe I need to try again...?

A good thing about the P7 is that it has mounts for a rack/pannier... I use it to commute to work these days......I have also used it for a 3 day tour (road tyres fitted) which was good and it does the job, but it isnae very quick.

A nagging part of me still thinks I should have bought a touring bike, however the versatility and off road ability of the MTB is hard to resist......

Whatever you decide sir, enjoy....... ;)

It's a bugger innit. Some days I want to do a long road route so a road bike would be best. Some days I want to do a bit of road and light off-road so my Tricross is best. Then there's days when I really fancy throwing myself down the side of a mountain.

When I was a kid I did all three on my Raleigh racer, but the wheels weren't quite round a lot of the time :lol:

According to a judge, not wearing a helmet lets drivers who kill cyclists get away with it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-22397918

This isn't a flippant remark. If some c**t deliberately tries to kill you on the road and you end up badly injured or worse, any claim to the Criminal Injuries Board will be reduced because you weren't wearing a helmet.

Should rape victims who end up pregnant be castigated for not being on the pill?

According to a judge, not wearing a helmet lets drivers who kill cyclists get away with it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-22397918

This isn't a flippant remark. If some c**t deliberately tries to kill you on the road and you end up badly injured or worse, any claim to the Criminal Injuries Board will be reduced because you weren't wearing a helmet.

Should rape victims who end up pregnant be castigated for not being on the pill?

Fucking ridiculous statement by the judge.

In that case then,they should make wearing of cycle helments compulsory,so no grey area.

Personally,I just cant understand anyone not wearing one