Official P&b Cycling Thread

When I bought the pedals they came with cleats. I think I paid about £25 for the lot. The cleats attach to the shoe, and they clip in and out of the pedal. You push your foot forward into the pedal to engage, and turn your heel out (away from the bike) to disengage. It takes a wee bit of getting used to but becomes second nature, and you can adjust how tight the attachment is.

Think I'll try get a set with the cleats included. The go for the shoes

With regard to the Shimano shoes and pedals, I am pretty sure that the cleats came with the shoes when I bought them, NOT the pedals.

EDIT: Just checked - they came with the pedals, my bad.

But the cleats are included with the pedals from Wiggle

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-pd-r540-spd-sl-sport-pedals/

Edited by Lossie Loon

With regard to the Shimano shoes and pedals, I am pretty sure that the cleats came with the shoes when I bought them, NOT the pedals.

EDIT: Just checked - they came with the pedals, my bad.

But the cleats are included with the pedals from Wiggle

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-pd-r540-spd-sl-sport-pedals/

Aye, they usually come with the pedals, though you can buy seperately.

I've used Highon Bikes many times (they are a retailer but also trade on ebay), and they offer pedals and cleats for £30 with free postage - link. I've always found this shop to be absolutely spot-on and their delivery times are second to none (usually next day in my experience).

Edit: just found this option: £27.99 with cleats in black, silver, or white! Nice 8)

Edited by Drooper

Some of you may remember a few months ago that I had my Boardman Hybrid Comp stolen from the stairwell. Thankfully, it was covered by insurance and I managed to get a replacement. Imagine my complete and utter surprise when last week I got a phone call from the polis saying that they had recovered it from a property in Edinburgh whilst searching there for something else!!! They even delivered it to my work. It does have a dent in the frame but from what I can tell seems to otherwise be in good nick. I really was expecing never to see it again and the police have been brilliant in all honesty. Does anyone want to buy a bike?!?!?!

Some of you may remember a few months ago that I had my Boardman Hybrid Comp stolen from the stairwell. Thankfully, it was covered by insurance and I managed to get a replacement. Imagine my complete and utter surprise when last week I got a phone call from the polis saying that they had recovered it from a property in Edinburgh whilst searching there for something else!!! They even delivered it to my work. It does have a dent in the frame but from what I can tell seems to otherwise be in good nick. I really was expecing never to see it again and the police have been brilliant in all honesty. Does anyone want to buy a bike?!?!?!

That's a good news story! Nice one.

My advice would be to keep it as a spare, though (even if you have to ask a mate to store it in his shed). I've heard of many folks punting an old bike only to wish that they'd held onto it. It's good to have a spare in case your best bike breaks down, or you want to protect it from the worst weather conditions. It's also a good way to rope mates (or your other half) into giving cycling a bash.

In other news....

**Drooper's Biking Bargain of the Week**

High5 Race Pack - a Steal!

I was pricing energy gels and drinks with a view to getting back into some serious(ish) training. I've signed up for the Skye Mor at the end of May as an initial goal to work towards.

Anyway, I used this pack when taking part in the Glasgow 100 mile ride last year, and found it to be first class on all fronts. The drinks are ideal and easy to fire down your neck, while the gels are great for a wee boost when your flagging. A nice touch is the tips booklet included. I paid a tenner for this pack from Evans, and it is good value at that price. For £4.49 (and this even includes 3 additional drinks tabs!) it is an absolute steal. I calculate that to buy the contents seperately would cost around £15+. Postage is free, and it took 2 days to arrive.

I ordered two on Monday and they arrived by courier at lunchtime. The BBE date is Dec 2012 (this is better than Evans who had to send me a replacement pack and it also had a short shelf life). I've just ordered another two packs. All in, around £60 of energy drinks and gels for less than £18!

Edited by Drooper

I hope if your insurance company paid out, you'll be returning their cheque or at least sending them what you sell the Boarman for :lol:

Seriously, nice one and as Drooper says, I'd keep as a spare

That's a good news story! Nice one.

**Drooper's Biking Bargain of the Week**

High5 Race Pack - a Steal!

I

Nice one Drooper

I've just ordered a few pack sof these as brilliant price.

I use them on long runs and definetly help give you a wee boost.

Also saves time, as before, I used to have to stop for a cup of tea and a wee scone!;)

Nice one Drooper

I've just ordered a few pack sof these as brilliant price.

I use them on long runs and definetly help give you a wee boost.

Also saves time, as before, I used to have to stop for a cup of tea and a wee scone!;)

There's always time for a scone stop :P

Aye, I've found the packs are spot-on for a long run. I only had to add a couple of gels for the 100 mile run, so by buying a few packs, you're all set for a good few rides.

I hope if your insurance company paid out, you'll be returning their cheque or at least sending them what you sell the Boarman for :lol:

Seriously, nice one and as Drooper says, I'd keep as a spare

I phoned the insurance company today and because the recovered bike has a dent on it, they don't want it back. I now have 2 Boardman's and nowhere to keep them and I'm not that serious a cyclist to require a whole bike for spares. I've got one in a bike locker at work for the moment, but that wont do long-term (and I'm a bit short of cash at the moment too) so I am going to have to punt it, so if you know of anyone who needs a bike.....

Went out with a mate last night and did 16 miles in exactly one hour.

Brilliant dry,clear night, but bloody cold, especially at some of the downhills as the wind chill was making my face numb!!

Hope the snow stays away this weekend as have first reliability trial on Sunday which is 58 miles

A few good wee bargains here

Decent lycra shorts for under £15.00

http://www.cycle-clothing.co.uk/Products/107/ccuk-3style-cycle-shorts-with-coolmax-pad.aspx

Half price Muck -Off brush set for only £12.00

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/muc-off-5-cleaning-brush-set/

Scwalbe Blizzard folding tyre less 45% at £12.99.Always worth carrying one with you in case any of you're tyres get humped

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/schwalbe/blizzard-sport-700c-x-23-folding-tyre-ec028420

Completed first ever reliability trial on Sunday with about 60 other cyclists.

A bit cold but road conditions weren't too bad.

Managed ther 57 mile route in 2 hours 59 minutes and ten seconds,so averaged 19.088 mph, which I was dead chuffed with.

Larbert way out to Kinross,then back along through Muchart and Dollar.

Long drag out with no serious climbs,but basically continual gradual climb all the way out for first 25 miles.

Some of the same coming back, but with some good fast downhill sections,but into quite a stiff headwind

Edited by Unleash The Nade

First time out this morning (commute) since I came down with the Man Flu, and I came within a bawhair of going through a car windscreen seconds after leaving my front door.

I live on a hill, and had turned onto the main drag from my street, was picking up a bit of pace, when a car pulled out from behind a parked van on the left - head on! The guy didn't even reverse a touch with a view to seeing round the van, he was going for it regardless. Instinctively - and with no other option - I had to pull hard on the anchors and my back wheel went in a slide. I skittered across the road (fortunately nothing on that side) but managed to keep the bike upright.

What irked me most about this was the complete absence of any acknowledgement on the part of the motorist that he had so nearly caused me serious grief. It was that typical dead eye stare you get.

The work has now erected the promised bike store at the front of the office. TBH, I was quite happy storing my bike in my own office, but the store is a good idea as not everyone has this option. Anyway, this thing is the mutt's. A proper, fully enclosed, anonymous looking metal structure with a good lock and a rack inside to chain the bike too if desired (mine is sitting in there with the frame and both wheeels secured to the rack :P ). Fair play, this cost a right few quid.

The work has now erected the promised bike store at the front of the office. TBH, I was quite happy storing my bike in my own office, but the store is a good idea as not everyone has this option.

I used to bring my bike into my office, and while the people I share with were fine with it, our building is semi-open plan and I've to go past a couple of other offices before getting to mine. Someone in one of those doesn't think bikes should come inside <_<

In the summer, I didn't see a problem because my tires were probably cleaner than most people's shoes, but I can accept that in winter it's probably not great. So I got a key for the cycle shed...well, I say shed, it's more like a jail because it's bars. But it's off the beaten track and seems secure enough.