Official P&b Cycling Thread

Im still wearing my old football trainers and fitbaw socks. She will moan stealing her clingfilm lol

I'm thinking your joking here..........;) However, the one thing that I would recommend is clip in pedals/shoes. Yes it may feel a bit strange and yes you will fall off when you get a bit confuddled at a junction or whatever, but you won't regret doing it......!

She'll change her mind when you get into the full lycra gear...................................sexy as fcuk

lycraman.jpg

Wife and 'Junior' just cringe when I don my Lycra........ However, I usually always cover the legs with tracksuit bottoms........they're no bonny.....! :(

I've decided to declare open war on Dundee bus drivers. I tried doing it via the local radio phone-in this morning, but they ran out of time <_<

My tactics will be peaceful. If I encounter one doing something illegal and/or dangerous, they will be filmed and posted on YouTube, with the link sent to the relevant authorities (depending on the severity of the transgression). If the situation allows, I will pull up alongside them and as politely as possible inform them of their error.

Of course, this does now mean I wear a camera attached to my helmet, but I see it as a necessary evil so that if/when these things happen, I've got evidence.

Edited by The Master

Decent wee run yesterday on the hybrid.

Had left the car in town after a night on the pish so cycled to Portobello, up and over Arthurs Seat (!) then back to car at the top of Clermiston Hill.

Only 23 miles but after the 1hr 26mins I was fecked, especially with two major climbs!

Toughest run I've done on my bike today.

Left Larbert and made for Rosyth, turned left over Hill Of Beath and up into Kinross.

Headed back towards Kincardine, but detoured up over Saline and past Knockhill Racecourse, which was a long draining climb.

Down through Steelend then back through Kincardine to Larbert,

72 miles in 4 hours 10 minutes, now totally fucked

I took the road bike off the turbo trainer and rode an enjoyable 32 mile loop around Angus taking in Glamis, Kirrie,and Forfar before heading back home.

Managed to (eventually) catch up with a fellow cyclist and we rode close for a wee while........He was probably early 60s and said he's been disappointed last 2 years as he has only done 4500 miles instead of his 7-8000 miles! He's decided to ride 40 miles a day this year and admits it's totally obsessive...!

Anyway, just over two and a half hours in the saddle for me....It's not Olympic std, but still a good day!

Got the track pump and a new pair of gloves. Next up cycling shoes. So any good links for the shoes and pedals

Shimano road shoes are good value for money, as are their SPD-SL R540 pedals.

Absolute Cycles are doing a cracking deal on the pedals just now:

http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/270900872274?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

You can pick up the shoes for about £35 if you shop around.

ETA: the pedals offer doesn't include cleats, so not quite so impressive after all (cleats cost around £15 - that reminds me....I need a new set)

Edited by Drooper

Anyone use a single speed on a daily basis? I have been offered a 2nd hand one for a commute of 18 miles but I am not sure if the lack of gears make this a non starter. The lack of maintenance is hugely appealing!

Is it a fixed gear? I hear they can be pretty hairy until you get used to them - something best done before used for the commute.

Shimano road shoes are good value for money, as are their SPD-SL R540 pedals.

Absolute Cycles are doing a cracking deal on the pedals just now:

http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/270900872274?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

You can pick up the shoes for about £35 if you shop around.

ETA: the pedals offer doesn't include cleats, so not quite so impressive after all (cleats cost around £15 - that reminds me....I need a new set)

So I would need to buy those pedals and cleats ? Are the cleats the connection between shoes and pedals then. Thankfully I have a birthday coming up. Think ive used my quota on cycle spend this month lol

So I would need to buy those pedals and cleats ? Are the cleats the connection between shoes and pedals then. Thankfully I have a birthday coming up. Think ive used my quota on cycle spend this month lol

When I bought the pedals they came with cleats. I think I paid about £25 for the lot. The cleats attach to the shoe, and they clip in and out of the pedal. You push your foot forward into the pedal to engage, and turn your heel out (away from the bike) to disengage. It takes a wee bit of getting used to but becomes second nature, and you can adjust how tight the attachment is.

Buying shoes online can be a bit hit or miss. For Shimano road shoes, I bought a size above my usual (ie: a 9 instead of my usual 8 ), but my Specialized shoes are an 8. The Specs are a snugger fit, but I only intend to use them in the Spring/Summer to they'll be worn with light socks, while the Shimanos which are used during the crap weather and for my commute allow for thicker socks. The Specs also have a more sophisticated system of adjustment. They were more expensive right enough. The Shimano RO63s were ideal for starting out, though, and I still use them routinely

Edited by Drooper

Weirdly, it is both fixed and freewheel... You can just swap them over?!?! I think it would be the freewheel for me though!

Ah, yes, I think you turn the wheel round?

Fixies are apparently really good for training, but I don't know if I'd have the haw-maws to use them in traffic.

Freewheel single speed sounds like fun if you don't have much in the way of hills on your commute. I live on a ridiculous hill, but, that aside, have always fancied the idea of trying one out.