Official P&b Cycling Thread

Disaster has struck!

100 mile sportive on Sunday....£300+ sponsorship already received....training been going pretty well....weather improving....have been really looking forward to it....

I've got a cold :(

Oh dear.

I've pumped myself full of vitamins, and I'm currently attempting to harness the power of positive thought, but, in reality, I'm shitein' masel'. I'm no spring chicken, and fitter and younger guys than me have suffered heart attacks when attempting to take part in endurance sports when they aren't well enough.

I can live with the ignominy of starting then having to chuck it due to feeling too ill to carry on (well....I can just about live with that). Dropping dead is something that will be harder to...aherm...live with, however.

FFS, very, very frustrating, but I'm still hoping that this won't developing to anything too full blown. Worst case scenario, I might have to sign up for the PFS 100 mile route next month as an alternative.

EPO :lol::ph34r:

I enjoyed the above posts (don't know what EPO means, right enough - though I'm assuming it isn't complimentary :D ) :lol:

All done.

Really enjoyed it in fact. Good weather considering how pish it has been recently. Brutal headwind coming out of Neilston at the 70 mile mark, but that was the only real struggle.

Results online already FFS! I came in in 7 hrs 7 mins (inc two stops for lunch and another for a pish/snack). Bike comp tells me I was on the move for 6 hrs 26 mins, so pleased enough with that for a clueless novice. 45th placed out of 130 who completed the 100 mile route.

How did it go paisleysaints? Hope you enjoyed it too, mate. I'm just glad I finished it and didn't end up in the RAH :P

ETA: I'm away to get pished now 8)

Edited by Drooper

Yeah good day out completed it in 8 hours 9 mins. Glad the weather held up think me and my mate had the only hybrids lol defo need a road bike but glad with the time. We prob could have been quicker but we made sure we all finished together. You must have flew by us.

All in all good day out and would like to do more rides like in the future. Finished 98th

Edited by paisleysaints

Yeah good day out completed it in 8 hours 9 mins. Glad the weather held up think me and my mate had the only hybrids lol defo need a road bike but glad with the time. We prob could have been quicker but we made sure we all finished together. You must have flew by us.

All in all good day out and would like to do more rides like in the future. Finished 98th

Bloody good going on a hybrid. Well done that man!

I started in a group that consisted of various types, including a few guys with full carbon gleam-machines. That didn't stop them blowing out of their arses on the first hill :lol:

I though it was a pretty tough route. I was chatting to a few guys afterwards, and they were saying that this is one of the hardest 100 mile routes they've ridden due to the hills. it seems the Trossachs Ton, for example, isn't nearly so challenging, which I found a surprise. The route we completed today had been upgraded to 9 point something out of 10, so I reckon we've done well for our first attempts. You on your hybrid, and me on my 40 something year old steel racer :lol:

I nearly came a cropper twice - first time going over a cattle grid in drizzle on the Old Largs Road when the bike nearly went from under me at 20 mph. The second time I hit a fence having swung a right into a side road from a steep descent and the side road was just loose gravel. I managed not to do any damage to self or bike, but it was a bloody close thing :rolleyes:

Edited by Drooper

Did the 2 bridges today in a time of 2h 42m. But I had an 8 mile ride to get to the route. Overall it was a 54 mile ride and I was shattered by the time I got to Bo'ness on the way back. Exhaustion combined with a brisk headwind and the rain took the wind out of my sails and my times dropped from 3 min miles to 5 minutes.

Still, it's my first 50-miler and I think I'll manage the Glasgow/Edinburgh run, probably in around 3h 30 and I'll be happy with that, podgy, unfit grandad that I am.

Yep well done to the guys that did the 100 miler.

I'm doing a thesis at the moment yep zzzzz, but it is due in Tomorrow so bike hasn't been in use for a week. Itching to get back out on it and get a good ride in for Pedal for Scotland. I'm sticking to the 51 mile route thou!

Well done to all those who completed the 100 miler at the weekend ,as it sound like it was a tough course.

On a totally different topic,does anyone else suffer from "smelly helmet syndrome?" ( Oh er missus!!)

Despite being qute a clean and hygenic kind of guy,my bike helmet is absolutely bogging,which is mainly caused by the wee fabric lining pads soaking up copious amounts of sweat.

Yes,I wash it frequently,but this has a very short term affect,as not long before it bowfs again.

I've noticed some of the guys in the club wearing cycling caps or bandanas under theirs and wondered if this was the secret,but surely your head wouldnt get the full benefit of all the ventalation holes.

Might be the case that I'm just a smelly b*****d!

Edited by Unleash The Nade

Did the 2 bridges today in a time of 2h 42m. But I had an 8 mile ride to get to the route. Overall it was a 54 mile ride and I was shattered by the time I got to Bo'ness on the way back. Exhaustion combined with a brisk headwind and the rain took the wind out of my sails and my times dropped from 3 min miles to 5 minutes.

Still, it's my first 50-miler and I think I'll manage the Glasgow/Edinburgh run, probably in around 3h 30 and I'll be happy with that, podgy, unfit grandad that I am.

Still quite a decent time,as weather got a bit shitty in spells yesterday.

For what its worth,you should always try and do circular routes like this in an anti clockwise direction,as it means at most junctions you'll be turning with the traffic,rather than across them,so much safer.

Congratulations to those who did the 100 miler at the weekend - especially on hybrids, that must have been tough - will post about that later (the difference between road bikes and hybrids).

An impressive cycle time by Drooper, not to be sniffed at.

Good effort NBB, remember you can take the car and park it closer to the Bridges!!

Which way round did you go Kincardine Bridge to FRB and back?

Went out for a 49 cycle with my PFS partner yesterday.

He had done the route on Friday on his hybrid and took 3hrs 20 mins.

I did it in 2hrs 55mins and he came trailing in two minutes later!! Not only did he sit in my slipstream most of the way out into the wind, I also stopped and waited for him a couple of times then just burnt him off on the home run :lol:

Really shows the difference between a hybrid and a road bike as he is undoubtetly fitter than me and said that he has never cycled harder than he did and couldn't make any inroads into me at all.

GIRFUY Winkie if you are reading this!!!!!!:P

I wonder what makes a road bike with dropped bars generally quicker than a hybrid. There's no doubt that the former has an advantage but some hydrids are lighter than cheap drop bar bikes so it can't just be down to weight.

Getting down on the drops does make a difference, but I only spend perhaps 15 - 20% of a standard ride on the drops. I think the variety of hand positions makes a big difference, though. This combats fatigue in my experience, especially on long rides. Skinny tyres also have a significant impact. I was using Conti 25mm Gatorskins yesterday as opposed to my 23 Ultremos on the Cube, and the difference in rolling resistance was marked - though I'm glad I had the Contis as the road surfaces were very poor in places and quite a few folk suffered from punctures.

I wonder what makes a road bike with dropped bars generally quicker than a hybrid. There's no doubt that the former has an advantage but some hydrids are lighter than cheap drop bar bikes so it can't just be down to weight.

Getting down on the drops does make a difference, but I only spend perhaps 15 - 20% of a standard ride on the drops. I think the variety of hand positions makes a big difference, though. This combats fatigue in my experience, especially on long rides. Skinny tyres also have a significant impact. I was using Conti 25mm Gatorskins yesterday as opposed to my 23 Ultremos on the Cube, and the difference in rolling resistance was marked - though I'm glad I had the Contis as the road surfaces were very poor in places and quite a few folk suffered from punctures.

I don't think it is much to do with the dropped bars as I spend most of my time upright on the road bike.

Loads to do with the gearing / tyres as you mention - most hybrids have thick(er) tyres than road bikes and not so quick.

Yeah seen alot of bikes by the road seen the same guy a few times wasnt having the best days.

Not sure on the difference between the bikes weight the gear set up. I noticed on the flats that the road bikes glided along them, or maybe ita down to fitness haha they are obviously better for a 100 miles. Once I get a new bike doubt I could sell my hybrid after that run we became one :-)

Yeah seen alot of bikes by the road seen the same guy a few times wasnt having the best days.

Not sure on the difference between the bikes weight the gear set up. I noticed on the flats that the road bikes glided along them, or maybe ita down to fitness haha they are obviously better for a 100 miles. Once I get a new bike doubt I could sell my hybrid after that run we became one :-)

That might have been me you saw a few times. I was doing the 100k route (kudos to those who done the 100 miler) and got 4 flats on the back wheel. I took two spare tubes with me. Had to borrow one of a fellow rider, which then exploded as it was getting pumped up as it wasn't seated right and then had to buy another from the mobile mechanic who stopped to help.