Official P&b Cycling Thread

Took UtN's Secteur out for a run today - Stirling to the Falkirk Stadium & back, 24 miles round trip. Straight away I've knocked 15 minutes off the time each way and upped my average speed from under 10 to 15mph. On the down side, a full suspension mtb hides the lousy state of the back roads a lot better than a road bike! Some of those sievers knock the wind out of you. Not sure about the dropped bars yet, my wrists and elbows were aching after an hour.

So a huge improvement. Now at least I know I have decent equipment I can start working on improving times and fitness.

Tore a muscle in my shoulder over the summer and barely been on the bike since. Been a downer, just able to do the 7 mile commute atm. But am hoping to start stretching it out further soon, the shoulder has been less agrivated this week.

Took UtN's Secteur out for a run today - Stirling to the Falkirk Stadium & back, 24 miles round trip. Straight away I've knocked 15 minutes off the time each way and upped my average speed from under 10 to 15mph. On the down side, a full suspension mtb hides the lousy state of the back roads a lot better than a road bike! Some of those sievers knock the wind out of you. Not sure about the dropped bars yet, my wrists and elbows were aching after an hour.

So a huge improvement. Now at least I know I have decent equipment I can start working on improving times and fitness.

With regards to the dropped bars,the only time I really used the lower position was when sprinting and most of the time hold ythem just abopve the brakes,which gives quite an upright riding position.

Glad to hear your enjoying the bike and improving on times.

I took the plunge yesterday and bought one of these

44405.jpg

With regards to the dropped bars,the only time I really used the lower position was when sprinting and most of the time hold ythem just abopve the brakes,which gives quite an upright riding position.

Out this morning, did the two bridges in 2 hours 32 minutes and loved every minute of it

44405.jpg

Edited by Unleash The Nade

Great wee run today, however there was a Easterly wind which meant I was rather assisted going from the west of Glasgow up the hill to Kilmacolm! Rained and I was soaked but there you go!

However still did that in a record 53mins which is 14mph average so seems times are improving and way back was 49mins so 15mph despite being into the wind. Anyway 25miles covered today so half the distance for Pedal for Scotland.

Applied for Pedal for Scotland so will be doing that on the 11th September.

Out this morning, did the two bridges in 2 hours 32 minutes and loved every minute of it

44405.jpg

Look what holding the drops has done to your typing ability!!:lol:

Nice bike, you're still too heavy though.;)

My record is 2 hours 19 minutes so you're getting there.

Did you include your tea and scone stop in the time?:lol:

My record is 2 hours 19 minutes so you're getting there.

Did you include your tea and scone stop in the time?:lol:

2 hours 19 minutes??

FFS,MB,I'm giving you 12 years and you can only beat me by 13 minutes.

Also forgot to mention,there was quite a stiff breeze when travelling west yesterday,which no doubt affected my time.

Like I keep saying MB,feel free to come over for a wee training session with the cycle club any Tuesday or Thursday night ;)

Anyway,I interacted with some of the locals though,got cheered an a-la Tour De France,by an old bloke when going through Boness,when unsure of directions and asked a fat munter in Rosyth if the Road I was on,led to Limekins,was told "How the f**k di ah ken" and had stones thrown at me by some wee kids when going through Torryburn :lol:

Edited by Unleash The Nade

2 hours 19 minutes??

FFS,MB,I'm giving you 12 years and you can only beat me by 13 minutes.

Also forgot to mention,there was quite a stiff breeze when travelling west yesterday,which no doubt affected my time.

Like I keep saying MB,feel free to come over for a wee training session with the cycle club any Tuesday or Thursday night ;)

Anyway,I interacted with some of the locals though,got cheered an a-la Tour De France,by an old bloke when going through Boness,when unsure of directions and asked a fat munter in Rosyth if the Road I was on,led to Limekins,was told "How the f**k di ah ken" and had stones thrown at me by some wee kids when going through Torryburn :lol:

Tuesday nights are out for me, previous commitment to 5 a sides and a Thursday is my hair wash night!!

What mileage did you make it on your trip Round the Bridges?

Got a decent run in yesterday from Paisley out towards bishopton to start with then i tried to follow the route for the 100 mile run so headed through Kilmacolm down to Greenock and uphill towards Loch Thom then round the Gryffe and headed back to Kilmacolm for a pint then paisley. Anyone planning to follow the sustrans route 75 round this Loch and the Gryffe the road at the Gryffe to start with is terrible not so much a road as just bricks and stones

Tuesday nights are out for me, previous commitment to 5 a sides and a Thursday is my hair wash night!!

What mileage did you make it on your trip Round the Bridges?

Door to door it was just a tad over 43.5 miles,so an average of just over 17.17 mph .

Come on man,that's no bad!

Thought I'd try a slightly different route this afternoon: Stirling-Kippen-Thornhill-Stirling, 26.26 miles in 1h 42m (average 15.4mph). Wore gloves this time so my wrists didn't ache as much. Really enjoyed it. The Secteur really likes to lift her skirts and fly given the opportunity.

What route did you go?

Along Bellsdyke road over motorway and turn left to Letham

Out through Airth,past Dunmore,South Alloa and Throsk,turn left towards Cowie (just before Fallin)

Up hill into Cowie and through village heading towards Plean.

Turn left and take back roads and Moss Road back into Larbert,which takes you back to starting point on Bellsdyke Road (14 miles)

Same start to loop,but after Airth,turn at The Pineapple and continue to crossroads with Moss Road,turn left then back to start ( 8 miles)

Hill into Cowie is a bugger,as is the one on the Moss Road which takes you over the M9 ,which you do twice

Along Bellsdyke road over motorway and turn left to Letham

Out through Airth,past Dunmore,South Alloa and Throsk,turn left towards Cowie (just before Fallin)

Up hill into Cowie and through village heading towards Plean.

Turn left and take back roads and Moss Road back into Larbert,which takes you back to starting point on Bellsdyke Road (14 miles)

Same start to loop,but after Airth,turn at The Pineapple and continue to crossroads with Moss Road,turn left then back to start ( 8 miles)

Hill into Cowie is a bugger,as is the one on the Moss Road which takes you over the M9 ,which you do twice

Meant to ask, did you stick with the triple?