Official P&b Cycling Thread

Cheers

I've been looking around for the past week or so and found nothing.

Looked at a Carrera in Halfods at £349 which was reduced from £449 and to be honest didn't look too bad,but just didnt fancy it.

To be honest,the road bike would very much be my second bike,as I love my Specialized hybrid and after splashing out quite a bit on that,really need to use it.

I just fancied having a road bike as well to bum around a bit during the Summer months.

Happy to go down the second hand route,but trying to find one is proving to be rather tricky

Avoid Halfords bikes like the plague.

Have you looked on Gumtree, they usually have some decent bikes on there. Guess it will be difficult to get one local though.

I dont think you are going to get anything worth having for 300, 400 is where the bottom end road bikes start becoming acceptable. Sort of thing like one season old Trek 1.1s. You are realling going to have to look second hand for that kind of price. Halford do a road bike at that price but its the kind that starts coming appart after a year.

Second hand is hit and miss but you should be able to get a decent bike for about 300. The problem is the parts are likely to be worn to some degree and you will eventually need to start sinking money into the bike, perhaps after only 1000 miles. But get a good frame that is the right size for your body and take care of it its should last for years with only the odd replacement parts.

Was in my local bike shop today and they totally agreed with your advice re a second hand one.

Was looking at a Specialized Secteur (below)which is reduced to £460 and although quite a bit above what I wanted to pay,could be tempted.

Aluminium frame,carbonforks and 24 speed Shimano gears

Just now a matter of convincing the missus I "need" another bike!!

mf9227_secteur.jpg

Cycled out across Kincardine Bridge today then back across new Clackmanan Bridge,which was a round trip of 19 miles.

Really enjoyed it as near perfect conditions with very little wind.

Cycling is fucking brilliant :D

Edited by Unleash The Nade

Cycling is fucking brilliant :D

See, I really love cycling but it knackers me. It's similar to thinking it's a great idea to keep drinking on a night out (which at the time it is), but the next day you feel rotten.

I'm hoping that a regular routine (as opposed to sporadic "I feel like going for a cycle today" episodes) will finally see me take it in my stride, as it were.

Edited by The Master

See, I really love cycling but it knackers me. It's similar to thinking it's a great idea to keep drinking on a night out (which at the time it is), but the next day you feel rotten.

I'm hoping that a regular routine (as opposed to sporadic "I feel like going for a cycle today" episodes) will finally see me take it in my stride, as it were.

Try going out 3-4 times a week for 5-6 miles and build up from this.

Pace yourself as well,as if like me when I started,I tried to go as fast as I could all the time and got knackered quite quickly.

Be patient and before you know it you'll think nothing of doing 20-30 miles

Try going out 3-4 times a week for 5-6 miles and build up from this.

Pace yourself as well,as if like me when I started,I tried to go as fast as I could all the time and got knackered quite quickly.

Be patient and before you know it you'll think nothing of doing 20-30 miles

I'm committing myself to doing my 3-mile commute (i.e. 6 miles a day) by bike, 4 times a week (I'm keeping Friday...ahem..."sacred" :ph34r:). It's something I've always said I'd do, yet never found the motivation when it came down to it. But I'm going to stick with it now, not least because people at work now know my intentions so I'll look a bit stupid if I suddenly gave it up.

Was looking at a Specialized Secteur (below)which is reduced to £460 and although quite a bit above what I wanted to pay,could be tempted.

Aluminium frame,carbonforks and 24 speed Shimano gears

The Secteur is designed as a roadie tourer, you have a more upright posture than many of the road bikes. If you are going for distances this is a good thing. Got myself a new bike with carbon forks this year and am loving it. The carbon takes a bit of the road vibrations out of the bike so you get less buzz in the wrists.

Was out on my bike today and cracked off 110 miles and maxed out at 38.3mph. Aceness in this weather!

The Secteur is designed as a roadie tourer, you have a more upright posture than many of the road bikes. If you are going for distances this is a good thing. Got myself a new bike with carbon forks this year and am loving it. The carbon takes a bit of the road vibrations out of the bike so you get less buzz in the wrists.

Was out on my bike today and cracked off 110 miles and maxed out at 38.3mph. Aceness in this weather!

The guy in the shop recommended th Secteur as I'm looking for a bike in addition to my hybrid,so not really intent on getting into road racing etc.

Sometimes get problems with my back,so he suggested this for the reasons you give,as offers a more upright posture.

You're obviously right into this and quite a serious cyclist,as I dont usually go 110 miles for my bloody holiday!:lol:

Only out for a wee while today and did 13 miles,as had grass to cut,cars to wash,fences to paint etc,etc,etc :(

Buggered if I know. Possibly to stop cyclists being blown into the path of vehicles when winds are high?

It is a restricted road and cycles are banned. Don't know what the fine is right enough if they felt inclined. I think it is seen as too dangerous due to traffic speed and volume. Same as the A90 all the way in towards Barnton which cyclists are banned from and the City Bypass too.

Heard of one person who got bollocked for the same in the Clyde Tunnel, all lights went to red and given the incline in the tunnel took ages because they had to cycle out and they were waiting at the top. That is more dodgy as there aren't many if any signs prohibiting it and it is very easy to miss the path to the cycle tunnel.

Something I need to do more of is cycling, need to get back to it.

Some time back I cycled from Airdrie to Kirkaldy. Going over the bridge I failed to notice that cyclists have to go on the footpath at the side. As soon as I shot through all lights went to red and every car was stopped. I was about a third of the way across when it dawned on me that the bridge was very quiet for the time of day! I looked back to see a large queue at every booth, held there while I pedaled away, not a care in the world. I climbed over the barrier onto the footpath just as a support vehicle drew up. "You know what you've done"? "Aye" says I, with a big riddy. :oops

This seems a little bit dubious given that there is at least a 15 foot gap from the road to the footpath at either side of the bridge

Avoid Halfords bikes like the plague.

Have you looked on Gumtree, they usually have some decent bikes on there. Guess it will be difficult to get one local though.

Again, I am not really sure about this comment. The Boardman range of bikes that Halfords sell are one of the best equipped bikes you can get for the price they are, it is a pretty sweeping statement so say you should avoid Halfords bikes like the plague. Why would Cycle2Work etc use them otherwise....

May as well join in the bike loving. Using my works Cycle2Work scheme I have leased a Specialized Hardrock Pro Disc 2011 in November for the year and hopefully I will get to keep it on at the end of the contract. So far it's been mostly used for cycling to work (8 miles a day) but over Christmas I was able to get it out and about on some of the forest tracks round Balloch back home and out to Banchory along the Deeside Way (40 mile round trip). I believe there are a couple of good mountain bike tracks at Kirkhill and Pitfichie just outside Aberdeen so I might ned to pay them a visit.

Cycling to work has been fine with most drivers showing a degree of common sense when having to wait behind a cyclist. I've only had one or two moments where I have been fearing for my life.

specialized-hardrock-pro-disc-bike-black-grey-59284.jpg

Edited by RiG

Anyone seent his new cross trainer/bike thingy

Elliptigo

looks bizarre but looks fast!

If you went out on that thing in Grangemouth,you'd be stoned to death!.

Looks fast on this video,but no way will it match up to a proper bike.

Also at £1,999 you'd need to be barking to buy it

Got the bike out the garage yesterday for the first time this year.

Only did a half hour since I'm a bit rusty but really enjoyed it :D

Hoping to get out 3 more times this week to keep it up and go further and for longer!

I'm assuming you're from Grangemouth?

If you want to PM me,I've got a great wee route you can go on when up to speed a bit thats around 15 miles and much of it off it on roads hardly used by any traffic

Again, I am not really sure about this comment. The Boardman range of bikes that Halfords sell are one of the best equipped bikes you can get for the price they are, it is a pretty sweeping statement so say you should avoid Halfords bikes like the plague. Why would Cycle2Work etc use them otherwise....

I had a Halfords racer about 5 years ago. The thing was coming apart after 2-3000 miles. The way they welded the frame together meant is was not all that strong. Also the wheels they did not hold tyres too well, I had a number of punctures from the beading coming lose. Awful bike. £100 pound more would have bought a decent Giant or Trek with a decent frame. The top end of the Broadmans are an effort by Halfords to shake off their shoddy image, perhaps they have improved the quality of their cheapest bikes but you will more likely get something a whole order of magnitude better second hand. If your lucky or know what your doing you might even get a Tiagra or 105 groupset rather than a Sora.

Edited by dorlomin

I'm assuming you're from Grangemouth?

If you want to PM me,I've got a great wee route you can go on when up to speed a bit thats around 15 miles and much of it off it on roads hardly used by any traffic

Why would you need a PM to tell her where the canal is UTN!!:lol:

Why would you need a PM to tell her where the canal is UTN!!:lol:

1. Its no where near the canal

2..It was quite a detailed route and didn't want to bore everybody by posting it

3. I just wanted to give a fellow cyclist some local knowledge and encouragement

4. You've got a perverted mind!

:P