Official P&b Cycling Thread

Quick wee 15 miles on the way home from work on the MB. God how i miss using my Yeti.

You miss so much of whats going on around you on a road bike on a lovely evening like tonight. Oh well needs must back to the RB tommorrow. :(

Only managed 13.2 miles tonight in an hour so well down on usual average speed, long break has not helped.

Went over Forth Road Bridge, up to Pitreavie Golf Club which is where my bell end went that numb way (apologies if you have never experienced this) and decided to turn back and found myself cycling back into the wind which was tough.

You need to have a wee read of this

http://www.health24.com/fitness/Specific_Sports/16-2175-2182-2277,20776.asp

I used to have the same problem,but invested in a new saddle and changed the angle slightly and havent experienced numb-nob since

You need to have a wee read of this

http://www.health24....-2277,20776.asp

I used to have the same problem,but invested in a new saddle and changed the angle slightly and havent experienced numb-nob since

Don't get me wrong, having a numb bell end has it's uses, unfortunately it's finding a partner willing to put up with the excess sweat at that time....:lol:

A one of chance to cycle on the motorway could be quite interesting. Especially anyone with a road bike, on the perfectly flat, smooth new road surface.

M74 Completion public participation event

Some weeks in advance of the June opening of the motorway, a charity event is provisionally planned for 22 May. This will involve walkers, runners and cyclists.

The plan is to start and finish the event at the west end of the new motorway, in the vicinity of Scotland Street, Glasgow, and take participants onto the motorway to do an "out and back" walk, run or cycle to Polmadie Road (4 km route) or over the full length to Fullarton Roundabout (14km route).

The event is likely to be limited to 20,000 participants and will offer an ideal opportunity to raise funds for charities. More information on the event will be available in due course on the project website

Does sound good Barry, would be great to fly along it. Last time i did that was before the Edinburgh bypass opened and i tanked along it on my tricycle. :D

Bit of a wet ride to work this morning, hope it dries up for this evening, planning to try and get about 25-30 miles in on the RB.

Good cycle early this morning.

South Queensferry, Portoblow, Musselburgh, Tranent, MacMerry, Haddington to Dunbar.

38 miles, 2hrs 16 minutes and averaged 16.6mph.

Thankfully was meeting the family at East Links and got a lift back.

Superb though. :D

Edited by monkeyblair

Now don't get me wrong,I love my Specialized Crosstrail hybrid,but have also got a wee notion to buy a road bike as well.

I dont want to spend and more than £300 and appreciate I wont get anything too great for that,but obviously want to get the best I can for my money.

Would like to buy brand new ,but would also consider second hand

Any suggestions from P&B road bike users?

Now don't get me wrong,I love my Specialized Crosstrail hybrid,but have also got a wee notion to buy a road bike as well.

I dont want to spend and more than £300 and appreciate I wont get anything too great for that,but obviously want to get the best I can for my money.

Will be interested to hear an answer to this.

I got the Evans Cycles magazine through the door at the weekend and have also taken a wee notion for a road bike as a second bike to my expensive hybrid.

UTN - going along the canal is not a bike ride!!!

Will be interested to hear an answer to this.

I got the Evans Cycles magazine through the door at the weekend and have also taken a wee notion for a road bike as a second bike to my expensive hybrid.

UTN - going along the canal is not a bike ride!!!

To be honest,I was getting a wee bit fed up with the usual routes and decided to give this a go,as hadn't been before.

Yes, admit it was all flat and rather easy,but extremelly enjoyable none the less and can nip along as some decent speeds.

The tunnel however,is something else!!

Never ceases to amaze me,that when people are walking towards you and they see you from quite a distance away,despite you making it bleeding obvious you've moved to a specific side of the path to allow lots of room to pass,the silly fuckers still move across to the same side!

Its also good zooming past these fannies who are out walking/jogging wearing headsets,who are totally oblivious to whats going on around them and shite themselves when you go past.

Can't understand this tbh,as they could encounter much worse that a passing cyclist and know bugger all about it until it was too late!

I'll let you know if I hear or see anything re road bikes.

The local bike shop in Falkirk GW Smith,is a good shop and usually has some good second hand stuff.

If I have time,I' m planning to pay them a wee visit this afternoon,

To be honest,I was getting a wee bit fed up with the usual routes and decided to give this a go,as hadn't been before.

Yes, admit it was all flat and rather easy,but extremelly enjoyable none the less and can nip along as some decent speeds.

The tunnel however,is something else!!

Never ceases to amaze me,that when people are walking towards you and they see you from quite a distance away,despite you making it bleeding obvious you've moved to a specific side of the path to allow lots of room to pass,the silly fuckers still move across to the same side!

Its also good zooming past these fannies who are out walking/jogging wearing headsets,who are totally oblivious to whats going on around them and shite themselves when you go past.

Can't understand this tbh,as they could encounter much worse that a passing cyclist and know bugger all about it until it was too late!

I'll let you know if I hear or see anything re road bikes.

The local bike shop in Falkirk GW Smith,is a good shop and usually has some good second hand stuff.

If I have time,I' m planning to pay them a wee visit this afternoon,

I remember when I was a bit younger I decided to see how far along the canal I could go from Linlithgow on a fairly basic mountain bike.

I think I got as far along as the viaduct and the cobbles were so bad my seat came loose and threw me off the bike and the seat eventually ended up in the canal. I then had to cycle all the way back to Bo'ness (I had been dropped off) standing up!!!

Really bad day.

Is it wrong that I'm getting knackered after only 3 miles or so? :ph34r:

In my defence, 1) I haven't cycled in nigh on 2 years, so it is a bit of a shock to the legs and 2) it's the sudden steep hill at the end of my route that kills me. Hopefully if I keep at it, it'll start to become a breeze again.

Is it wrong that I'm getting knackered after only 3 miles or so? :ph34r:

In my defence, 1) I haven't cycled in nigh on 2 years, so it is a bit of a shock to the legs and 2) it's the sudden steep hill at the end of my route that kills me. Hopefully if I keep at it, it'll start to become a breeze again.

Not really, it takes time to get back into it, especially if you have not been doing too much other exercise?

Hills are tough, you will always be knackered at the top of one, regardless of who you are, it is all about getting momentum to take you up as far as you can before you have to really start working the gears properly.

Of course, a decent bike always helps!

Made a slight tit of myself today.

I finally got my pass that lets me cycle on a restricted path through the Dundee port. At one end, there's a portacabin where someone opens the gate after checking your pass; at the other, there's just a gate. Having never used the path before, I wasn't sure how to get through. Then I saw a machine with a card slot, button and sign saying "All users must present their ID", or words to that effect. "Ah", I thought, "because there's no-one to check the pass, I must have to put it in to open the gate".

So I did.

And nothing happened.

Turns out that's a machine from a few years ago when there was a different system in place. So having just collected my pass 5 minutes earlier, I proceeded to get it stuck in a machine that it wasn't even meant to be near.

I rang the port when I got to my office and the nice secretary has printed me a new pass to be collected the next time I use the path (Monday...pub puts paid to Friday cycling!). But she said "this is the first time this has ever happened". Hence feeling like a tit :ph34r:

In my defence, the button to actually open the gate isn't obvious and I was naturally drawn to the sign.

Edited by The Master

I am going to be doing the 100 mile Pedal for Scotland Sportive ride in September so it's time to get back into it.

Over the Forth Road Bridge and towards Dunfermline tonight I think, will try and do 20 miles or so before it gets too dark!

Some time back I cycled from Airdrie to Kirkaldy. Going over the bridge I failed to notice that cyclists have to go on the footpath at the side. As soon as I shot through all lights went to red and every car was stopped. I was about a third of the way across when it dawned on me that the bridge was very quiet for the time of day! I looked back to see a large queue at every booth, held there while I pedaled away, not a care in the world. I climbed over the barrier onto the footpath just as a support vehicle drew up. "You know what you've done"? "Aye" says I, with a big riddy. :oops

I don't understand...the Forth Bridge is an A-road, so why do cyclists have to use the path? :huh:

Buggered if I know. Possibly to stop cyclists being blown into the path of vehicles when winds are high?

I dont think you are going to get anything worth having for 300, 400 is where the bottom end road bikes start becoming acceptable. Sort of thing like one season old Trek 1.1s. You are realling going to have to look second hand for that kind of price. Halford do a road bike at that price but its the kind that starts coming appart after a year.

Second hand is hit and miss but you should be able to get a decent bike for about 300. The problem is the parts are likely to be worn to some degree and you will eventually need to start sinking money into the bike, perhaps after only 1000 miles. But get a good frame that is the right size for your body and take care of it its should last for years with only the odd replacement parts.

I dont think you are going to get anything worth having for 300, 400 is where the bottom end road bikes start becoming acceptable. Sort of thing like one season old Trek 1.1s. You are realling going to have to look second hand for that kind of price. Halford do a road bike at that price but its the kind that starts coming appart after a year.

Second hand is hit and miss but you should be able to get a decent bike for about 300. The problem is the parts are likely to be worn to some degree and you will eventually need to start sinking money into the bike, perhaps after only 1000 miles. But get a good frame that is the right size for your body and take care of it its should last for years with only the odd replacement parts.

Cheers

I've been looking around for the past week or so and found nothing.

Looked at a Carrera in Halfods at £349 which was reduced from £449 and to be honest didn't look too bad,but just didnt fancy it.

To be honest,the road bike would very much be my second bike,as I love my Specialized hybrid and after splashing out quite a bit on that,really need to use it.

I just fancied having a road bike as well to bum around a bit during the Summer months.

Happy to go down the second hand route,but trying to find one is proving to be rather tricky