Official P&b Cycling Thread

Went out for a cycle on Saturday morning for the first time in years. Really enjoyed it, went along the prom at porty, along the coast through Musselburgh, past the race course and headed out towards prestonpans. Turned back before reaching there as I realised I would have to come all the way back. Came back along the john muir path to Musselburgh which was nice. Not sure how far all that was, but it was a lovely morning and I really enjoyed it.

Thats a pretty good effort, I cycled from South Queensferry and down along the prom at Porty and turned back at the information centre at the end. Was tempted to keep going but as you say, you gotta come back!!

Thats a pretty good effort, I cycled from South Queensferry and down along the prom at Porty and turned back at the information centre at the end. Was tempted to keep going but as you say, you gotta come back!!

My legs didn't feel too bad either yesterday. Shall definitely be going out again soon, should probably try some hills next time

My legs didn't feel too bad either yesterday. Shall definitely be going out again soon, should probably try some hills next time

If you are in Portablow try heading up to Jocks Lodge way then past Meadowbank and finally up towards Carlton Hill. That would be a good test and it is all downhill on the way back.

If you really feel adventurous you could head up Arthurs Seat but I wouldn't recommend it yet!!

If you are in Portablow try heading up to Jocks Lodge way then past Meadowbank and finally up towards Carlton Hill. That would be a good test and it is all downhill on the way back.

If you really feel adventurous you could head up Arthurs Seat but I wouldn't recommend it yet!!

I have thought about that route, not quite ready for Arthur's seat yet, although my previous period of cycling activity a few years back saw me going up it a couple of times (not at the same time!).

What route did you take from South Queensferry?

I have thought about that route, not quite ready for Arthur's seat yet, although my previous period of cycling activity a few years back saw me going up it a couple of times (not at the same time!).

What route did you take from South Queensferry?

There is a cycle route from SQ which takes you through Crammond / Barnton then runs parallel with Ferry Road all the way to Ocean Terminal then you have to go on the roads until joining Porty Prom just opposite Matalan.

Really easy route which is why I went Jocks Lodge on the way back for a bit of climbing.

There is a cycle route from SQ which takes you through Crammond / Barnton then runs parallel with Ferry Road all the way to Ocean Terminal then you have to go on the roads until joining Porty Prom just opposite Matalan.

Really easy route which is why I went Jocks Lodge on the way back for a bit of climbing.

That sounds like a pretty good route to South Queensferry, I shall have to try that at some point. The good thing about going along the coast is that it is relatively flat and good for novices/lazy b*****ds like me.

Monkeyblair, I can easily access the Forth and Clyde, and Union canals from Grangemouth, so I can go either,

Up Inchyra Road, through Laurieston, through Hallglen onto Union canal, turn left and follow the canal through Polmont to the far end of Linlithgow, down the back road to Bo'ness and head back to Grangemouth,

or

As above to the canal, turn right and head along the canal to The Falkirk Wheel, drop down to the Forth and Clyde canal, head out to Bonnybridge/Allandale/Cumbernauld (depending on how the legs hold up) then head back along the Forth and Clyde to Grangemouth.

edit to add, I've just realised that you don't live in Bo'ness, but I'm sure you know the area.

Edited by centralTon

Found an abandoned childs bike with flat tyres on the way back from the pub a few months ago, had a wee shot on it, it was a bit ropey, nearly fell.

A couple of years ago when me and my pals were stumbling home from the pub we found one of these bad boys!

icecreambike.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

We called it "Old Betsy" an cycled it home. We kept it in my driveway for two days before drunkenly taking it out at 4am, getting in a race with another cyclist and crashing it into a burn. I miss that bike.

Monkeyblair, I can easily access the Forth and Clyde, and Union canals from Grangemouth, so I can go either,

Up Inchyra Road, through Laurieston, through Hallglen onto Union canal, turn left and follow the canal through Polmont to the far end of Linlithgow, down the back road to Bo'ness and head back to Grangemouth,

or

As above to the canal, turn right and head along the canal to The Falkirk Wheel, drop down to the Forth and Clyde canal, head out to Bonnybridge/Allandale/Cumbernauld (depending on how the legs hold up) then head back along the Forth and Clyde to Grangemouth.

edit to add, I've just realised that you don't live in Bo'ness, but I'm sure you know the area.

I'm not being smart here but are you asking a question here or just telling us possible routes???

I lived in Bo'ness for 30 years so know both routes you are talking about.

If you want to know what is best I would simply suggest seeing on the day which way the wind is blowing and head into it on the way out so it helps blow you back when the legs are tired!!!

I'm not being smart here but are you asking a question here or just telling us possible routes???

I lived in Bo'ness for 30 years so know both routes you are talking about.

If you want to know what is best I would simply suggest seeing on the day which way the wind is blowing and head into it on the way out so it helps blow you back when the legs are tired!!!

Possible local routes, but that was when I thought you lived in Bo'ness and I agree, make it as easy as you can on the homeward journey.

Did 20 miles this afternoon,but never realised it was so windy before I went out.

However,wind behind me on return half and managed to do 27 mph for a couple of miles on a long flat straight.

Also getting a bit nippy.

Will need to buy myself one of those cyclist balaclava thingy's

Did 20 miles this afternoon,but never realised it was so windy before I went out.

However,wind behind me on return half and managed to do 27 mph for a couple of miles on a long flat straight.

Also getting a bit nippy.

Will need to buy myself one of those cyclist balaclava thingy's

My mate swears by those balaclava things under his helmet (*waits for the oo-er).

I am also just about to buy a long sleeved under armour top as they are apparently the business under your cycling top so you don't really need a jacket.

Really need to get back into things as I have gotten lazy. Away for a couple of days on business then will get back in the saddle.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Went out this morning at 08.30,which wasn't one of my better ideas.

It was windier than yesterday and I had to make a few detours due to flooded roads.

The route I took also meant the last 8 miles were directly into a head wind.

Totally knackered after only cycling around 15 miles

Now that the ice has cleared up Im hoping to get out on my bike tomorrow. YAY!!!

When picking my bike up from its service I got a pair of waterproof over trousers which means I wont get soaking when out in the rain.

Biking in the rain is strangely satisfying (offroad anyway)

The plan this summer is to dust the panniers off and set out for the Outer Hebrides. Looking to Get the ferry from Oban to Barra and island hop from Barra to South Uist, Benbecula, North Uist, Harris, Lewis and take the ferry back to Ullapool. Total cycling distance is about 130 miles and the scenery is meant to be spectacular. The weather can be either extreme, particularly the wind.

So the planning starts now. Has anyone done this route?