Official P&b Cycling Thread

My old man bought me the pump / gloves / trousers from Lidl yesterday as he was down having a look and have to say the pump and gloves are fine, I have my doubt about the trousers but at £7.99 if they last me a few rides I will be happy...

Edinburgh Bicycle Co-operative sale starts tomorrow, they will be able to help.

What kind of bike did you go for Matt?

Info below. Ill be honest though, most of the info means very little to me.......

Specialized P1 All Mountain Mountain Bike Description

The P1 AM offers technical All Mountain performance with the simplicity and robustness of its A1 Premium Aluminium frame, SR Suntour SF9 Forks, Avid BB5 disc brakes and durable wheelset.

* This fully butted A1 Premium Aluminium frame is built to be All Mountain tough at weights that rival our competitors' XC frames.

* The 100mm-travel SR Suntour fork uses coil springs, external preload adjustment and oversized stanchions for extra strength.

* The 3D-forged stem features a 10-degree rise for perfect bar positioning. Avid BB5 mechanical disc brakes, with 160mm G2 Clean Sweep rotors, allow for easily controlled stops.

* The medium-cage SRAM X4 rear derailleur gives snappy shifts with less chain slap.

* 8-speed SRAM X4 trigger shifters provide lightning-fast gear changes.

* SR Suntour cranks feature an Octalink-splined bottom bracket interface for added strength and durability.

* SBC HRD rims are double walled for strength.

* Specialized Resolution Sport 26x2.1-inch tyres have a larger volume for managing challenging terrain.

Edited by MattBairn

My old man bought me the pump / gloves / trousers from Lidl yesterday as he was down having a look and have to say the pump and gloves are fine, I have my doubt about the trousers but at £7.99 if they last me a few rides I will be happy...

Edinburgh Bicycle Co-operative sale starts tomorrow, they will be able to help.

What kind of bike did you go for Matt?

Cheers dude, shall check them out.

Did my longest ever cycle today with a mate.

Larbert-Torwood-Auchenbowie-Northird-Hart Hill-Carron Valley-Fintry-Lennoxtown-Kirkintiloch-Kilsyth-Bonnybridge-Larbert.

52 miles with a few really tough climbs,but enjoyed every minute and a perfect day.

A bit knackered now though

Just did my longest cycle so far.

Went from South Queensferry to Falkirk and back which was 34.92 miles, did it in 2 hours 9 minutes and 47 seconds at an average speed of 16.1mph.

During my journey I savoured the delights of the following towns:-

Newton

Bo'ness

Grangemouth

Falkirk

Laurieston

Polmont

L*nlithg*w

Three miletown

Winchburgh

Newton (again).

Wanted to see how my fitness / technique on the bike was coming along so did the same cycle as above tonight.

Managed to trim the time down to 2hrs 3mins and got average up to 16.9mph which included a half mile stretch where I thought my arse was going to fall off as it got unusually sore for a while.

Did my longest ever cycle today with a mate.

Larbert-Torwood-Auchenbowie-Northird-Hart Hill-Carron Valley-Fintry-Lennoxtown-Kirkintiloch-Kilsyth-Bonnybridge-Larbert.

52 miles with a few really tough climbs,but enjoyed every minute and a perfect day.

A bit knackered now though

That's a good distance ULN, how long did it take.

The Glasgow - Edinburgh ride is 51 miles and I hope we can do it in just over 3 hours (of cycling time) plus the breaks.

That's a good distance ULN, how long did it take.

The Glasgow - Edinburgh ride is 51 miles and I hope we can do it in just over 3 hours (of cycling time) plus the breaks.

Total cycling time was around 3 3/4 hours.

However,some really touch climbs,especially the one out of Fintry,which is basically uphill for 4 miles straight.

The climb form North third up to Harthill was also tough and there were another two or three climbs.

If you can do the Glasgow-Edinburgh in 3 hours cycling,thats setting an impressive pace.

Dont know how long it is,but good luck.

Surprisingly feel fine today and going out for 15 miles or so tonight

Fucking cyclists.

If my insurance premiums werent so high id side-swipe every one of you lycra-clad knobends.

i cycle to my work regularly. however you get pedestrians who scream abuse at cyclists, stuff thrown out of car windows at you, car horn blasted as they go by (so original dry.gif and so funny blink.gif ).

it's a great way to keep fit especially in good weather but cyclists do seem to be targets for idiots.

Can't think for a minute where you get that idea!

Im afraid that the sad fact is the vast majority of road-using cyclists are arrogant arseholes who have no regard for other road users or the rules of the road, the decent ones amongst you are likely to take some stick in the crossfire.

depends what kind of bike you are on,on my racer i used to get about 17/18 MPH average speed back in the day.

i recorded my fastest as 56MPH coming down a steep hill. scary as hell because there were sheep all over the place.

Had to go back and find this post as I now cannot believe that you recorded this speed!!

I clocked 36mph the other day and shat it going downhill, to do 56mph I think is unrealistic.

Im afraid that the sad fact is the vast majority of road-using cyclists are arrogant arseholes who have no regard for other road users or the rules of the road, the decent ones amongst you are likely to take some stick in the crossfire.

I take it you've undertaken exhaustive research in this regard? :rolleyes:

It's not my experience, thought there are a good few of them out there. Generally speaking, I've not encountered many arrogant arseholes on bikes as a motorist, or as a cyclist.

I complete a 12 mile daily commute on the bike (most days, and certainly whenever I can), and I also drive around 10,000K miles per years, so I reckon I'm qualified to hold this view. I can say that, in my experience, there are many, many more arrogant motorists, van drivers, bus drivers etc., but, even then, this is not a majority.

Cyclists who commonly use the same route (eg: commuters) become known to a lot of drivers, so courtesy can go a long way. I don't cycle through red lights, very seldon use the pavement (and only when there is little, safe alternative), and try to acknowledge when motorists are considerate towards me.

I rekindled my love of cycling a few months ago, having previously pretty much chucked it due to lack of opportunities to get properly off-road (family commitments etc.). The best option seemed to be to cycle to work. i now hate when I'm stuck with the car. I've lost a stone and a half, feel much fitter, and really enjoy clearing my head at either end of my working day. I'm not saying this to be smug, BTW, I would genuinely love it if more people could share the great things about getting in the saddle.

I serviced my Gary Fisher this week, and it's running like a dream :)

Edited by Drooper

Had to go back and find this post as I now cannot believe that you recorded this speed!!

I clocked 36mph the other day and shat it going downhill, to do 56mph I think is unrealistic.

Totally agree and why I also questioned this

Fastest I've clocked was 34mph and had same effect as you.

Hope the training going well for your Glasgow-Edinburgh event.

It's amazing how you build up your fitness and recovery levels even after a short time.

I went out last night and did 13 miles on a generally flat route averaging 15mph,which I was quite chuffed with, considering I don't have a road bike.

A month or so ago I wouldnt have been able to maintain that and would have been puggled at the end