Official P&b Cycling Thread

yesterday i cycled about fourteen miles in 1h 20mins, with 2 or 3 big uphill struggles but 1 giant downhill and a few other smaller downhills. Is that good?

It's not too bad,but you should be able to get it down to about 50 minutes when you take the stabilisers off!

yesterday i cycled about fourteen miles in 1h 20mins, with 2 or 3 big uphill struggles but 1 giant downhill and a few other smaller downhills. Is that good?

depends what kind of bike you are on,on my racer i used to get about 17/18 MPH average speed back in the day.

i recorded my fastest as 56MPH coming down a steep hill. scary as hell because there were sheep all over the place.

Edited by Nkomo-A-Gogo

depends what kind of bike you are on,on my racer i used to get about 17/18 MPH average speed back in the day.

i recorded my fastest as 56MPH coming down a steep hill. scary as hell because there were sheep all over the place.

it was a racing bike. A peugot and it is about 20 years old ( used to be my dads). I've just checked and was actually 15 miles. :D

Did my second 30 miler yesterday, actually did the same route.

A little less wind this time and managed to do it in 1 hour 57 minutes which was not too bad.

Averaged out at 14.6 MPH which was not too bad considering there was 3 of us and were blethering some of the way and not pushing it all the time.

We all have hybrid bikes with racing type tyres which are not solely designed for speed and are better for the climbs.

56MPH!!!??...where was it, Ben Nevis?

Did my second 30 miler yesterday, actually did the same route.

A little less wind this time and managed to do it in 1 hour 57 minutes which was not too bad.

Averaged out at 14.6 MPH which was not too bad considering there was 3 of us and were blethering some of the way and not pushing it all the time.

We all have hybrid bikes with racing type tyres which are not solely designed for speed and are better for the climbs.

Thats no bad going at all.

Agree ,when it's windy it can make it much tougher and I would rather go out in the pishing rain than even a moderate breeze.

Just out of interest, are you doing the Pedal For Scotland Glasgow-Edinburgh ride in September?

Might get the bike out the garage this weekend, since the knee's huting from the running.

Thats why I can never understand all the people out jogging on the hard pavements, as it eventually fucks up your joints,even with good footwear.

Whilst cycling is an excellent form of exercise,it causes much less wear and tear on your joints.

Plus the fact you're getting on a bittongue.gif

Thats why I can never understand all the people out jogging on the hard pavements, as it eventually fucks up your joints,even with good footwear.

Whilst cycling is an excellent form of exercise,it causes much less wear and tear on your joints.

Running distance is a bit of a waste of time if you want to get fit. There are better ways of doing it. And as you say it destroys your joints.

Im planning on getting a mountain bike in the next few weeks.

I will rarely use it on roads though as there are almost no cycle lanes in this country and its dangerous as hell on the road.

Fortunately there are a lot of woodland and forest tracks near me which Ill be using regularly.

Its a Specialized thing or somthing, about the £350 -£400 mark. I know little about bikes but it seems pretty good.

Thats no bad going at all.

Agree ,when it's windy it can make it much tougher and I would rather go out in the pishing rain than even a moderate breeze.

Just out of interest, are you doing the Pedal For Scotland Glasgow-Edinburgh ride in September?

Yep, going to enter a team of 4, the guys I have been going out with did it last year and said it was a breeze.

Riding in the wind is a killer, we went up a hill called Trapain straight into the wind for 2.5 miles and it was tough going!!

I will rarely use it on roads though as there are almost no cycle lanes in this country and its dangerous as hell on the road.

Fortunately there are a lot of woodland and forest tracks near me which Ill be using regularly.

Its a Specialized thing or somthing, about the £350 -£400 mark. I know little about bikes but it seems pretty good.

My hybrid is a Specialized and it is cracking for 500 quid, could have gone more but happy with this one.

On the roads thing, consider a hybrid if you are planning on getting fit then look for quiter roads to go on, there are millions to choose from away from the busier roads if you know your area well.

Plan on going for a 30 miler at 5.30am tomorrow to be back for the good lady going to work!!

Take MonkeyBlair advice and go for a Hybrid.

I got a Specialized from Smiths in Falkirk High Street and the service and advice was excellent.

Get the owner to look after you.He's a wee bit cocky,but will ask you lots of questions and guide you to exactly what you need.

If possible ,try and get it through the cycle to work scheme.I got mine and will end up paying about £330 for a £700 bike.

With regards to cycling in Falkirk area,there are lots of goods routes on quieter roads which I use (live in Larbert)

You can also follow the canal tow paths to Glasgow or Edinburgh,but woould need something like a Hybrid for this.

If you want details of any routes PM me

Yep, going to enter a team of 4, the guys I have been going out with did it last year and said it was a breeze.

Riding in the wind is a killer, we went up a hill called Trapain straight into the wind for 2.5 miles and it was tough going!!

Me and a few mates fancy doing this as sounds quite easy.

However,the website advises against using public transport as it will be over subscribed.

They are running buses from Edinburgh-Glasgow and vice versa for the start,but no pick up/drop off points along the way.

I live in Larbert and would need to get train to Glasgow,then cycle to Glasgow Green for stsrt,which is OK.

However,finish is in Leith,.so then need to get to Waverly and train back to Larbert.

Were just a bit concerned that its going to be a nightmare getting back after the run.

How are you & your mates planning it?

Me and a few mates fancy doing this as sounds quite easy.

However,the website advises against using public transport as it will be over subscribed.

They are running buses from Edinburgh-Glasgow and vice versa for the start,but no pick up/drop off points along the way.

I live in Larbert and would need to get train to Glasgow,then cycle to Glasgow Green for stsrt,which is OK.

However,finish is in Leith,.so then need to get to Waverly and train back to Larbert.

Were just a bit concerned that its going to be a nightmare getting back after the run.

How are you & your mates planning it?

Slightly easier for us as we all live not too far from Edinburgh. Probably all get the train through and cycle to start.

After event we will probably just cycle back to our houses!

Alternative for me is that I work in Glasgow so may drive through with bike on car and get train to work in the morning then pick up the car.

Seriously it is supposed to be pretty easy with food and water stops along the way.

:(

Never made my cycle this morning, someone wanted to play when the alarm went off....

Just did a short 16.24 miles in exactly 1 hour and 1 minute which averages at 15.9mph which is my quickest yet. :D

it was coming down from the sallygap in the wicklow mountains. The road was very smooth after just being resurfaced. pretty stupid thing to do but just wanted to see what my new bike could do.

Also cycled from dublin to stirling in two days but that was a few years ago.wish i had kept at it because i cant get motivated now.

• 2 weeks later...

Just did my longest cycle so far.

Went from South Queensferry to Falkirk and back which was 34.92 miles, did it in 2 hours 9 minutes and 47 seconds at an average speed of 16.1mph.

During my journey I savoured the delights of the following towns:-

Newton

Bo'ness

Grangemouth

Falkirk

Laurieston

Polmont

L*nlithg*w

Three miletown

Winchburgh

Newton (again).