Official P&b Cycling Thread

I looked into the Cycle 2 Work scheme but you can only opt in through my work in December FFS!!

Be aware anyone else - VAT relief only good where your employer is VAT registered and will reclaim it for you.

Good deal otherwise.

Depending on the relationship you have with your boss and how little a c*nt he/she is,theres also the option that they could "lend"you the money without going through the C2W scheme.

They buy the bike,then deduct the relevant amount from the top of yor salary over an agreed timescale.

Even if not VAT registered,you'll still get taxrelief so will save a bit

I live in Larbert,which is about 3 miles from Falkirk and just next to Stenhousemuir.

Mainly cycle around this area,which has quite few good routes and cyclepaths,including ones alongside F&C and Union canals,but find them a bit flat & boring

Ahh right

I live in Larbert,which is about 3 miles from Falkirk and just next to Stenhousemuir.

Mainly cycle around this area,which has quite few good routes and cyclepaths,including ones alongside F&C and Union canals,but find them a bit flat & boring

Living in the Royal Burgh of SQ I had thought about using the canals but a friend told me the same as you they are boring and flat. Also not great if it has been raining and you tend to get dog shit all over your tyres and up your back!

On the lookout for a decent road bike and then to get it though the cycle to work scheme, its a right b*****d cycling on roads on my claped out moutain bike I rescued from the dump.

Seen this one which I think looks decent enough, big Lance and team Radio Shack are sponsored by Trek so if its good enough for them !laugh.gif

Bike!

My advice would be to go for a Hybrid as it's great for roads ,but gives you the option to do some off-road stuff if you want.

Bought this and best buy I've ever made on anything I've ever bought!

27545_1_Zoom.jpg

Do you wear a helmet when cycling. They seem to be all the rage yet cold statistics indicate that you are actually safer riding without one. I'm not sure why this is the case, maybe because you take more risks when wearing head protection?

My advice would be to go for a Hybrid as it's great for roads ,but gives you the option to do some off-road stuff if you want.

Bought this and best buy I've ever made on anything I've ever bought!

27545_1_Zoom.jpg

For a hybrid those tyres still look thick.

I picked up my bike on Friday and managed 40 miles over the weekend.

Goes like a dream (Specialized Sirrus Sport) and think I am going to get well into this cycling malarky.

Goes like a dream (Specialized Sirrus Sport) and think I am going to get well into this cycling malarky.

The tyres on this image look chunky,but I opted for the dual treads with smooth middle for roads,but some chunky tread on the outer edges,so gives you a wee bit more grip on paths etc.

I'm now doing about 70 miles a week and like you ,really getting into it and want to start building up my distances

Edited by Unleash The Nade

:blink: How can you tell from that angle? The height of the sidewalls won't tell you that much...

Do you wear a helmet when cycling. They seem to be all the rage yet cold statistics indicate that you are actually safer riding without one. I'm not sure why this is the case, maybe because you take more risks when wearing head protection?

Can you give some evidence of this please?

One of the only situations I can think of where a helmet wouldn't work effectively (not hinder your safety) would be if it is the wrong fit.

Can you give some evidence of this please?

One of the only situations I can think of where a helmet wouldn't work effectively (not hinder your safety) would be if it is the wrong fit.

Heh, you're looking for Centralparker to provide evidence to back up one of his claims? I wouldn't hold your breath...

Also worth pointing out that the black wheels make the tyres look thicker than they are

Hmm not sure about that! I crashed on a downhill section of forest track, going roughly 35 mph about ten days ago & wearing the helmet definately saved me as my head hit the track. Wasn`t wearing elbow pads though, stupid mistake & one which won`t be repeated, as I`ve got a severe gash on my right arm just below the elbow & I`m in & out of hospital every other day getting fresh bandages applied to a deep wound.

blink.gif How can you tell from that angle? The height of the sidewalls won't tell you that much...

You can see the rubber nodules on the side walls which would indicate they are reasonably thick. Any thin racing tyres would be slicks so you can fall off easier!!biggrin.gif

Did my first 30 miler on Sunday up quite a hilly route in East Lothian. :)

Puked my load after as I drunk too much too fast then spent half an hour shitting through the eye of a needle but felt great after.

Another one tomorrow but different route.

yesterday i cycled about fourteen miles in 1h 20mins, with 2 or 3 big uphill struggles but 1 giant downhill and a few other smaller downhills. Is that good?

Edited by jojo