Official P&b Cycling Thread

Additionally, it is the fashion to scowl at motorists who have to swerve to avoid your inconsiderate and illegal manouvres.

All part of the fun - just like the drivers who cut me up, or can't use the handbrake so roll back downhill to hit me, and the passengers who jump out at traffic lights opening their door right in front of me. Of course you'll never catch a driver so much as scowling at another driver :)

5"1!! Christ, i thought i was wee! :lol:

Erm, aye you probably would need a wee girl's bike, just do it, though! Get the pink rucksack pulled all the way up your back and pigtails. None the wiser ;)

Edited by MonTheRovers!!

All part of the fun - just like the drivers who cut me up, or can't use the handbrake so roll back downhill to hit me, and the passengers who jump out at traffic lights opening their door right in front of me. Of course you'll never catch a driver so much as scowling at another driver :)

But if they are stopped at the lights what is the problem with passengers getting out the car? There shouldnt be a cyclist trying to squeeze up a non existant space in the first place. B)

5"1!! Christ, i thought i was wee! :lol:

Erm, aye you probably would need a wee girl's bike, just do it, though! Get the pink rucksack pulled all the way up your back and pigtails. None the wiser ;)

I don't like pink,and the last time I had pigtail was when I was 4 tears old. :P At least i'll save a bit of money getting a bike. :lol:

post-2736-1219694509.jpg

I bought this one at the start of the year, I think I'll upgrade next year to a lighter model, this one weighs a ton trying to carry up to my flat.

You the one arm bandit on the bike!? :lol:

You want a hard tail if you're doing any serious cycling, and shock-lock.

I did 16 miles a fortnight ago, including one dirty b*****d of a climb at Camperdown Park.

I'm trying to build myself up to doing the full 26 miles of the Dundee Green Circular again. The first (and last) time I did it, it was very much on a whim: I headed off and just kept going.

Took me a little under 3 hours, including a 10 minute lay-off at Camperdown, which I was delighted with.

I don't do much cycling at all. My train of thought is that if I've got enough time to do something else then I'm not running enough.

I do admit that I've done a few 30 mins bike sessions in the gym over the summer though and I did an 18 mile bike ride from Paisley to Lochwinnoch and back the week after the Edinburgh Marathon as a change from running. I must admit though that I much prefer to run that 18 mile route.

I don't do much cycling at all. My train of thought is that if I've got enough time to do something else then I'm not running enough.

I do admit that I've done a few 30 mins bike sessions in the gym over the summer though and I did an 18 mile bike ride from Paisley to Lochwinnoch and back the week after the Edinburgh Marathon as a change from running. I must admit though that I much prefer to run that 18 mile route.

I thought you were going to come on a post that you've done the Tour De France. Twice.

I thought about buying a new bike but my old bike from my teenage years is in my Mum and Dads shed still.

It's a bright orange Townsend 'Z' frame and I wasn't quite sure if I'd look like a fanny pedalling around on a bright Orange number at 29 years old.

Any thoughts from the cool young things of P&B?

I now have an exercise bike. Legs, nae bother. The problem is my arse. What is the best thing for saddle soreness? That's the thing that is stopping me earlier than I should be now.

Gel seat covers are a god send.I assume they'd fit excercise bike seats as well as normal bikes.

I lost the rag with one of my bikes yesterday.Have to change the pedal cranks on a bike i was given as the threads where the pedals go have threaded and they don't hold pedals in anymore byt i'll be f**ked if i can get the one chain side off.Won't move even with the proper crank extractor.Should just come off after i've taken the holding nut out but naw.. <_<

About a year ago some wee hoor stole my front fork and saddle as the bike was chained to the rack. They tried to saw the lock and couldn't get through, so took the fork but bizarrely unclipped the wheel from it and left the wheel. I got a new one with the insurance money but I haven't been out much this year - been too busy with DIY in the bathroom for most of the summer. It's a pity because I used to cycle loads. I keep meaning to get the bike out again, then remember it's buried under a pile of stuff I've had to move to do this bathroom.

Some good routes around Fife though - my favourite is along the coast from Kirkcaldy through Kinghorn, Burntisland, Aberdour and Dalgety Bay to Inverkeithing, where almost all of it between Burntisland and Inverkeithing is off-road. Then back on the road and up the hill heading to Crossgates and back through Auchtertool. The road over the Binn hill at Burntisland heading back towards Kirkcaldy is good as well - good for breaking your top speed anyway! 42mph on a bike feels brilliant. If anyone tries it, just don't do what my pal did and lose control where the road bends slightly at the bottom of the hill, and go head first over the handlebars into a wooden post and a pool of nettles. I must give it a go again now that I've got a road bike to see if I can do more than 42...

Edited by Socks

Cycling is very tedious as is running...

I prefer doing proper sports to keep fit like football, badminton etc

I would do those but unfortunitley playing football or badminton won't assist me on my journey to work in the morning, cycling does though ;)

Edited by uberman

I'm seriously considering giving up.

Four weeks ago I was almost hit by a van on the A73 heading for Cumbernauld.

A fortnight ago a woman veered across the road in Springburn, I managed to steer clear in time, preventing me disappearing under her wheels.

On Wednesday I was almost hit by a recovery truck at Tyndrum, the driver didn't see me until the last minute and had to slam the brakes on to avoid a traffic island.

Tonight cycling home through Airdrie I was hit by a guy in a car at a junction. He came round the corner, cutting across the white lines and was on the wrong side of the road when he hit me. Somehow I managed to end up on the bonnet, not under it.

He then got pissed off when I battered the bonnet of his car. :angry:

At this rate I'll be dead in a week.

Can I point out to any car/ truck/taxi/ van drivers out there that

I DIDN'T SEE YOU

is not an acceptable defence.