Official P&b Cycling Thread

18 minutes ago, statts1976uk said:

that blooming piper teasing you thinking that you've got to top but still got a little bit to go.

The piper carries significantly further than I thought. Makes you think it's nearly over for about half an hour.

8 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

It's the 2nd part of it I hate. The first is a nice steep but quickish 10-12%, the 2nd always seems worse. At least the 3rd is gentler and you can hear the Piper emoji23.png

Aye I agree. The first bit I didn't do too badly, then the second I was fucked. There's also the wee sharp climb after the descent that is so unwelcome when the legs are already burning.

• 4 weeks later...

Does the P&B peloton have opinion(s) on winter feet protection for non cleated cyclists? I weat 5-10 shoes with the sticky soles which work well with my DPD pedals, so the sole-to-pedal contact needs to be maintained. The goretex shoes are themselves waterproof but, like yesterday, the rain manages to get in through the holes the feet go in!

On 08/11/2021 at 10:44, LondonHMFC said:

I have a Wahoo Kickr Core coming to keep me active during the winter. 

I've bought an 11 speed cassette to go with it, but wondering if I will need spacers as well?

https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/bikes/road-bikes/performance-road-bikes/domane/domane-al/domane-al-2/p/33037/   this is what I'll be using on it.

Think there are a few guys on Zwift on here, could always do a group ride?

Just got back into Zwift this week after a break since March (with very little cycling in between)  Jeeso finding it so hard.  Only been doing 20 minutes or so and really struggling to get my watts above 220 average - used to be able to hold 290w for 30 mins.

Entered my first race (only 26 mins or so) about an hour ago and finished 47 out of 58 with a huge gap (and that was a category C race)  I will persevere but this is really really hard.

Incidentally, weighed myself last night and hit the 100kg mark for the very first time (been to 99kg three times in last 30 years)....really think I need a target next year

Graham Simpson from the Tories asked the FM yesterday if it was appropriate for Patrick Harvie to turn up at a Bikeability event for kids and not join them in dressing up like a construction worker and wearing a bit of polystyrene on his head. (the answer is of course yes it is)

The same MSP seen here showing that you don't need PPE to ride a bike... 

6 hours ago, Caledonian1 said:

Just got back into Zwift this week after a break since March (with very little cycling in between)  Jeeso finding it so hard.  Only been doing 20 minutes or so and really struggling to get my watts above 220 average - used to be able to hold 290w for 30 mins.

Entered my first race (only 26 mins or so) about an hour ago and finished 47 out of 58 with a huge gap (and that was a category C race)  I will persevere but this is really really hard.

Incidentally, weighed myself last night and hit the 100kg mark for the very first time (been to 99kg three times in last 30 years)....really think I need a target next year

Based on your FTP per kilo, you are a cat D, so would explain why you had difficulty in a cat C race.

Personally, I'm a huge fan of racing on Zwift.  I love the variety of different races, flat / rolling / straight up, long / short, going in specific category races or open category.  Plus keeps me fit during the winter.

On 05/12/2021 at 22:06, Bold Rover said:

Does the P&B peloton have opinion(s) on winter feet protection for non cleated cyclists? I weat 5-10 shoes with the sticky soles which work well with my DPD pedals, so the sole-to-pedal contact needs to be maintained. The goretex shoes are themselves waterproof but, like yesterday, the rain manages to get in through the holes the feet go in!

BR. I haven't been part of the peloton, or indeed checking P&B for a while... No specific reason why, but good to hear you are still making an effort on the bike. Sorry however, I really can't offer much advice related to non cleats or indeed any advice on much related to cycling these days.

Since the original 'lockdown' March/April 2020, I've only been on the road bike once (20 odd miles and really struggled).  Unfortunately this has kinda put me off the cycling thing other than the odd few runs around the village on the MTB just to escape for 20/30 mins. 

Maybe, just maybe I can get my act together sometime soon and start to burn some calories off this ever increasing waistline/beer belly?

Anyway, just wondering why you don't use cleats? Granted I struggled to get to grips with the road 'one sided things' but the double sided spd touring thingies are (for me) the best foot/pedal combo. Maybe there are overshoe boots that could be used with better water resistance if you were to use touring cleats?

Edited by broon-loon
Spelling..

9 hours ago, broon-loon said:

Anyway, just wondering why you don't use cleats? Granted I struggled to get to grips with the road 'one sided things' but the double sided spd touring thingies are (for me) the best foot/pedal combo. Maybe there are overshoe boots that could be used with better water resistance if you were to use touring cleats?

Good to hear from you, broon.

I don't cleat because I'm a fat, clumsy, old tit who doesn't have the coordination to master several things at once. I decided some time ago that the gain I would achieve is outweighed by the falls I'd endure. The fiveten shoe with the DPD pedal is good. Actually saw some neoprene overshoes in Decathlon which I think may provide the protection I seek

Based on your FTP per kilo, you are a cat D, so would explain why you had difficulty in a cat C race.
Personally, I'm a huge fan of racing on Zwift.  I love the variety of different races, flat / rolling / straight up, long / short, going in specific category races or open category.  Plus keeps me fit during the winter.
My w/kg is 2.5 which is really annoying because I get left for dead in the C's but I've been DQd from a couple of D's. Zwift is great over winter though. I thought I was mental getting a wattbike but it's superb.

On 11/12/2021 at 09:22, Day of the Lords said:
On 10/12/2021 at 22:57, Gnash said:

My w/kg is 2.5 which is really annoying because I get left for dead in the C's but I've been DQd from a couple of D's. Zwift is great over winter though. I thought I was mental getting a wattbike but it's superb.

You are right I probably am a Cat D - its just earlier in the year I was reasonably comfortable in Cat C but I was lighter and fitter then - its a long road back.  However, two weeks in and I am seeing some improvement and gone from 20 min general rides to 40 min plus races.

As a matter of interest which gear do you typically use on the wattbike.  I tend to stay in gear 13 (although for first couple of weeks was in 12)

In the races I do tend to push it in on the sprints and do reasonably well on the leaderboard

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/12/2021 at 09:22, Day of the Lords said:
On 10/12/2021 at 22:57, Gnash said:

I did a Category D race the other night where my average was  247w and 2.8kg/w and I came in 13th - only the top two had a higher average wattage (winner was 283w)  I can stay with the leading group until we come to anything over a 4% gradient then I tend to fall away (even though I push it in hard my weight means I fall back) and its pretty impossible to catch-up again.

Started going out on my mountain bike at weekends to add a bit of variety and really enjoying it - although obviously routes are still very restricted with most forrests still closed off following storm Arwen.  Bought new lights and may try going out on local routes at nights soon.

Anyone doing Tour de Zwift at the moment?  Some great rides and well into the 1000s of riders on most of them.  Really enjoying it.  Technically not a race, but they show your position so in my book that's a race. 

Anyone doing Tour de Zwift at the moment?  Some great rides and well into the 1000s of riders on most of them.  Really enjoying it.  Technically not a race, but they show your position so in my book that's a race. 
Yeah did the long route on TDZ#1 ... Not as glitchy as last year's and easy to find a group to hang onto. Hopefully La Reine isn't in this edition. That route is as boring as hell

2 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:
8 hours ago, Gnash said:

Yeah did the long route on TDZ#1 ... Not as glitchy as last year's and easy to find a group to hang onto. Hopefully La Reine isn't in this edition. That route is as boring as hell

Are you going to do Alpe du Zwift (stage 2 long route)?  Not sure I'd call it fun, but a great challenge.  Pretty lonely though even with 800 riders.

I was outside yesterday for the first time in a couple of months.  I agree on the condition of the roads!

1 hour ago, Gnash said:

Are you going to do Alpe du Zwift (stage 2 long route)?  Not sure I'd call it fun, but a great challenge.  Pretty lonely though even with 800 riders.

I was outside yesterday for the first time in a couple of months.  I agree on the condition of the roads!

Yeah, I'll take the Alpe over Vent-top any day plus I haven't done the "Fire and Ice" version. 

7 hours ago, Gnash said:

Are you going to do Alpe du Zwift (stage 2 long route)?  Not sure I'd call it fun, but a great challenge.  Pretty lonely though even with 800 riders

Think that's a good summary of ADZ, find after a while it becomes a slog both physically and mentally. 

Have been feeling a bit rough since having covid so I've only been doing the shorter routes (Cat C) but fairly enjoyable and more importantly feel I'm building up a level of fitness again.

I did the Standard Ride Stage 1 but cannot get the enthusiasm to do the long rides.  However, I went out for an hour and a half on my mountain bike yesterday and definitely feeling the benefit of my 5/6 weeks relatively intense training on wattbike/zwift.

Cant see me doing Alpe Du Zwift..  I am sure it replicates Alpe Du Huez and there is no way at my current weight (98kg...was 102kg before christmas) that I will be slogging my way up there any time soon.  I have done the real thing and it is torture (especially after 4 other NC climbs earlier in the day - Marmotte)

I continue to do Cat D races (as recommended on here) However, I often get a warning before the start that I am racing out of category - yet I still cant get close to winning any.  Did a short race on Friday and I had the highest wattage of all competitors and still came 9th - stayed with leaders until last of 6 laps though.