Official P&b Cycling Thread

On 11/07/2021 at 12:30, Day of the Lords said:

Aye, the next gen version. Expensive, but got it on 0% Finance for 2 years and sold my spin bike and a direct drive trainer which took the sting out somewhat.

The original Wattbike Atom had a few issues, particularly with gear shifting - the new one has ironed those out and seems to have been reworked to properly work with likes of Zwift, RGT, Rouvy etc 

Where did you source such a deal? I have a smart turbo but had my heart set on the wattbike after reading up on them earlier in the year. I will probably take the plunge for a wattbike in time for winter. On their website 6 months is interest free but 24 months is best part of 10% interest. 

Where did you source such a deal? I have a smart turbo but had my heart set on the wattbike after reading up on them earlier in the year. I will probably take the plunge for a wattbike in time for winter. On their website 6 months is interest free but 24 months is best part of 10% interest. 
They must change the offers regularly, I'm £99.80 for 20 months interest free. It was through their website as no one else sells them as far as I can tell.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Looking for some info from the group. I suffered a TIA a week ago and have been signed off for a few weeks to recover so I'm planning some long overdue projects to tide me over the winter and need some information.

1. I'm wanting to update my SuperSix and I'm wanting to get it resprayed or powdercoated, does anyone know of somewhere that is reliable and of a good reputation that would do this?

2. I've got an old Reynolds framed Raleigh Team Banana that I want to restore. I've not decided whether to fit it with modern gear or keep it retro but once again it's the frame I need help with. I've Googled it but can't seem to find the original paint colour scheme details, I'd like to keep the paint job as close to the original as possible.

Thanks all!

Edited by statts1976uk

I do most of the routine maintenance on my bikes myself but take them to the menders for the bigger stuff. The place I've been using for a long time changed hands a couple of years ago and the service has been going steadily downhill since. I have an almost 20 year old mountain bike which was inexpensive when new but it's seen good service and I'm fond of it. That said; I generally just use it for riding the dirt roads around my neighbourhood now.

Recently it developed a problem with the gears, which I couldn't resolve myself. So, I decided to give the bike shop one more go. The mechanic looked it over for about 15 seconds before quoting me for new shifters, bottom bracket, front and rear derailleurs, chain and cassette. Basically a brand new groupset which would've cost about 20 times what the bike is worth with labour on top of that. When I balked, he went straight into a sales pitch to try and get me to buy a new bike. I left and took it to a shop which I hadn't used before. £11, ready the following day. And they cleaned it for me too.

Today I drove past the  first shop and noticed that it had gone out of business.

Pleasing.

11 hours ago, Shotgun said:

I do most of the routine maintenance on my bikes myself but take them to the menders for the bigger stuff. The place I've been using for a long time changed hands a couple of years ago and the service has been going steadily downhill since. I have an almost 20 year old mountain bike which was inexpensive when new but it's seen good service and I'm fond of it. That said; I generally just use it for riding the dirt roads around my neighbourhood now.

Recently it developed a problem with the gears, which I couldn't resolve myself. So, I decided to give the bike shop one more go. The mechanic looked it over for about 15 seconds before quoting me for new shifters, bottom bracket, front and rear derailleurs, chain and cassette. Basically a brand new groupset which would've cost about 20 times what the bike is worth with labour on top of that. When I balked, he went straight into a sales pitch to try and get me to buy a new bike. I left and took it to a shop which I hadn't used before. £11, ready the following day. And they cleaned it for me too.

Today I drove past the  first shop and noticed that it had gone out of business.

Pleasing.

Tell us the name of the good shop, please.

3 hours ago, statts1976uk said:

Where was that Shotgun?

2 hours ago, Bold Rover said:

Tell us the name of the good shop, please.

I live in the US so I'm not sure how helpful it will be but...Evergreen Mountain Sports, Conifer, Colorado. 🙂

If you're going to give them a look, let me know and I'll meet you for a ride.

5 hours ago, Shotgun said:

I live in the US so I'm not sure how helpful it will be but...Evergreen Mountain Sports, Conifer, Colorado. 🙂

If you're going to give them a look, let me know and I'll meet you for a ride.

I see what you mean! Might be a wee bit far to go but if I'm ever in the neighbourhood I'll take you up on  that offer!

• 4 weeks later...

I have a Wahoo Kickr Core coming to keep me active during the winter. 

I've bought an 11 speed cassette to go with it, but wondering if I will need spacers as well?

https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/bikes/road-bikes/performance-road-bikes/domane/domane-al/domane-al-2/p/33037/   this is what I'll be using on it.

Think there are a few guys on Zwift on here, could always do a group ride?

On 06/10/2021 at 11:52, statts1976uk said:

Looking for some info from the group. I suffered a TIA a week ago and have been signed off for a few weeks to recover so I'm planning some long overdue projects to tide me over the winter and need some information.

1. I'm wanting to update my SuperSix and I'm wanting to get it resprayed or powdercoated, does anyone know of somewhere that is reliable and of a good reputation that would do this?

2. I've got an old Reynolds framed Raleigh Team Banana that I want to restore. I've not decided whether to fit it with modern gear or keep it retro but once again it's the frame I need help with. I've Googled it but can't seem to find the original paint colour scheme details, I'd like to keep the paint job as close to the original as possible.

Thanks all!

Just spotted this but I sent my Thorn down to colour-tech.co.uk who did a lovely job on mine. They advertise that they do custom decals, but the one I got was shite and faded to nowt after about a month or two. The paintwork is solid though.

They may have Cannondale decals for your bike but it shouldn't be too hard to source them online or from Cannondale.

Keep well mate.

Signed up for another bash at Etape Loch Ness in April. Hopefully enough motivation to continue dragging myself to spin classes and out on the bike through the winter. 
Same here. It's a cracking event, will be my 4th time at it. Worth it for the Dream Rings at the finish line [emoji23]

41 minutes ago, velo army said:

Just spotted this but I sent my Thorn down to colour-tech.co.uk who did a lovely job on mine. They advertise that they do custom decals, but the one I got was shite and faded to nowt after about a month or two. The paintwork is solid though.

They may have Cannondale decals for your bike but it shouldn't be too hard to source them online or from Cannondale.

Keep well mate.

Cheers Velo,

I was in two minds to sell it but will keep it as I didn't realise how backwards compatible di2 was so a couple of new components and a new paint job is in order. I'll definitely get in touch with them and see what they say!

I'm back on the MTB just cycling round the block at about 3mph but I'm getting there as my balance is coming back.

56 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Signed up for another bash at Etape Loch Ness in April. Hopefully enough motivation to continue dragging myself to spin classes and out on the bike through the winter. 

I've done it twice but due to ill health I won't be able to train properly for it this year but it should be on all cyclists must do lists at least once.

That King of the Mountain stage is a killer with so many false summits and that blooming piper teasing you thinking that you've got to top but still got a little bit to go.

It's a brilliant event all in. Dream Rings just about make the slog up Glendoe worthwhile. That climb is horrendous. 
It's the 2nd part of it I hate. The first is a nice steep but quickish 10-12%, the 2nd always seems worse. At least the 3rd is gentler and you can hear the Piper [emoji23]