Official P&b Cycling Thread

Had my first significant off in a number of years at the weekend there. Can't be sure what caused me to lose traction on a downhill, whether it was road lines/oil/petrol etc but I went down a belter.  Took a load of skin off my shoulders, my arse and I've got a big cut in my elbow. 

The main takeaway is that I was wearing a helmet that cracked right through with the force of the impact. It had MIPS built into it which I read reduced the chances of concussion and I thought that was a wee bonus at the time. Having comprehensively tested it now I cannot stress enough about how important a good helmet is. That was a road I must have cycled down hundreds and hundreds of times and it caught me by surprise. 

image.thumb.png.8aa74842f26bc547c2ce303729a85f7e.png

21 hours ago, Ginaro said:

If it's cracked does that not means it has failed?

No, it's similar to crumple zones in a car.  The helmet takes the punishment so your head doesn't.  Clearly if it cracked so badly it fell apart then that would be a problem, but that's not the case from the photo.

Edited by Gnash

Aye that's more or less it. The helmet's essentially sacrificial meaning my skull didn't take too much of a beating. Got the sort of concussion check up thing at the hospital straight after and they seemed to think I was ok but sent me away with a list of symptoms to look out for. 

Overall if you're looking at a new road helmet I cannot recommend the Oakley ARO5 enough. 

If you're wondering about the MIPS thing have a watch of this:

• 4 weeks later...

Looking for a GPS computer, ideally one I can sync a route to beforehand. Obviously Garmin & Wahoo are the main brands, but I'm wondering if anybody has used something like a Bryton? Are they just as good?

On 28/06/2021 at 23:18, LondonHMFC said:

Looking for a GPS computer, ideally one I can sync a route to beforehand. Obviously Garmin & Wahoo are the main brands, but I'm wondering if anybody has used something like a Bryton? Are they just as good?

I use a Garmin Edge 820. You can sync a route to it but the Garmin route making web application you can use to draw the route is infuriating at times. It does, however, support third party apps like Komoot etc. that are a bit more user friendly (Komoot only gives you one region free and then it's a subscription).

Overall I would recommend the Garmin though. 

4 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

I use a Garmin Edge 820. You can sync a route to it but the Garmin route making web application you can use to draw the route is infuriating at times. It does, however, support third party apps like Komoot etc. that are a bit more user friendly (Komoot only gives you one region free and then it's a subscription).

Overall I would recommend the Garmin though. 

Yeah I use Komoot, so would be exporting the data from there. Will take a look at the 820, I have a voucher for Evans, so will be getting it from there. 

Now just a month wait until the new bike arrives. 

1 minute ago, LondonHMFC said:

Yeah I use Komoot, so would be exporting the data from there. Will take a look at the 820, I have a voucher for Evans, so will be getting it from there. 

Now just a month wait until the new bike arrives. 

Well that's a bonus. Wasn't sure if you were familiar with it. Exporting from Komoot is much, much more straightforward that Garmin's in house solution.

They did (relatively) recently release the Edge 830 so that's probably a shout or maybe that's driven the price of the 820 down so you can get a bargain. 😁 

27 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Well that's a bonus. Wasn't sure if you were familiar with it. Exporting from Komoot is much, much more straightforward that Garmin's in house solution.

They did (relatively) recently release the Edge 830 so that's probably a shout or maybe that's driven the price of the 820 down so you can get a bargain. 😁 

I am near the South Downs, so have used it a lot for that. It is amazing in finding numerous little shortcuts that the likes of Google maps etc just don't recognise. 

Yeah happy with anything really that has a decent battery life and an easy to follow map. Yet to complete a full 100 miles in one sitting, that's the goal by the end of summer. 

How are the injuries healing up? 

9 minutes ago, LondonHMFC said:

I am near the South Downs, so have used it a lot for that. It is amazing in finding numerous little shortcuts that the likes of Google maps etc just don't recognise. 

Yeah happy with anything really that has a decent battery life and an easy to follow map. Yet to complete a full 100 miles in one sitting, that's the goal by the end of summer. 

How are the injuries healing up? 

Aye I really like Komoot for that. Particularly when I'm trying to add on bits where I'm not familiar with the roads. Last time I used Google maps for that I wound up having to get off and put my bike over the shoulder as the road it took me on had since been partly demolished up near Strathaven. 

Injuries are well on the mend. Obviously the miraculous outcome of avoiding any sign of concussion was great. I got in touch with Oakley who gave me 50% off a replacement ARO5 so I got that delivered last week. Figured it was worth the money to go like-for-like. 

The road rash on my arse & shoulder was grim. Had to peel my trousers off it every morning, similarly with the one on my shoulder. I've got some gnarly photos including one where a big patch of it stuck to my t shirt over night. My elbow was the deepest wound by far. They couldn't stitch it because I was missing a chunk so there was nothing to stitch together. Fortunately having a recently retired nurse for a maw came in handy so I could get the dressings changed properly every day for the first while. Initially I'd obviously destroyed all the nerves in my elbow because it didn't hurt too much getting it cleaned. Then on the first night of the euros my girlfriend & I set about cleaning the wound and I nearly passed out due to the pain. 😅

Most of it is healed but the scarring is a fair chunk of my forearm. So I'm going for the pregnant woman approach and slapping Bio-Oil all over it every day. 😂

The Felt still needs a bit of TLC before I get back out on the road bike but fortunately I've got my Brompton to zip about on to get myself back in the saddle. 

11 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Aye I really like Komoot for that. Particularly when I'm trying to add on bits where I'm not familiar with the roads. Last time I used Google maps for that I wound up having to get off and put my bike over the shoulder as the road it took me on had since been partly demolished up near Strathaven. 

Injuries are well on the mend. Obviously the miraculous outcome of avoiding any sign of concussion was great. I got in touch with Oakley who gave me 50% off a replacement ARO5 so I got that delivered last week. Figured it was worth the money to go like-for-like. 

The road rash on my arse & shoulder was grim. Had to peel my trousers off it every morning, similarly with the one on my shoulder. I've got some gnarly photos including one where a big patch of it stuck to my t shirt over night. My elbow was the deepest wound by far. They couldn't stitch it because I was missing a chunk so there was nothing to stitch together. Fortunately having a recently retired nurse for a maw came in handy so I could get the dressings changed properly every day for the first while. Initially I'd obviously destroyed all the nerves in my elbow because it didn't hurt too much getting it cleaned. Then on the first night of the euros my girlfriend & I set about cleaning the wound and I nearly passed out due to the pain. 😅

Most of it is healed but the scarring is a fair chunk of my forearm. So I'm going for the pregnant woman approach and slapping Bio-Oil all over it every day. 😂

The Felt still needs a bit of TLC before I get back out on the road bike but fortunately I've got my Brompton to zip about on to get myself back in the saddle. 

I'm not technical minded enough to know how they keep it so up to date, but it's really impressive. I found it a bit daunting and perhaps too in-depth to begin with but it's a great app. 

Good to hear you are on the mend, please keep the photos for yourself though haha! A decent gesture from Oakley as well.

Did you post any pictures of the bike? Not sure I saw any, did it take a beating as well?  Around a year or so back, I was on a dual carriageway following a lad on a S-Works who was fairly tanking along, as he crossed a roundabout, I could see a car hadn't noticed him (or anticipated how quickly he was going) and pulled out. The devastation was something else, the bike just crumpled, and the fella lay in a heap. I've got the dashcam footage somewhere, will try and upload. 

3 hours ago, LondonHMFC said:

I'm not technical minded enough to know how they keep it so up to date, but it's really impressive. I found it a bit daunting and perhaps too in-depth to begin with but it's a great app. 

Good to hear you are on the mend, please keep the photos for yourself though haha! A decent gesture from Oakley as well.

Did you post any pictures of the bike? Not sure I saw any, did it take a beating as well?  Around a year or so back, I was on a dual carriageway following a lad on a S-Works who was fairly tanking along, as he crossed a roundabout, I could see a car hadn't noticed him (or anticipated how quickly he was going) and pulled out. The devastation was something else, the bike just crumpled, and the fella lay in a heap. I've got the dashcam footage somewhere, will try and upload. 

The bike is probably not too bad. There's a big scrape on the saddle, the rear derailleur is a bit scratched and I need new bar tape. The right gear shifter is also a bit twisted but that's an easy fix. I'm taking it in to the local bike shop my pal uses all the time for a proper service to make sure I don't miss something critical though. It's a few years old now but I still love that bike. 

Reckon I'd burst into tears seeing an S-Works get destroyed like that. When I was up doing Etape Loch Ness a couple of years back some of the bikes folk had up there were just unbelievable. At the finish when I went for a pint I hung it on the rail next to a pristine new Cervelo S5 with the full DI-2 shebang. Probably cost as much as my motor did. 😂

I have a question about cycling in Glasgow if anyone can fill my curiosities.
Have a look at this please.
image.thumb.png.7f6211107704ae5daad1cffa7ae4b2b5.png

The green bit is now a designated cycle lane. They've done that a with a few lanes around the town.

the wee blue arrow I have drawn is the way folk come down it as you'd expect it leads on to the dedicated bus/cycle lanes.
My issue or question I suppose is with the red arrows I have drawn, cyclists seem to follow the red arrows and cut across that one way line. This lane has buses pounding through it. What is the correct way that should be used for those going left to right?

35 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

The green bit is now a designated cycle lane. They've done that a with a few lanes around the town.

the wee blue arrow I have drawn is the way folk come down it as you'd expect it leads on to the dedicated bus/cycle lanes.
My issue or question I suppose is with the red arrows I have drawn, cyclists seem to follow the red arrows and cut across that one way line. This lane has buses pounding through it. What is the correct way that should be used for those going left to right?

Does this Street View link show the current situation? https://goo.gl/maps/1Yv6UheNrLPz5zUDA

Because technically the Fastlink busway is for buses only, so bicycles shouldn't be doing the blue or red arrow routes. The blue arrows should turn left onto the shared use area next to the Clyde. Though I can see why the busway is more appealing on a bike than the main road and dodging people walking by the river - just need to be very careful if using it.

Or is the green lane bidirectional?

Edited by Ginaro