Official P&b Cycling Thread

2 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Been going out 6/7 mile ish rides on my lunch break recently. Went for one today, and managed to fall off before I'd even left my street 😂 moral of the story: if you've forgotten to put your gloves on, just stop to do it, don't try putting them on while moving.

Thankfully no witnesses.

I learned the hard way to not read a map while riding. 

Went out twice on the old Mountain bike last week First time in ages. Having issues with my gears but not enough to stop me. 

I use my phone to track my rides on strava. I don't mind using my phone but I was wondering if there is anything (free &) better than Strava out there?

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/03/2021 at 10:26, Busta Nut said:

Having issues with my gears but not enough to stop me.

Indexing (simple to adjust) or chain stretch (best replaced before you damage your cassette)?

On 24/03/2021 at 10:26, Busta Nut said:

I don't mind using my phone but I was wondering if there is anything (free &) better than Strava out there?

I used to use the Garmin App which had some extra metrics, but I had access to the paid version because of a Garmin Watch I own. Can’t say for sure whether the free app is any better than Strava.

On 07/03/2021 at 11:46, Funky Nosejob said:

There! Happy now?🤨
Anyway, to push myself on I decided to join a suitable Strava challenge to cycle 400km in March. I’ve been out every other day so far and checked my progress after this morning’s ride. I’m currently in position 129,181 with 145km.

Made 530km in March and aiming for something similar in April.
This morning’s 43km ride was notable for Personal Records all the way out to Pumpherston, but no achievements whatsoever thereafter, probably due to a NE wind rather than the standard SW.

I'm looking to track my rides in a bit more detail than just location and distance on Strava with my smartphone and was looking at fitness trackers but some seem a bit hit and miss. The Fitbit Charge 4 was one I was looking at as it has built in GPS but there seems to be a lot of reports that the GPS signal is pretty rotten. Cheap ones still need to be tethered to your smart phone which is what I am trying to "free" myself from.

I've ended up looking at a smart watch, the Garmin Vivoactive 3 which, whilst old, seems to have good reviews and the GPS seems pretty good. I can order it through Amazon US for about £50 cheaper than any of the UK stores here (even with shipping etc) but is there any reason why a a US Vivoactive wouldn't work here? I can't think of anything but maybe I am missing something obvious.

Thanks.
I bought a Fitbit Versa 3 earlier this year. The GPS certainly isn't as strong as a phone is but the only issue I've had with it is going under large bridges or the old railway tunnel on a cycle path I use. It reconnects automatically once you're back out though. Still registers the full map and gives you all your splits,heart rates etc

30 minutes ago, davidkennedyshand said:
On 18/03/2021 at 22:23, RiG said:
I'm looking to track my rides in a bit more detail than just location and distance on Strava with my smartphone and was looking at fitness trackers but some seem a bit hit and miss. The Fitbit Charge 4 was one I was looking at as it has built in GPS but there seems to be a lot of reports that the GPS signal is pretty rotten. Cheap ones still need to be tethered to your smart phone which is what I am trying to "free" myself from.

I've ended up looking at a smart watch, the Garmin Vivoactive 3 which, whilst old, seems to have good reviews and the GPS seems pretty good. I can order it through Amazon US for about £50 cheaper than any of the UK stores here (even with shipping etc) but is there any reason why a a US Vivoactive wouldn't work here? I can't think of anything but maybe I am missing something obvious.

Thanks.

I bought a Fitbit Versa 3 earlier this year. The GPS certainly isn't as strong as a phone is but the only issue I've had with it is going under large bridges or the old railway tunnel on a cycle path I use. It reconnects automatically once you're back out though. Still registers the full map and gives you all your splits,heart rates etc

Cheers. In the end I went for the Garmin and just played it safe by getting it from Amazon UK. Seem good so far and tracks well. A couple of irritating drops with the bluetooth connection with the phone with requires complete restarts of the phone, watch and app. it does what I wanted it to do I guess and that's the main thing. 

7 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

It's more a case of the wire that adjusts them sticking at points

Check that the cable is clean and nothing is blocking it, maybe a wee bit of lube.

Also is the cable connected correctly?

• 4 weeks later...

Got gifted this from my MD last week! Not had a proper shot on it yet due to not having cycling shoes and matching cleats but got those tonight. 

Been using a hybrid bike for the last 4 years so looking forward to this and seeing the difference when out on rides 

Unfortunately my fitness is a shambles thanks to 7 months of no exercise after my achilles rupture back in September. Hoping this new bike will spur me on again! 

IMG_20210423_200154.jpg

Not a great commute home when my back tyre went down and my pump fucked the presta valve and halved it 🙈. First time I've had a bike with these valves and they're a nightmare! 

For those who have shoes, did you fit your own cleats or get someone do it for you? I fitted mines last night but my right heel was pretty uncomfortable whilst cycling today. 

20 hours ago, Ingo ohne Flamingo said:

Not a great commute home when my back tyre went down and my pump fucked the presta valve and halved it 🙈. First time I've had a bike with these valves and they're a nightmare! 

For those who have shoes, did you fit your own cleats or get someone do it for you? I fitted mines last night but my right heel was pretty uncomfortable whilst cycling today. 

I fit my own and assume the vast majority of cyclists who use them do. 

I don't know why your heel would be uncomfortable wearing cycling shoes, that's a new one on me.  It can take a bit of time to align the cleats on the shoe to feel as comfortable as possible.  For me any issues are due to feeling that my foot is angled incorrectly (ie the toes are pointing slightly inward).  But it's easy enough to fix that.

4 hours ago, Gnash said:

I fit my own and assume the vast majority of cyclists who use them do. 

I don't know why your heel would be uncomfortable wearing cycling shoes, that's a new one on me.  It can take a bit of time to align the cleats on the shoe to feel as comfortable as possible.  For me any issues are due to feeling that my foot is angled incorrectly (ie the toes are pointing slightly inward).  But it's easy enough to fix that.

Aye I think I've maybe got the cleats too far up my foot nearer my toes, maybe needs to come back a wee bit. 

Other thing I noticed cycling with clipless shoes was my knees and lower quads killing me. No idea if this is because it's my first bout of exercise in 7 months, or if its the cleats or the height of my seat

8 hours ago, Ingo ohne Flamingo said:

Aye I think I've maybe got the cleats too far up my foot nearer my toes, maybe needs to come back a wee bit. 

Other thing I noticed cycling with clipless shoes was my knees and lower quads killing me. No idea if this is because it's my first bout of exercise in 7 months, or if its the cleats or the height of my seat

Not comprehensive, but a general, basic starting point …

Front of knees sore = saddle too low

Back of knees sore = saddle too high

Cycled from Leith out to South Queensferry yesterday and back clocking in at around 60 km. Doing it after leg day at the gym was suicidal though and I was so close to bailing and hoping on a tram by the time I got back to Edinburgh Park :lol:

Nice little gravel path along the old railway line from Newbridge to Dalmeny made for quite a pleasant cycle.

Edited by RiG

• 2 weeks later...

I got myself a brand spanking new Allez the other week. 15 minutes into my first outing I decided to test the speed far too quickly and made a rip roaring c**t of it.

To cut a long story short I’ve had a fairly high speed crash, all my own doing, and one of the handlebars has made a dent in the upper tube. My local bike repair shop said there’s nothing that can be done. Seething doesn’t even come close to it.

I’m planning to continue using it and just keep an eye out for any increase evidence of cracking. Has anyone else had a similar issue and continued to use their bike? My thinking is that it shouldn’t cause any issues so long as I don’t get in another significant crash?

2DD28733-01A3-4ED8-B727-A780828421D7.jpeg

40 minutes ago, St. Jude said:

I’m planning to continue using it and just keep an eye out for any increase evidence of cracking. Has anyone else had a similar issue and continued to use their bike? My thinking is that it shouldn’t cause any issues so long as I don’t get in another significant crash?

The obvious issue being if you do have another crash. You want to be safe as possible, I can fully understand your frustration but I would personally be looking to replace the frame. 

1 hour ago, LondonHMFC said:

The obvious issue being if you do have another crash. You want to be safe as possible, I can fully understand your frustration but I would personally be looking to replace the frame. 

Cheers mate, as much as that wasn't the answer I was hoping for I think it's the most sensible approach. 

6 hours ago, St. Jude said:

I got myself a brand spanking new Allez the other week. 15 minutes into my first outing I decided to test the speed far too quickly and made a rip roaring c**t of it.

To cut a long story short I’ve had a fairly high speed crash, all my own doing, and one of the handlebars has made a dent in the upper tube. My local bike repair shop said there’s nothing that can be done. Seething doesn’t even come close to it.

2DD28733-01A3-4ED8-B727-A780828421D7.jpeg

Do you have it insured on your home insurance? I'd be looking to claim for it on that if you do.

5 hours ago, St. Jude said:

Cheers mate, as much as that wasn't the answer I was hoping for I think it's the most sensible approach. 

Yeah, I had a similar issue a few years back after a 50/50 with a trailer. I cycled it for a further week, but never felt 100% safe on it. Whilst you won't get all your cash back, you might be able to shift the individual parts to an independent shop. Or as @die hard doonhamer mentioned, could be worth going down the insurance route depending on how long you want to wait. 

17 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Do you have it insured on your home insurance? I'd be looking to claim for it on that if you do.

16 hours ago, LondonHMFC said:

Yeah, I had a similar issue a few years back after a 50/50 with a trailer. I cycled it for a further week, but never felt 100% safe on it. Whilst you won't get all your cash back, you might be able to shift the individual parts to an independent shop. Or as @die hard doonhamer mentioned, could be worth going down the insurance route depending on how long you want to wait. 

Thanks again, I think I'll look down the home insurance route. If this had happened 10 years ago in my early twenties there's no doubt I would have fired some gaffa tape over and forgotten all about it. There's every chance it would be fine but the older you get the more you think about the worst case scenarios I suppose. 

You can look for a second hand bike of a similar make and move your parts onto that. But its a pain, the Allez uses a BB30 bottom bracket which is awkward as f**k. 

If its a carbon frame, its dead. If its aluminium well publicly Id tell you to ditch it, but if it were mine, I've ridden worse.