Official P&b Cycling Thread

• 2 weeks later...

Went out on Saturday for first time this year.....about 3 miles in I realised what was missing - I had forgotten my helmet.  Thought about going back but decided against it as wasn't planning too long a ride anyway.  Think this distracted me a bit and caelessness meant I hit a rather sharp and deep pothole a mile later.  Nightmare, sometimes you can go months without a puncture but back tyre needed replaced.  Broke my solitary tyre lever almost instantly but a couple of ladies on their bikes passed and asked if I needed any help so got use of their tyre levers.  Thanked them and set off.....didn't even get a couple of feet when I realised my front tyre had burst in the same incident.  Luckily the ladies gave me another tube (I had only carried one spare) Decided that this just wasnt my day and headed home again.

Went out to do a 21km route on Sunday - not far I know but it's a route I like to push it in on to see how I am progressing.  Was delighted to record my second best time (out of 23 attempts on Strava) and can only think that I am seeing the benefit of 6 weeks on Zwift.

Incidentally only other time i can recall forgetting my helmet was 11 years ago when I did Lands End to John o'Groats - got off train at Kings Cross wondering where my helmet was  (was going to cycle to Paddington to catch sleeper to Penzance) - I could clearly remeber seeing it last - on my kitchen table.  Did day one 135 miles (longest ever cycle at the time) without a helmt and bought one in Taunton the next day. I had a crash last year - pictures on this thread - which,  looking back seriously could have killed me if I had not worn a helmet - landed on my head and shoulder with great force.  Will make sure it's on from now on.

Strava is celebrating my achievement of covering the Johnsburn Rd to Haughhead Rd stretch in Balerno more often than anyone else in the last 90 days.

Or, put another way, I’ve wimped out of a particular stretch of the A70 more often than anyone else.

I suspect they’re trying to massage my ego to coax me into paying for extra app features. They’ll have to try harder. 

2 hours ago, Funky Nosejob said:

Strava is celebrating my achievement of covering the Johnsburn Rd to Haughhead Rd stretch in Balerno more often than anyone else in the last 90 days.

Or, put another way, I’ve wimped out of a particular stretch of the A70 more often than anyone else.

I suspect they’re trying to massage my ego to coax me into paying for extra app features. They’ll have to try harder. 

Yeah, the local legend thing is a bit odd.  Seems to be rewarding a lack of imagination. 😄

7 minutes ago, Gnash said:

Yeah, the local legend thing is a bit odd.  Seems to be rewarding a lack of imagination. 😄

I’m over 50 with a swimmer’s build, riding an 8 gear, single chainring, £300 hybrid bicycle.

I’m never going to get a KOM, so I’ll take any accolades going.

21 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

talk to me about strava, have they striped it back a bit in recent years?

I use the free version which gives me distance, elevation, moving and elapsed time, and average and maximum speed. I also get a map and speed and elevation graphs.

Could not get my grandson to try his bike without stabilizers not matter what i tried last summer,then last week he asked for his bike out the shed 2 minutes later he pasted me at a fair rate of knots no problem,i asked where did you learn that(school he shouted)

So of course i went and bought him a new bike.

9 hours ago, keithgy said:

Could not get my grandson to try his bike without stabilizers not matter what i tried last summer,then last week he asked for his bike out the shed 2 minutes later he pasted me at a fair rate of knots no problem,i asked where did you learn that(school he shouted)

So of course i went and bought him a new bike.

Depending on whether your grandson is under 13 or not, either don’t get him Strava or go for the free version initially.

Edited by Funky Nosejob

20 hours ago, Funky Nosejob said:

I’m over 50 with a swimmer’s build, riding an 8 gear, single chainring, £300 hybrid bicycle.

I'm over 50 and carry far too much weight but still hold 4 or 5 KOM's. Would have a swimmers build if I had done some swimming since mid-December

On 05/03/2021 at 13:47, Caledonian1 said:

I'm over 50 and carry far too much weight but still hold 4 or 5 KOM's. Would have a swimmers build if I had done some swimming since mid-December

On 04/03/2021 at 17:32, Funky Nosejob said:

I’m over 50 with a swimmer’s build sparrow legs, riding an 8 gear, single chainring, £300 hybrid bicycle.

There! Happy now?🤨
Anyway, to push myself on I decided to join a suitable Strava challenge to cycle 400km in March. I’ve been out every other day so far and checked my progress after this morning’s ride. I’m currently in position 129,181 with 145km.
Everyone in the top 10 is over 1,000km and the leader is claiming an impressive 10,366km in 7 days. If that’s your level of cycling, why would you join a challenge to cycle 400km in a month?

3 minutes ago, Funky Nosejob said:

There! Happy now?🤨
Anyway, to push myself on I decided to join a suitable Strava challenge to cycle 400km in March. I’ve been out every other day so far and checked my progress after this morning’s ride. I’m currently in position 129,181 with 145km.
Everyone in the top 10 is over 1,000km and the leader is claiming an impressive 10,366km in 7 days. If that’s your level of cycling, why would you join a challenge to cycle 400km in a month?

utter nonsense...averaging  910 miles per day - not possible....an impressive 38mph for 24 hours every day...nah sounds like an error on his account.  91 miles per day is of course easily achievable if you have the time (I have done 900 miles in a 6 day period but that was doing LE-JoG)

That's a bit like my Samsung phone recording my steps for the Samsung Health app with a monthly target of 200k steps. The folk at the top are doing the equivalent of ultra marathons every day for a month. So you've worked out a way to cheat the app - really? Why bother? I know I'm going to sound ancient here but the only person you're cheating is yourself.