Official P&b Cycling Thread

1 hour ago, Ginaro said:

Mind you don't swear at a driver after they've assaulted you otherwise you'll get a visit from the polis :blink:

https://www.cyclinguk.org/news/cycling-uk-demands-reform-after-assaulted-cyclist-warned-swearing

Surely the driver was swearing as well so how come he didn't get the same?

8 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

The climb from the north is probably just as tough tbh. You could just do it as an "out and back", alternatively descend the other side, and return via Drumtochty Glen (hard left at the bottom of the hill at the Clatterin Brig restaurant) to Auchenblae then turn it into a big loop by heading towards Stonehaven (take a backroad off to the left just before it) onto the Slug Road then eventually back to Inverurie. As a guesstimate I think you'd be 100km+ for that with a decent amount of total ascent. 

Thanks - I checked the out and back distance and it's 150km (we're staying the other side of Inverurie).  It's doable but I'll need a good weather forecast - no way am I doing that distance soaking wet at 8 degrees!

I'm currently two thirds of the way through The Great Glen Way on my MTB. Yesterday was from Fort William to Fort Augustus was ok, other that the usual sore arse and hips by the end. Today from Fort Augustus to Drumnadrochit was brutal, I must have spent at least half the time slowly pushing the bike up never ending hills.

5 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Surely the driver was swearing as well so how come he didn't get the same?

The driver got a warning, presumably for the assault, and when this piss poor punishment was publicised the police looked at it again and eventually gave the cyclist a warning as well.

Funny that the police haven't considered the wording of section 38 which says "It is a defence for a person charged with an offence under subsection (1) to show that the behaviour was, in the particular circumstances, reasonable." - most people would think it's reasonable to swear at someone driving too close and assaulting you!

Edited by Ginaro

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/10/2020 at 17:14, Gnash said:

Thanks - I checked the out and back distance and it's 150km (we're staying the other side of Inverurie).  It's doable but I'll need a good weather forecast - no way am I doing that distance soaking wet at 8 degrees!

I ended up doing a loop via Aboyne and Banchory, plus Cairn O' Mount from both sides.  160km in total.

And holy heck, COM from the south goes straight in at no. 1 in the hardest climb I have ever done.  I've done Bealach na Ba, Great Dun Fell and Glen Quaich and that beats them all.

I'm a good hill climber with several Strava KOMs on steep hills, but I was down to 4 mph in places and was on the verge of climbing off.  

The slight mitigation is that I had already done 60 miles and just done the climb from the north, which itself is pretty tough.  Would love to give it a go starting from the bridge.

• 2 months later...

Well last nights bike ride was unusual. I pulled into a secluded layby for a rest and a bite to eat. There was a car there with tinted windows and a running engine. Thought nothing of it, cruised in on my silent bike and had top up meal. Then got up for a pee and noticed two bare foot soles sticking out from the back seat. Everything became clearer almost instantly as I noticed the flabby white arse between them grinding away. I was like lol but eeeewwww.

About an hour later, after it had gotten dark, I heard the usual gunning of an engine behind me. Sounded like he was going wide so no real concern. He had not noticed the central reservation though, someone had wiped out the signs and it was dark. Went over it at x mph what ever x was. Lots of banging. About 100 meter up the road he was pulled over and out his car. As I passed he was shouting at me that he fucked his 4 tyres swerving to avoid me..... ummmm matey, that is called "over taking". He was looking rather unhappy so I carried on as to be honest I do not carry 4 spare BMW tyres in my rucksack. He tried to follow for about 2 seconds before remembering about the tyres.

If I was to sum it up, fuckers and fucked.

I ended up doing a loop via Aboyne and Banchory, plus Cairn O' Mount from both sides.  160km in total.
And holy heck, COM from the south goes straight in at no. 1 in the hardest climb I have ever done.  I've done Bealach na Ba, Great Dun Fell and Glen Quaich and that beats them all.
I'm a good hill climber with several Strava KOMs on steep hills, but I was down to 4 mph in places and was on the verge of climbing off.  
The slight mitigation is that I had already done 60 miles and just done the climb from the north, which itself is pretty tough.  Would love to give it a go starting from the bridge.
I think if you attempt it without the preceding 60 miles you'll think it easier. It's mainly a long unexciting grind until the hairpin where it ramps up bigtime. That section is utterly brutal.
Well last nights bike ride was unusual. I pulled into a secluded layby for a rest and a bite to eat. There was a car there with tinted windows and a running engine. Thought nothing of it, cruised in on my silent bike and had top up meal. Then got up for a pee and noticed two bare foot soles sticking out from the back seat. Everything became clearer almost instantly as I noticed the flabby white arse between them grinding away. I was like lol but eeeewwww.

About an hour later, after it had gotten dark, I heard the usual gunning of an engine behind me. Sounded like he was going wide so no real concern. He had not noticed the central reservation though, someone had wiped out the signs and it was dark. Went over it at x mph what ever x was. Lots of banging. About 100 meter up the road he was pulled over and out his car. As I passed he was shouting at me that he fucked his 4 tyres swerving to avoid me..... ummmm matey, that is called "over taking". He was looking rather unhappy so I carried on as to be honest I do not carry 4 spare BMW tyres in my rucksack. He tried to follow for about 2 seconds before remembering about the tyres.

If I was to sum it up, fuckers and fucked.
That's gold. Absolute gold.

My cousin is getting a new bike and offered me his. It's a hybrid I'm a pretty clueless about them tbh. As anyone who has read my previous posts on this thread I cant do any sort of hill even a tiny one on a bike. I'm currently on a 20 year old mountain bike so I guess things have progressed since then on terms of lightweight and better gears? Also wondering if the seat in the photo would be suitable for a woman? (My mum is quite keen to try cycling again) 

Screenshot_20210109-173724_Chrome.jpg

Depends on what you want it for, it's never going to be a speed machine but it looks like it should get you from A to B and be handle a few lumps and bumps.

Shimano components, even the entry level ones are usually pretty reliable.  I'm not the biggest fan of halfords but they sell a lot of bikes.

Maybe try and pick rides that are easy going and slowly build up, I've been known to push my bike up a few hills too. 

Haven't been on this thread in ages. Got myself a Brompton M6L at the start of summer last year. What a bloody marvellous bit of engineering it is btw. 

Hills are a bit of a drag what with it only having wee tiny wheels, but for zipping about into town and that the thing is absolutely fantastic. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/08/2020 at 18:28, Bairnardo said:

Picked this up for free off Gumtree today by massive coincidence. Took a chance as the owner wasnt sure if it had all the kit. Turned out to be correct the wee computer is missing. Think I can still use it though as the unpowered resistance is still pretty stiff. Might be super boring though.... If anyone know where I can get a computer for it.....

20200818_130841.jpeg

Let me know if you ever need spares.  I have the exact same stting in my shed - however hasnt been used for 4 years

I got a wattbike atom  just over a year ago and it is superb for indoor training.  Must admit was geeting a bit bored with some of the training sessions on the app and decided upon the free 7 day trial for Zwift - thats given training a nice boost - after a couple of days I decided to subscribe (£12.99 per month - will do for Jan/ Feb / March then again next winter) It really is incredibily sophisticated and I have lots to learn about how to get the best out of it.  Only been doing races so far - which have been an eye opener - its a struggle to keep up and I am only entering Cat C (2.5w - 3.2w) but noticing that there are a lot of swicks in these races who should really be in Cat A or B (was in a race last night won by a guy who was averaging 4.5w/kg)

It's populariy is incredible - last night at one stage I noticed there were almost 50,000 cyclists on at the same time.  You could join a race at 3.30am if you wanted to - such is he global participation. I did a fair bit of long distance cycling from 2010 to around 2017 but simply lost interest and put on weight - hoping this will give me the impetus to lose weight and get fitter - and as a result my w/kg should go up a fair bit.

Zwift has calculated my FTP as 246w (from a few races in the past 10 days).  Confident I can get this up as 3 or 4 years ago at the gym I was able to do around 280-290w average for 30 mins...nae getting any younger though I suppose (56)

57 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

Let me know if you ever need spares.  I have the exact same stting in my shed - however hasnt been used for 4 years

I got a wattbike atom  just over a year ago and it is superb for indoor training.  Must admit was geeting a bit bored with some of the training sessions on the app and decided upon the free 7 day trial for Zwift - thats given training a nice boost - after a couple of days I decided to subscribe (£12.99 per month - will do for Jan/ Feb / March then again next winter) It really is incredibily sophisticated and I have lots to learn about how to get the best out of it.  Only been doing races so far - which have been an eye opener - its a struggle to keep up and I am only entering Cat C (2.5w - 3.2w) but noticing that there are a lot of swicks in these races who should really be in Cat A or B (was in a race last night won by a guy who was averaging 4.5w/kg)

It's populariy is incredible - last night at one stage I noticed there were almost 50,000 cyclists on at the same time.  You could join a race at 3.30am if you wanted to - such is he global participation. I did a fair bit of long distance cycling from 2010 to around 2017 but simply lost interest and put on weight - hoping this will give me the impetus to lose weight and get fitter - and as a result my w/kg should go up a fair bit.

Zwift has calculated my FTP as 246w (from a few races in the past 10 days).  Confident I can get this up as 3 or 4 years ago at the gym I was able to do around 280-290w average for 30 mins...nae getting any younger though I suppose (56)

Cheers mate. It works well as it is but obviously no computer. However, I shamefully havent used it at all really since I got it and the bike has been stowed away all winter. As soon as daylight (or close enough) hours allow I will get back to doing my 11km commute by bike to ease myself back in. 

Zwift is fucking brilliant and been a godsend for maintaining fitness during shite winter wear. Thinking of punting my smart trainer and getting the Next Gen Atom.

First outdoor cycle of the year today 23 miles which felt ok despite the cold. The roads have taken a battering since i was last out some massive pot holes have appeared on my usual route would've been off the bike if i hit some of them. Good to be out though beats the bike roller.

13 hours ago, keptie said:

First outdoor cycle of the year today 23 miles which felt ok despite the cold. The roads have taken a battering since i was last out some massive pot holes have appeared on my usual route would've been off the bike if i hit some of them. Good to be out though beats the bike roller.

I haven't been out since just after Xmas. Which roads were particularly bad? I do loads of cycling on the roads around Forfar and Arbroath (in decent weather)

9 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

I haven't been out since just after Xmas. Which roads were particularly bad? I do loads of cycling on the roads around Forfar and Arbroath (in decent weather)

That's where i do a lot of cycling also. The B9128 and around Craichie had some big holes but just in general noticed them more than usual, the hard frosts and wet weather opening up the road cracks.  Yeah roll on the spring makes cycling a lot more pleasant in better weather. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 27/01/2021 at 18:07, keptie said:

Back out today for first time in 4 weeks. 
Parts of Long Dalmahoy Road (NCR 75) are more pot holes than proper surface.