Official P&b Cycling Thread

The Coltbridge Viaduct in Edinburgh is closed again this weekend. Apparently it was to be kept open at weekends as much as possible but this is now the 4th weekend out of the last 5 (IIRC) that the route has been closed. With COVID-19 the number of people walking and cycling along here has grown incredibly so it's pretty ridiculous that more of an effort hasn't been made to keep it open at weekends. 

1 hour ago, NewBornBairn said:

Didn't they close Duke's Pass as well for the same reasons the other week?

It was closed mid morning on Saturday due to dangerous parking on the surrounding roads.  I had cycled over it about an hour before and it was far, far busier than I've ever seen before. 

On 26/07/2020 at 00:45, Lyle Lanley said:

Anyone know of any good routes in the fife area. Thinking of taking my bike on the train and cycle for a few hours in the coming week. 

I quite like the explore section on Strava. Maybe check some of the cycling groups on there in the Fife area and see what rides those folk are doing? 

On 02/07/2020 at 11:46, Funky Nosejob said:

Have decided that July is going to be all about climbing and have set one Alpe d'Huez (1,135m) per week as my target.

This morning's ride took me over 5,100m climbing for July, or just over 4.5 Alpe d'Huez.

Target for August is 500km total distance.

38 minutes ago, Gnash said:

115 miles around Loch Tay and up the Ben Lawers road today.  Cracking route and cracking weather.  I am going to enjoy my beers tonight. 🍺

This is the cycling thread, not the motorcycling thread.

Seriously though thats amazing levels of fitness. 

2 hours ago, bennett said:

This is the cycling thread, not the motorcycling thread.

Seriously though thats amazing levels of fitness. 

One of my bike club buddies stole my thunder my posting a 130 mile ride on Strava today!

Been back on my bike 3 out the last 6 days and feel much better for it after a lazy few weeks. Only for getting to and from work but 11.5k route been getting progressively faster which is good. Managed av speed of 28km/hr this morning. Plenty time to get back out linger runs once schools are back.

Borrowed my Dads spare road bike yesterday as I'm thinking of changing my hybrid for one. Took it on a great ride to Balloch and then Glen Fruin.

Noticeably faster and less comfortable than my heavier bike, but then a lot of that I think is down to saddle shape and tyre size.

The Glen Fruin road is a wee country road that connects the Balloch area to Garelochhead, a couple of steep hills but in the main its through quiet farmland.

On 27/06/2020 at 11:44, Caledonian1 said:

Had a fairly nasty crash yesterday - on a really quiet country / farm road - came to a downhill section with multiple tight corners and skidded on some gravel....went onto the grass verge and lost control....went heid first over handlebars and laned on grass and tarmac.  My head and should took most of the impact.  I am absolutely certain that had I not been wearing a helmet I would have been knocked out (or worse) My head hit the tar with a lot of force and today i have fairly sizeable lump on my forehead and quite extensive bruising.  Took a fair bit of skin off my shoulder too.

I recall the debate on here a few weeks ago about the benefits or not of a helmet - I wear one all the time and would have had serious injuries yesterday had I not worn mine - if I am all bruised and lump on head from the impact whilst wearing one....doesnt bare thinking about

thumbnail_IMG_2457.jpg

Finally back on the bike - been out 5 times in the last week after a 7 week lay-off.  My shoulder is still sore and worst when sleeping or swimming.  To be honest lost quite a bit of confidence and as the weeks went on my enthusiasm decreased.  Forced myself out last weekend and whilst fitness has taken a bit of a hit I dont feel too bad now.

Incidentally, one of the positives of lockdown and associated restrictions has seen a huge increase in the number  of swimmers taking up wild swimming - whether that is lochs, rivers or the sea (I get great pleasure out of all of these)  Has there previously been a thread for open water swimming?

Edited by Caledonian1

Cant remember if I have asked this before but I am asking again anyway.... Can someone talk to me about turbo trainers? I keep looking at sites and their shitty guides about what one is right for you and find myself none the wiser. Bottom line is I am a bang average cyclist who doesn't want to lose it completely during the winter. I don't want to spend a fortune but I want some thing that is good quality and a worthwhile/realistic training tool. Once that is going to give improvement. Lad at work is telling me Elite Direto but at first glance, that's more trainer than I need and more than I want to spend. What does P&B think?

I thought about one for ages before taking the plunge. It arrived, I put it together, I got on, I got off, I put it back in the box, I sold it. Horrible feeling. Better off with an exercise bike or a spinning bike imo.

I thought about one for ages before taking the plunge. It arrived, I put it together, I got on, I got off, I put it back in the box, I sold it. Horrible feeling. Better off with an exercise bike or a spinning bike imo.
Which one did you buy? What didnt you like?

Be more helpful NBB.