Official P&b Cycling Thread

Sustrans b*****ds.   

You are killing our towns and our cities with your thoughtless behaviour.  

f**k you and every job loss through Sustrans belongs to you and your lust to fucking cycle like children.   Grow the f**k up and buy at least a space hopper or a scooter.   You're no longer 5 years old and get a job and a shave and at least steel some body spray.   

Dirty.  Lycra.  mud-clad.  Overdrawn-Mutants.  

I was out on my bike yesterday for a bit.  I bought it last year and really haven't had much chance to use it.  What I've noticed is that the suspension on the front seems very spongy.  When you have to get up off the saddle to peddle a bit going up hill the handle bars are bouncing up and down as you go.

I've noticed that there is a wee dial on top of one of the forks that you can turn up and it's got a counter with a weight on it.  If I turn it up will that make the forks a bit stiffer? (Hi Kenneth).

As you can tell, I don't know anything about bikes.

20 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

I was out on my bike yesterday for a bit.  I bought it last year and really haven't had much chance to use it.  What I've noticed is that the suspension on the front seems very spongy.  When you have to get up off the saddle to peddle a bit going up hill the handle bars are bouncing up and down as you go.

I've noticed that there is a wee dial on top of one of the forks that you can turn up and it's got a counter with a weight on it.  If I turn it up will that make the forks a bit stiffer? (Hi Kenneth).

Is there anything on top of the other fork? A lot of them these days will have a padlock image on them, you turn that to lock the fork in place for climbing up hills. If it's a very basic bike it probably won't have it, but I'd expect it on anything from lower mid-range upwards.

58 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Is there anything on top of the other fork? A lot of them these days will have a padlock image on them, you turn that to lock the fork in place for climbing up hills. If it's a very basic bike it probably won't have it, but I'd expect it on anything from lower mid-range upwards.

I'll have a look.  It wasn't the most expensive thing in the world, think it was about £350 from Decathlon.  I don't cycle very much but fancied getting something to less about on/not be a fat, unfit b*****d. 

22 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

I'll have a look.  It wasn't the most expensive thing in the world, think it was about £350 from Decathlon.  I don't cycle very much but fancied getting something to less about on/not be a fat, unfit b*****d. 

Had a look on the decathlon website, presume it's the same idea as the mtb they are selling at £330 at the moment. In which case, it doesn't have the locking function, but as you thought, if you turn the weight dial it should stiffen it up.

2 hours ago, KnightswoodBear said:

If its a coil sprung fork and not airsprung the dial will be the preload, tightening it should stiffen things up. Might not be by much though. 

all the new cycle lanes and roads closed for cars in the cities is great to see. I love cycling in and out of Glasgow city centre now with better segregation and lanes. A long way to go but its one good thing as far as I can see to come out of the pandemic. 

On 02/07/2020 at 11:46, Funky Nosejob said:

Finally managed my first 50k+ ride on Tuesday to close out June.

Have decided that July is going to be all about climbing and have set one Alpe d'Huez (1,135m) per week as my target.

This morning's ride took me over 2,500m climbing for July, so I'm well on target.

I also made it around my 21 mile, 430m elevation route 7 minutes faster than last weekend, partly due to being slightly fitter and having my playlist aligned, but mostly down to a long overdue chain clean and lube. The latter probably also helped me to finally make it to the top of Kirkgate in Currie without having to drop to 1st gear.

250712009_FourClimbsProfile.jpg.812ca1b45929921ceff7f44112eef875.jpg

Haven’t cycled since Fri. For hours after I cycle my heart is racing faster than normal, so much so that on Fri I couldn’t get to sleep until 7.30am!! On top of that yesterday and today my right foot and calf have been so sore. Gutted as I was on course for my first 100 miles in a week 

Looking for some advice.

My body is out of proportion in that I’ve got a long body and arms compared to my legs making my riding position uncomfortable.  I’ve tried messing about with the saddle height and position and with the handlebar height, all to no avail. 
I’m now considering getting a longer stem to move the handlebars forward. The current stem is 90mm and I’m considering changing it to a 110mm one. 
Has anyone here done this before and are there any pitfalls I need to consider or avoid?

thanks. 

Looking for some advice.
My body is out of proportion in that I’ve got a long body and arms compared to my legs making my riding position uncomfortable.  I’ve tried messing about with the saddle height and position and with the handlebar height, all to no avail. 
I’m now considering getting a longer stem to move the handlebars forward. The current stem is 90mm and I’m considering changing it to a 110mm one. 
Has anyone here done this before and are there any pitfalls I need to consider or avoid?
thanks. 
Tbh you might be better getting a bike fit. I had one done 2 years ago and noticed a considerable difference in comfort and ability to ride linger distances. Not necessarily expensive either. Mine was £70. GCN on YouTube show you how to do your own, though not sure how reliable that would be.

28 minutes ago, Funky Nosejob said:

Looking for some advice.

thanks. 

What Day of the Lords said is ideal, but if you’re not looking for a new bike just now and you don’t run drop bars, bar ends might help. Longer stem will make handling slower. 

46 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

Tbh you might be better getting a bike fit. I had one done 2 years ago and noticed a considerable difference in comfort and ability to ride linger distances. Not necessarily expensive either. Mine was £70. GCN on YouTube show you how to do your own, though not sure how reliable that would be.

Thanks. Most of my tinkering so far has been based on the GCN videos dealing with set ups. I’ve found them really useful, especially the one that identified a major issue with my saddle angle. 

33 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

What Day of the Lords said is ideal, but if you’re not looking for a new bike just now and you don’t run drop bars, bar ends might help. Longer stem will make handling slower. 

Yes, it’s a flat handlebar I’ve got and I hadn’t considered bar ends. They definitely look like an easier fix than my idea.

1 hour ago, Funky Nosejob said:

Looking for some advice.

thanks. 

Don't go for any surgical correction of your body proportions. 🔨🔪🚴‍♀️😏