Official P&b Cycling Thread

16 hours ago, Ingo ohne Flamingo said:

Fucking hell, makes my skint and bruised knees from my incident 2 weeks ago look like a wee fall 🙈. Hope you're alright mate

Cheers, yes, still pretty sore to be honest and sleeping hasn't been easy (washing machine on as I type)

Going to take a week off cycling and have booked my bike for a well needed service today - one thing that needs fixed is the back brakes…..keep staying on - which doesn't make things easy.

Last few years I have done a lot of long-distance open water swimming (a few 10kms...even 12km last year) but my shoulder is not up for that at present.  The bruising is disappearing from my head though (impact under helmet).  Last time I went over the handlebars was almost exactly 10 years ago when just about half way on my Lands End to John O'Groats - knees came off worst there and I was really struggling to walk but thankfully didn't feel much when cycling - and you tend to spend a lot of your time doing that when covering 884 miles in under a week.

I had a wee disaster today on my cycle. Was going along the road (slight camber) in 3rd gear, then dropped to 2nd when the “hill” began, half way up the hill I dropped to 1st and the chain came off! It took a few attempts to get it back on and aside from my hands still being black no harm was done and I did 16 miles after that. Just wondered what could have caused it as I’ve done that route in those gears a few times and not never had a problem? 

49 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I had a wee disaster today on my cycle. Was going along the road (slight camber) in 3rd gear, then dropped to 2nd when the “hill” began, half way up the hill I dropped to 1st and the chain came off! It took a few attempts to get it back on and aside from my hands still being black no harm was done and I did 16 miles after that. Just wondered what could have caused it as I’ve done that route in those gears a few times and not never had a problem? 

I'm assuming your talking about your rear gears.

Check your rear derailleur to make sure that it's level with your top and bottom cassette rings. You can adjust with your high and low screws.

If you've recently had the bike serviced it could just be cable stretch, fixed with slight adjustments to the barrel adjuster.

I've always carried a wee hand gel bottle in my wee tool bag.

The front derailleur can also be adjusted similarly. 

6 minutes ago, bennett said:

I'm assuming your talking about your rear gears.

Check your rear derailleur to make sure that it's level with your top and bottom cassette rings. You can adjust with your high and low screws.

If you've recently had the bike serviced it could just be cable stretch, fixed with slight adjustments to the barrel adjuster.

I've always carried a wee hand gel bottle in my wee tool bag.

The front derailleur can also be adjusted similarly. 

It’s the gears on the right hand handlebar that I work with. I keep the left hand one at 2. Is it bad that I don’t know what derailleurs and barrel adjusters are 😂

i had a bottle of hand santizer with me but my nails are still filthy! 

3 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

It’s the gears on the right hand handlebar that I work with. I keep the left hand one at 2. Is it bad that I don’t know what derailleurs and barrel adjusters are 😂

i had a bottle of hand santizer with me but my nails are still filthy! 

The right hand shifter is for your rear gears. A derailleur is what shifts the gears ( sticky out bit at the back wheel) probably says shimano on it. 

I think there's a cycling club (cycle  ayrshire) on Facebook.  Maybe once restrictions are lifted, joining an easy going club could be handy for you.

53 minutes ago, bennett said:

The right hand shifter is for your rear gears. A derailleur is what shifts the gears ( sticky out bit at the back wheel) probably says shimano on it. 

I think there's a cycling club (cycle  ayrshire) on Facebook.  Maybe once restrictions are lifted, joining an easy going club could be handy for you.

Cheers for that! I know the bit you mean now! 

I’ll  look into that thanks. I’m sure they'd be shocked at my lack of knowledge 😂

On 29/06/2020 at 16:57, keptie said:

Can't say that wearing a helmet has altered the way i ride a bike to when i didn't wear a helmet i certainly don't go out with the mindset that because i' m wearing a helmet i'm gonna take more risks on the road, don't think anyone thinks like that tbh. Do you wear a helmet?

Used to when I was younger. Didn't ride for a while until I got a bike again last year - don't wear one now.

1 hour ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I assume from that description with 3/2/1 you were changing the front gears. Could be that you put your chain at an angle - i.e. front gear closest to the inside and rear gear closest to the outside, and then the extra pressure due to going uphill caused an issue?

1 hour ago, bennett said:

40 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Cheers for that! I know the bit you mean now! 

I’ll  look into that thanks. I’m sure they'd be shocked at my lack of knowledge 😂

I'm in CycleAyrshire https://www.cycleayrshire.co.uk/

Here's the direct link to website. A very varied programme of rides, some easy, some not so. Starting from various points of SW Scotland. DM me if you want more information.

33 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

Used to when I was younger. Didn't ride for a while until I got a bike again last year - don't wear one now.

I assume from that description with 3/2/1 you were changing the front gears. Could be that you put your chain at an angle - i.e. front gear closest to the inside and rear gear closest to the outside, and then the extra pressure due to going uphill caused an issue?

I’m pretty certain the right hand side gears I was using are the rear ones? I’ve done the same cycle a few times and never had an issue. I might just keep it in 3rd or 2nd rather than putting it down to 1st incase the same thing happens again 

Has anyone chucked slick tyres on a mountain bike before and actually noticed any significant difference in effort required? I'm doing about 150 miles a week mainly on the road using the standard knobbly tyres that came with it so I'm wondering if it's worth changing?

1 hour ago, Aidan said:

Has anyone chucked slick tyres on a mountain bike before and actually noticed any significant difference in effort required? I'm doing about 150 miles a week mainly on the road using the standard knobbly tyres that came with it so I'm wondering if it's worth changing?

For that kind of distance, it absolutely is. Just keep your knobbly tyres for when you're ready to head into the wild.

59 minutes ago, Aidan said:

Have previously replaced knobbly tyres on a hybrid that was being used mostly on tarmac. The improvement in ride quality and handling was worth it alone.

Getting right back into riding last couple of weeks after not being able for a couple of years due to work etc. Been riding the MTB about but mostly on the roads. Turns out I need to have abit of a workshop day as the suspension and dropper post are quite sticky.

Orderd some new wheels for the road bike as the rear one was goosed and should get them Wednesday.

Sustrans b*****ds.   

You are killing our towns and our cities with your thoughtless behaviour.  

f**k you and every job loss through Sustrans belongs to you and your lust to fucking cycle like children.   Grow the f**k up and buy at least a space hopper or a scooter.   You're no longer 5 years old and get a job and a shave and at least steel some body spray.   

Dirty.  Lycra.  mud-clad.  Overdrawn-Mutants.