Official P&b Cycling Thread

23 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Finally bought some new pedals and clip in shoes. Can’t wait to topple over at 1mph at my first red light.

Keeling over at traffic lights is a right of passage. 

Been using my single speed track bike a fair bit this week. Had to make a few trips back and forth to Granton so getting back uphill from there is not something my old knees appreciate much. 

Having done this twice I can only advise you avoid having to stop at uphill traffic lights in a big gear.
I need to remember to shift down, and also to unclip a foot as a precautionary measure if I think a stop is likely.

So far, I have had a few incidents of forgetting both.

5 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Finally bought some new pedals and clip in shoes. Can’t wait to topple over at 1mph at my first red light.

👍

Careful for the first 2 or 3 rides, after that it's 2nd nature.

Had a fairly nasty crash yesterday - on a really quiet country / farm road - came to a downhill section with multiple tight corners and skidded on some gravel....went onto the grass verge and lost control....went heid first over handlebars and laned on grass and tarmac.  My head and should took most of the impact.  I am absolutely certain that had I not been wearing a helmet I would have been knocked out (or worse) My head hit the tar with a lot of force and today i have fairly sizeable lump on my forehead and quite extensive bruising.  Took a fair bit of skin off my shoulder too.

I recall the debate on here a few weeks ago about the benefits or not of a helmet - I wear one all the time and would have had serious injuries yesterday had I not worn mine - if I am all bruised and lump on head from the impact whilst wearing one....doesnt bare thinking about

thumbnail_IMG_2457.jpg

51 minutes ago, bennett said:

That's going to sting a bit, is the bike ok?

Yes bike fine - it landed on the grass luckily whilst I hit the tar - bruising on forehead (from underneath helmet...fnarr fnarr) coming out bonnie now.....developed a puncture not long after so would imagine not un-related

After a particularly poor nights sleep last night I was unsure how I'd feel on the bike this morning and wasn't really expecting anything great. Amazingly it was one of my best rides since I started back plenty energy throughout and a decent pace too . Also just made it home before the heavens opened 

9 hours ago, Caledonian1 said:

Had a fairly nasty crash yesterday - on a really quiet country / farm road - came to a downhill section with multiple tight corners and skidded on some gravel....went onto the grass verge and lost control....went heid first over handlebars and laned on grass and tarmac.  My head and should took most of the impact.  I am absolutely certain that had I not been wearing a helmet I would have been knocked out (or worse) My head hit the tar with a lot of force and today i have fairly sizeable lump on my forehead and quite extensive bruising.  Took a fair bit of skin off my shoulder too.

I recall the debate on here a few weeks ago about the benefits or not of a helmet - I wear one all the time and would have had serious injuries yesterday had I not worn mine - if I am all bruised and lump on head from the impact whilst wearing one....doesnt bare thinking about

thumbnail_IMG_2457.jpg

I really must investing an helmet. I feel I'm tempting fate by not wearing one . I've been trying to source one  but local shops here only seem to have kids ones ATM 

Glad you're not badly hurt, hope you can get out again soon.

thumbnail_IMG_2457.jpg.2db28e73b3f78d092a465c81da7fa41b.jpg

On 26/06/2020 at 18:13, die hard doonhamer said:

I very nearly keeled over in the middle of a cross roads, managed to shift down somehow and get away with it though. I've been using SPDs for a couple of months now and am yet to do the falling over sideways. It'll come though.

I managed by stuffing hiking boots into toe clips. The old Kona ones where the cage comes halfway to your ankle, so it should have occurred to me that cramming my boots into the things wasn’t an overly bright idea. 

On 27/06/2020 at 11:44, Caledonian1 said:

Suppose the question is, if you didn't have a helmet on then perhaps you may be less likely to have had the crash - you might take fewer risks or ride in a different way without a helmet, and also drivers may be more likely to close pass you if you're all geared up and not wearing normal clothes.

Then there's plenty of people that you see, especially kids, who wear helmets that would be absolutely no use at protecting them as it's too far up their forehead or the strap is too slack.

23 hours ago, Ginaro said:

Suppose the question is, if you didn't have a helmet on then perhaps you may be less likely to have had the crash - you might take fewer risks or ride in a different way without a helmet, and also drivers may be more likely to close pass you if you're all geared up and not wearing normal clothes.

Then there's plenty of people that you see, especially kids, who wear helmets that would be absolutely no use at protecting them as it's too far up their forehead or the strap is too slack.

Can't say that wearing a helmet has altered the way i ride a bike to when i didn't wear a helmet i certainly don't go out with the mindset that because i' m wearing a helmet i'm gonna take more risks on the road, don't think anyone thinks like that tbh. Do you wear a helmet?

On 27/06/2020 at 11:44, Caledonian1 said:

thumbnail_IMG_2457.jpg

Fucking hell, makes my skint and bruised knees from my incident 2 weeks ago look like a wee fall 🙈. Hope you're alright mate