Official P&b Cycling Thread

One thing I would say about that 320 mile ride is that the total calories are surely nonsense. Unless he’s 25 stone and did it on a penny farthing. 
Its probably not far off tbh. I did a 207 mile ride a year ago and burned 8500 ish averaging about 16mph. 320 miles at 19mph could probably achieve that level of calorie burn.

11 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

One thing I would say about that 320 mile ride is that the total calories are surely nonsense. Unless he’s 25 stone and did it on a penny farthing. 

I'm currently tracking my rides using a Garmin Forerunner 15 that I was given as a present a few years ago. It automatically assumes that everything it's tracking is running (clue is in the name) and calculates the calories accordingly. Even after I've uploaded the details and amended the activity type, it resolutely sticks to the original calorie count. Doesn't bother me as I'm cycling for fitness rather than weight loss. As an example, here's this morning's effort still showing an unrealistic calorie burn of 3,075 in under 2 hours.1170087706_BikeRide2020-06-22.jpg.b92aabb15a9ebeac641b19022eb83811.jpg

Edit to add: - This website, https://keisan.casio.com/exec/system/1350958587 , suggests 1,250 calories is a more accurate value.

Edited by Funky Nosejob

I'm currently tracking my rides using a Garmin Forerunner 15 that I was given as a present a few years ago. It automatically assumes that everything it's tracking is running (clue is in the name) and calculates the calories accordingly. Even after I've uploaded the details and amended the activity type, it resolutely sticks to the original calorie count. Doesn't bother me as I'm cycling for fitness rather than weight loss. As an example, here's this morning's effort still showing an unrealistic calorie burn of 3,075 in under 2 hours.1170087706_BikeRide2020-06-22.jpg.b92aabb15a9ebeac641b19022eb83811.jpg
Edit to add: - This website, https://keisan.casio.com/exec/system/1350958587 , suggests 1,250 calories is a more accurate value.
That's quite interesting, the expected burn for 60 miles is fairly close to what Wahoo gives me after a ride.

14 hours ago, Shotgun said:

I'm not sure if this is the best thread for this. It's more of a PTTGOYN, although from a certain perspective, it could even be a RTBC.

Anyway. All set for a mountain bike ride this morning, only to find a flat back tyre. Not a big deal in itself except

a) I know it was fine yesterday and hasn't been out of the shed since and
b) Getting the tyres off the rims of this particular bike is a you-know-what.

30 minutes and lots of bad language later, I finally had the thing off and...couldn't find a puncture anywhere. Put it all back together and as of now, 5 hours later, it still has the same pressure I pumped it up to. Nothing wrong with it.

If I was a less trusting husband I would suspect sabotage from a certain dweller-of-this-house who wanted me to fix a leaky tap in the bathroom. 

Hopefully you have already come to this conclusion, but in future attempt to pump the tyre up before you take everything apart.  A 30 second check that could save you 5 hours!

I haven’t been out cycling since Fri as it’s been so windy/rainy and I’m a fair weather cyclist! I’ve missed it! On the subject of trackers, I use Map My Ride and chose the road cycling option as I stick to roads, there’s also a mountain bike option but whilst I use a mountain bike I go nowhere near hills/rough terrain. Just wondered if my stats will be recording correctly? 

11 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I haven’t been out cycling since Fri as it’s been so windy/rainy and I’m a fair weather cyclist! I’ve missed it! On the subject of trackers, I use Map My Ride and chose the road cycling option as I stick to roads, there’s also a mountain bike option but whilst I use a mountain bike I go nowhere near hills/rough terrain. Just wondered if my stats will be recording correctly? 

No reason why stats wouldn't record properly - its the app on your phone that is recording movement - nothing to do with the bike you are on.  Which is why you often see a KOM on Strava suggesting the "rider" covered a segment at an average of 73mph - when they have obviously left the app running whilst travelling at speed in their car. 

16 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

No reason why stats wouldn't record properly - its the app on your phone that is recording movement - nothing to do with the bike you are on.  Which is why you often see a KOM on Strava suggesting the "rider" covered a segment at an average of 73mph - when they have obviously left the app running whilst travelling at speed in their car. 

Yeah i thought that. I knew the mileage would be correct but I wasn’t sure if the calories burned would be accurate! 

Another longest effort for me this morning. Went out with my mum, dad and brother (my mum has an e-bike, the rest of us on gravel bikes), 20 miles in an hour and a half with segment PBs on every segment I'd done before other than one. Much easier to go a bit quicker when riding in a group.

Edited by die hard doonhamer

2 hours ago, Gnash said:

Hopefully you have already come to this conclusion, but in future attempt to pump the tyre up before you take everything apart.  A 30 second check that could save you 5 hours!

I hear you, and it's possible my brain simply took me to the worst possible scenario. (It does that.) I've just never experienced a tyre going from fine to flat overnight without it either having been a puncture or someone letting my tyres down. Despite intense interrogation, the Light of my Life still denies any involvement so I'm now thinking it was the dog. 

1 hour ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Yeah i thought that. I knew the mileage would be correct but I wasn’t sure if the calories burned would be accurate! 

Bear in mind that apps tend not to take bike weight into account. Doing the same ride in the same time on a properly set up 7.5kg road bike will burn fewer calories than doing it on a properly set up 15kg mountain bike.

15 hours ago, Shotgun said:

I hear you, and it's possible my brain simply took me to the worst possible scenario. (It does that.) I've just never experienced a tyre going from fine to flat overnight without it either having been a puncture or someone letting my tyres down. Despite intense interrogation, the Light of my Life still denies any involvement so I'm now thinking it was the dog. 

Slow puncture?

18 hours ago, Shotgun said:

A dodgy valve?

Etap Loch Ness is not happening in September, back as usual in April 2021 they hope.
I didn't bother entering this years (fortunately), probably will next year. It's a cracking event and about the only one I'd pay good money for now.

Guest bernardblack

My bike is arriving on Friday so just working on some kit etc.

Is there a best way to track distances travelled etc? Or is it just best to use an app?

If you use an app do you have to attach your phone to your bike or can you have it in your pocket?

Rookie questions I know...

52 minutes ago, bernardblack said:

My bike is arriving on Friday so just working on some kit etc.

Is there a best way to track distances travelled etc? Or is it just best to use an app?

If you use an app do you have to attach your phone to your bike or can you have it in your pocket?

Rookie questions I know...

Most phone apps will work with your phone locked and in your pocket. I use the quite basic MapMyRide where all you need to do is click a button when you start and finish.

Guest bernardblack
Most phone apps will work with your phone locked and in your pocket. I use the quite basic MapMyRide where all you need to do is click a button when you start and finish.

Brilliant, thanks!