Official P&b Cycling Thread

I cant link it for definite but I have noticed since I started cycling again that I’m struggling to sleep until 3am at the earliest. It may be coincidence, who knows. I went out earlier today (1pm) and I don’t feel tired yet so it looks like another night of being awake until the wee small hours [emoji20]
I try not to exercise in the evenings as it takes a while to come down off it for me and even if I feel tired Inwill struggle to fall over.

12 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I cant link it for definite but I have noticed since I started cycling again that I’m struggling to sleep until 3am at the earliest. It may be coincidence, who knows. I went out earlier today (1pm) and I don’t feel tired yet so it looks like another night of being awake until the wee small hours 😞

Is it possibly down to something you're eating or drinking as part of your exercise/recovery regime? Most "sports" drinks will have caffeine in them as does chocolate and some pain relief medicaton.  https://www.sleep.org/articles/foods-with-caffeine/

Edit to add:

Just seen an article on the same website that discusses when best to exercise - https://www.sleep.org/articles/does-exercise-help-or-hurt-sleep/

Edited by Funky Nosejob

5 hours ago, Bairnardo said:
12 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:
I cant link it for definite but I have noticed since I started cycling again that I’m struggling to sleep until 3am at the earliest. It may be coincidence, who knows. I went out earlier today (1pm) and I don’t feel tired yet so it looks like another night of being awake until the wee small hours emoji20.png

I try not to exercise in the evenings as it takes a while to come down off it for me and even if I feel tired Inwill struggle to fall over.

Yeah same. My heart rate is still increased even hours after exercising

18 minutes ago, Funky Nosejob said:

Is it possibly down to something you're eating or drinking as part of your exercise/recovery regime? Most "sports" drinks will have caffeine in them as does chocolate and some pain relief medicaton.  https://www.sleep.org/articles/foods-with-caffeine/

Edit to add:

Just seen an article on the same website that discusses when best to exercise - https://www.sleep.org/articles/does-exercise-help-or-hurt-sleep/

I usually just drink water when I’m out cycling and back home, sometimes just a sugar free soft drink. Cheers for the link, I’ll check it out 👍

On 19/06/2020 at 12:19, Thereisalight.. said:

This may seem a silly question but what’s the best time to cycle? I’ve been going out either in the afternoon, or more frequently in the evening, usually between 6-8. I’ve notice for the last week or so I haven’t been able to sleep until 4am 😞 just wondered if I’m maybe going out too late?

We are approaching solstice. In Scotland that means the Sun goes down very late. Also once you get into a habit of falling asleep at a certain time your body goes with that. Two hours after a cycle you can usually sleep. Even pretty intense exercise like weight lifting can be done a couple of hours before sleep. Id look at other aspects of your daily life first. 

I was a very serious insomniac so I know a lot about sleep and the challenges of getting there. 

2 hours ago, dorlomin said:

We are approaching solstice. In Scotland that means the Sun goes down very late. Also once you get into a habit of falling asleep at a certain time your body goes with that. Two hours after a cycle you can usually sleep. Even pretty intense exercise like weight lifting can be done a couple of hours before sleep. Id look at other aspects of your daily life first. 

I was a very serious insomniac so I know a lot about sleep and the challenges of getting there. 

Cheers for that. I really don’t know what else could be making me so “hyped” that I can’t wind down and sleep. I hate it 

it was very windy here today so I didn’t go out on my bike as I find it too much of a struggle in the wind. I’ll see what that does to the sleep pattern

1 hour ago, Gnash said:

I know the guy that did that, stole a couple of my KOMs. 😠

It's a incredible ride, personally I would have chosen a more interesting route.

I think it was more about the mileage total rather than the scenery he was interested in tbh 

I'm not sure if this is the best thread for this. It's more of a PTTGOYN, although from a certain perspective, it could even be a RTBC.

Anyway. All set for a mountain bike ride this morning, only to find a flat back tyre. Not a big deal in itself except

a) I know it was fine yesterday and hasn't been out of the shed since and
b) Getting the tyres off the rims of this particular bike is a you-know-what.

30 minutes and lots of bad language later, I finally had the thing off and...couldn't find a puncture anywhere. Put it all back together and as of now, 5 hours later, it still has the same pressure I pumped it up to. Nothing wrong with it.

If I was a less trusting husband I would suspect sabotage from a certain dweller-of-this-house who wanted me to fix a leaky tap in the bathroom. 

3 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:

That is bonkers and very impressive. 17 hours or so in the saddle - wow!

Four or Five years ago I did 425km (265 miles) in a day - was the UK National 400 Audax starting and finishing in Dingwall ( over 5000m climbing)  Was much fitter then but still took a lot out of me.  Today I did my longest ride in 3 years......a measly 38 miles......just fell out of love with cycling (in fact my total mileage for 2019 was 8.5) but the last couple of months I have regained some enthusiasm and hopeful of keeping it up for a while

One thing I would say about that 320 mile ride is that the total calories are surely nonsense. Unless he’s 25 stone and did it on a penny farthing. 
Its probably not far off tbh. I did a 207 mile ride a year ago and burned 8500 ish averaging about 16mph. 320 miles at 19mph could probably achieve that level of calorie burn.

11 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

One thing I would say about that 320 mile ride is that the total calories are surely nonsense. Unless he’s 25 stone and did it on a penny farthing. 

I'm currently tracking my rides using a Garmin Forerunner 15 that I was given as a present a few years ago. It automatically assumes that everything it's tracking is running (clue is in the name) and calculates the calories accordingly. Even after I've uploaded the details and amended the activity type, it resolutely sticks to the original calorie count. Doesn't bother me as I'm cycling for fitness rather than weight loss. As an example, here's this morning's effort still showing an unrealistic calorie burn of 3,075 in under 2 hours.1170087706_BikeRide2020-06-22.jpg.b92aabb15a9ebeac641b19022eb83811.jpg

Edit to add: - This website, https://keisan.casio.com/exec/system/1350958587 , suggests 1,250 calories is a more accurate value.

Edited by Funky Nosejob

I'm currently tracking my rides using a Garmin Forerunner 15 that I was given as a present a few years ago. It automatically assumes that everything it's tracking is running (clue is in the name) and calculates the calories accordingly. Even after I've uploaded the details and amended the activity type, it resolutely sticks to the original calorie count. Doesn't bother me as I'm cycling for fitness rather than weight loss. As an example, here's this morning's effort still showing an unrealistic calorie burn of 3,075 in under 2 hours.1170087706_BikeRide2020-06-22.jpg.b92aabb15a9ebeac641b19022eb83811.jpg
Edit to add: - This website, https://keisan.casio.com/exec/system/1350958587 , suggests 1,250 calories is a more accurate value.
That's quite interesting, the expected burn for 60 miles is fairly close to what Wahoo gives me after a ride.