Official P&b Cycling Thread

19 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Is there a specific arguement against wearing a helmet or folk just choosing not to for comfort.

Had no idea it was an emotive subject tbh.

Personally, I choose to wear one. I've heard it argued that the discomfort is a distraction, that they can impair view but mostly just that they don't serve much function. Biggest drawback for me is the sweat, soaking the straps.

Personally, I choose to wear one. I've heard it argued that the discomfort is a distraction, that they can impair view but mostly just that they don't serve much function. Biggest drawback for me is the sweat, soaking the straps.
I honestly had never considered not wearing one. The idea of coming off at speed and my unprotected napper hitting to deck fills me with horror.

I dont have an issue with the right to choose and would listen to folks reasons not to. Like I say, I just never knew there was a debate.

8 hours ago, Gnash said:

Proper cycling gear helps people ride faster, in more comfort and with specific places to keep the other gear you need to take on a long ride.  Why do you think that people who wear it are wankers?

I encourage people to cycle no matter their level of ability or clothing choices.

It's just an expression. I wasn't meaning that anyone who wears proper cycling kit is a w****r (I do so myself, so that would be awkward 🙂). I was more referring to the people who think the clothes maketh the cyclist and look down on those who don't have all the gear. @Thereisalight.. had stated he felt like a loser when being passed by people in full kit, and I was just letting him know that wasn't necessary. Same as your last sentence. 👍

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Is there a specific arguement against wearing a helmet or folk just choosing not to for comfort.

Had no idea it was an emotive subject tbh.

I suspect a large part of it comes from the "Don't tell me what to do!" mentality but yes, some people find them uncomfortable, particularly in hot weather. I've heard arguments that it puts people off cycling by making it seem like an extreme sport requiring safety gear. Also, that people might be less inclined to commute / ride to school if they're then stuck carrying a helmet round all day, women/girls don't want their hair messed up etc. For me though, the biggest concern is that some people see them as a panacea, which will make them invincible by protecting their head in any accident. They won't. They aren't engineered to. As we know, if you look hard enough, you can find a study that tells you whatever you wish to hear but some show an increase in the danger of neck injuries when wearing a helmet and there's little indication that mandatory use decreases problems. There's also a case that it distracts from the bigger issue of improving cycling safety via driver education, bike lanes and a cultural shift away from the car first mentality.

This article from The Grauniad does a good job of presenting both sides of the debate.

The big bike helmet debate

As I said, I usually wear one. Your head, your safety, your choice. 

1 hour ago, Ingo ohne Flamingo said:

This was my effort this morning. Stuck to cycle paths on the Fife side to pretty much Rosyth, should've stuck to the roads as it would've been faster. 

On the way back however I managed some cracking speeds aided by a tailwind. 

Legs are still numb 😂

Screenshot_20200606_224837_com.strava.thumb.jpg.5cf9ddc16097677f21bd70270de24606.jpg

It looks a good route! Kudos for going that distance. Makes my 12 miles tonight seem childlike 😂

17 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

How do you record the miles you’re doing? I know there’s apps for it but I don’t have space on my phone for any more apps. Is there any other way? 

Get a cycle computer, just attach to your bike along with a magnet on your front wheel simple to assemble it will record your distance, speed and miles logged and a few  other things and relatively cheap about £25 I've  got a cateye velo wireless, as long as you put in the correct wheel size it is very accurate.

9 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

It looks a good route! Kudos for going that distance. Makes my 12 miles tonight seem childlike 😂

Aye it was quite enjoyable. The 3 hours seemed to go by pretty quickly. 

I've signed up to the 100km ride challenge on Strava for the month of June so hopefully I manage this. Going out on a 26km run today which takes me 1 hour and that'll be me past my 150km weekly target. 

When I started going on my bike in mid March I was doing a 18km ride and was blowing out my arse. Gradually extended my routes, going out every 2nd day before going out almost every day. Losing the weight quick enough and feeling much fitter. 

3 hours ago, Ingo ohne Flamingo said:

Aye it was quite enjoyable. The 3 hours seemed to go by pretty quickly. 

I've signed up to the 100km ride challenge on Strava for the month of June so hopefully I manage this. Going out on a 26km run today which takes me 1 hour and that'll be me past my 150km weekly target. 

When I started going on my bike in mid March I was doing a 18km ride and was blowing out my arse. Gradually extended my routes, going out every 2nd day before going out almost every day. Losing the weight quick enough and feeling much fitter. 

That’s great. I’m pretty exhausted after about 10 miles but hopefully the more I do it the easier it will get 👍

1 hour ago, 1nickydevlin said:

You tried that route yet .?

Not yet, hopefully soon! Is the path at Maybole Road signposted? 

6 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

That’s great. I’m pretty exhausted after about 10 miles but hopefully the more I do it the easier it will get 👍

Not yet, hopefully soon! Is the path at Maybole Road signposted? 

It is at the start of route .no signposts directing you too route start 

On 05/06/2020 at 12:27, Thereisalight.. said:

Further to my post above, do all you guys wear the cycling gear when you’re out? I wear jeans and trainers and then I get the “Team Sky” type cyclists bombing past me and I feel a bit of a loser 

Aye, got clipless pedals, find they make going up hills easier. 

Wear bib shorts because I'm a right big girls blouse when it comes to my Gooch feeling violated after a long cycle. 

Got a cycling top that cost 6 quid from decathlon because I like the back pockets. Got one that's plain black and one that's white. 

Absolutely no judgement from me on what anyone wears when they cycle, as long as your comfortable and enjoying yourself batter on, I use to think wearing the gear made you look a dick bit it's all got a purpose. 

On 05/06/2020 at 19:07, Thereisalight.. said:

Are they not that protective then? The one I have is basically polystyrene with a plastic covering and I did wonder how much “good” it would actually do if I was to have a fall 

Better than not having one isn't it? 

I don't get the argument at all for not wearing one, it's not going to do you any harm in a crash, but it might save you allot of hurt. 

On 04/06/2020 at 00:07, Thereisalight.. said:

I’ve never tried a road bike, can anyone explain the differences between that and a bog standard MTB. I go on main roads near where I live and I feel every single bump in the road and it’s quite “juddery”, is it the same on a road bike? 

Road bikes go faster than a Kia Ceed and are also less embarrassing to be associated with 

1 hour ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I did 20 miles today. The most I’ve done in over 5 years! Albeit I wasn’t going at any great pace and it took about 3 hours 😂 I enjoyed it, Maidens to Girvan, then back again and around Turnberry Lighthouse

I'm an experienced, geriatric, Ayrshire cyclist. But I, personally, wouldn't choose to cycle the A77 from Turnberry to Girvan. I'd go up Drumdow Road and over the minor roads of the lands of Turnberry. Better views and avoids the fast traffic.