Official P&b Cycling Thread

1 hour ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Are they not that protective then? The one I have is basically polystyrene with a plastic covering and I did wonder how much “good” it would actually do if I was to have a fall 

Correctly fitted and worn, they do confer some protection against minor trauma. Spreading the impact force over a greater surface area is certainly beneficial. 

17 minutes ago, 1nickydevlin said:

Just bought a bike last month .the first time I have rode a bike since I was a kid .20 years since I was last on one and absolutely loving it .and I made sure I bought a helmet too.so many good places too cycle round ayr .

Where do you recommend? Bare in mind I can’t cycle uphill 😂

14 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Old railway line from maybole road too greenan castle then along the sea front too the pier .especially on a sunny evening just as the sun sets over Arran.some might disagree but the sunset in South Ayrshire has too be one of the best in Britain. 

18 minutes ago, Bold Rover said:

You'll find that Ayrshire is hilly!

Some parts of south Ayrshire are not too bad 😊

3 minutes ago, 1nickydevlin said:

Old railway line from maybole road too greenan castle then along the sea front too the pier .especially on a sunny evening just as the sun sets over Arran.some might disagree but the sunset in South Ayrshire has too be one of the best in Britain. 

That sounds a good route. Whereabouts in Maybole Road is the old railway line? Near the chippy/Tesco’s? Totally agree about the sunset 

1 minute ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Some parts of south Ayrshire are not too bad 😊

That sounds a good route. Whereabouts in Maybole Road is the old railway line? Near the chippy/Tesco’s? Totally agree about the sunset 

If your heading out maybole road from town past Tesco keep heading just before you go onto by-pass it's on the right. It's a cycle path all the way too greenan .relatively flat aswell lol

13 minutes ago, 1nickydevlin said:

If your heading out maybole road from town past Tesco keep heading just before you go onto by-pass it's on the right. It's a cycle path all the way too greenan .relatively flat aswell lol

Even better then 😂 I’ll have a look next time I’m in the vicinity in the car just to get my barrings before I set off on public transport with the bike 

2 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Get working on the hills. Ayrshire is wonderful for cycling but the best bits are the rewards of views for climbing the hills. Start with the low ones above Prestwick, over to East Ayrshire. Then graduate to the Alps in the South.

42 minutes ago, Bold Rover said:

Get working on the hills. Ayrshire is wonderful for cycling but the best bits are the rewards of views for climbing the hills. Start with the low ones above Prestwick, over to East Ayrshire. Then graduate to the Alps in the South.

I really should but I just don’t have the power in my legs. Ironic really as I do a lot of hill walking! 

On 04/06/2020 at 14:01, Ingo ohne Flamingo said:

Also curious to see what bikes people have? I'm currently still jumping about in a 300 quid Carrera Subway One rigid Hybrid which has been great for me, got it serviced yesterday so I'm in no rush to change it yet but I'll likely be giving it to my son at some point and get myself something better. Only last week I done a 55km run out in it in 1h 59mins and 59secs! average speed of 27.5km so I get some good speed out of it but I'm hoping that something a bit lighter with a better gear ratio might let me get some higher speeds.

Talking of average speeds, according to Strava I've clocked the fastest time between Bonnybridge lifting bridge and the Kelpies this year 😂

I’m using either my mountain bike, a Merida Big 9 a bit more these days or my good road is a Cannondale SuperSix with Ultegra Di2 and I’ve got a lovely set of Campagnolo Bullets on them. I’m not spending any more on wheels in case they are damaged due to the road surface conditions.

Seeing the attire chat. Never understood why people would jump about wearing team sky gear? Maybe the same way football fans wear their shirts so I've probably answered my own question 🙈

I go with shorts and t-shirt or if its cooler or wet I'll chuck on a thin rain jacket thag easily packs into my frame bag. 

No interest in this lycra business though I've accepted I need to get padded shorts! 

Only managed 57km this week so I need to up the ante this weekend. Looking at doing Larbert to Culross to the Forth road bridge to Bo'ness to Grangemouth to Larbert. Think it's around 70km, might give that a bash tomorrow. Hopefully the wind calms down a bit though. 

As a point of clarification, the chamois in bike shorts is for sweat absorption, not padding. On longer rides they're infinitely more pleasant but if you're just going for a short jaunt, then street clothes or anything comfortable is just fine.

As for helmets; there is probably no more divisive issue in the sport, to the point where the moderators of some cycling forums lock threads on them as soon as they start. Many people believe you "must" wear a helmet any time you plant your bum on a saddle, to the point of being aggressive to anyone who doesn't. Others acknowledge that an inch or so of polystyrene is not going to give you superpowers and protect you in all circumstances. Amsterdam and Copenhagen being two often cited examples of people getting by just fine without them. There's even evidence that motorists give cyclists more room when they're 'not' wearing helmets. If you're in a low speed, low impact crash though - mishandling the unclip from a pedal at the lights for example, the helmet will do the job it's designed to do. All that said; I almost always wear one because Mrs Shotgun wants me to and I'm all about choosing my battles. 😀

Then when it comes to the full-kit wankers, cycling, like many hobbies does tend to attract the snob. They're comparatively few though so enjoy your ride and don't pay them any attention.

12 hours ago, Bold Rover said:

I wear a helmet but the evidence of benefit is arguable, and argued. I know some experienced, expert cyclists who decline to wear one, after carefully considering the debate.

I wear a helmet.  I was in a crash 18 months ago where I went down on my head and the helmet cracked.  Rather the helmet than my skull. 

That said, everyone needs to make their own choice and I don't criticise anyone who doesn't.

4 hours ago, Shotgun said:

Then when it comes to the full-kit wankers, cycling, like many hobbies does tend to attract the snob. They're comparatively few though so enjoy your ride and don't pay them any attention.

Proper cycling gear helps people ride faster, in more comfort and with specific places to keep the other gear you need to take on a long ride.  Why do you think that people who wear it are wankers?

I encourage people to cycle no matter their level of ability or clothing choices.

Never realised there was any debate on the use of helmets! Because I'm doing speeds of up to 55km/h (obviously downhill) and averaging speeds of 24km/h to 28km/h on my routes plus sharing roads with motorists it makes more sense to wear a helmet. 

In saying that, when I was in Malmö and Copenhagen last year I cycled around without a helmet but there I was doing low speeds and cycling on all the cycle paths. Also would've been the only one with a helmet on 😂

Re attire. We've agreed that proper cycle shorts are required. I also wear an inexpensive cycle shirt. They are lightweight and comfortable with the purposeful rear pockets and, most importantly, wick away the sweat. For the winter, I wear an inexpensive under base layer - for heat and, again, moisture release. I have a couple of rain and wind resistant over jackets, again from the bargain basement on Amazon or from Aldi. Not expensive advertising gear but it does make cycling more comfortable.