Official P&b Cycling Thread

I did 40 road miles on the hybrid yesterday to Dingwall and back and another 20 miles on the MTB today along the canal to Loch Ness.

My back and hips were in agony after about 30 miles of my ride yesterday, is this down to hybrids not being suitable for that length of ride or me being a fat b*****d?

Try a couple of shorter rides and see how you feel, then try going a wee bit further and so on....

I usually do around 2 to 3 hours on the bike (hybrid) now but I started off with around 30 mins and worked up. Though I tend to do the cycling equivalent of strolling.

I'm also cycling a hybrid (no suspension). Started off in March doing a 16km circuit. Increased it bit by bit doing a ride every 2nd day. Got to 26km before I started going for linger journeys, mixing it up a wee bit. Out almost every day now. 1h 45mins today (45km). Definitely taking a rest day tomorrow! Screenshot_20200531_163117_com.strava.thumb.jpg.4034795caba1be524d8a9e2c2504380a.jpg

Big ride today (Kenneth Williams incoming).  118km (73 miles), 1666m  of climb.  For those that cycle north of Glasgow, I did Dukes, Top of the World from Arnprior, Crow, then cheeky Tak to finish.  Never before has the 18% gradient on Tak felt so hard, I was totally done.

Restorative barbecue tonight though. 

4 hours ago, Gnash said:

Big ride today (Kenneth Williams incoming).  118km (73 miles), 1666m  of climb.  For those that cycle north of Glasgow, I did Dukes, Top of the World from Arnprior, Crow, then cheeky Tak to finish.  Never before has the 18% gradient on Tak felt so hard, I was totally done.

Restorative barbecue tonight though. 

That’s a cracking run with some good climbs 

10 hours ago, Unleash The Nade said:

That’s a cracking run with some good climbs 

Yes, probably better done the opposite way round or on a day with a westerly wind.

On 05/05/2020 at 21:51, die hard doonhamer said:

First ride using SPDs today, and I didn't fall over while clipped in, so I'll take that as a win. A short 15k in a slow 46 minutes, and my back was pretty sore at the end of it. Thinking of getting a new bike, the Genesis Croix De Fer 10 looks like the favourite at the moment.

Just ordered my new bike, talked myself in to going for the 20 instead of the 10.

genesis-croix-de-fer-20-alt-2020-p51307-117743_medium.jpg.686321b2a772b12d689afbde8f473713.jpg

😍

Bike shop I've ordered from are taking a week to build things at the moment, so will have it this time next week 😀

I’ve done 174 miles in the last week, really starting to feel a lot fitter. Completed 527 miles in May which I’m really pleased with.

Just, in the last day or 2, switched to a proper road bike from a gravel bike and the difference is mad. Absolutely in love with the full out road biking experience

10 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

Went out for my 2nd 100km in 3 days. If only I'd checked the wind direction forecast again this morning emoji23.png Ended up doing miles 25-53 into a fucking headwind. #seething

The wind was a bit of a b*****d yesterday and did a complete 180 after 11 ish 

I was clearing out the hut yesterday and found my old bike. Haven’t been on it for 5 years. I took it to the bike place to get “roadworthy” and I collect it this afternoon. I’m buzzing! It’s about 20 years old and a big standard mountain bike. What out me off last time was I kept getting punctures every other week and also I pfennig never really understood how the gears work 

2 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I was clearing out the hut yesterday and found my old bike. Haven’t been on it for 5 years. I took it to the bike place to get “roadworthy” and I collect it this afternoon. I’m buzzing! It’s about 20 years old and a big standard mountain bike. What out me off last time was I kept getting punctures every other week and also I pfennig never really understood how the gears work 

Low gears, the lower numbers on your shifters for easier pedalling/going up hills but isn't very fast.

High gears, higher numbers on the shifters for more speed on flat ground but needs more effort.

I tend to just use around 4 gears myself.

Edit. You can linings to put in your tyre to protect against punctures,  as well as better quality tyres. Also try to avoid glass and thorns. 

Edited by bennett

1 hour ago, bennett said:

Low gears, the lower numbers on your shifters for easier pedalling/going up hills but isn't very fast.

High gears, higher numbers on the shifters for more speed on flat ground but needs more effort.

I tend to just use around 4 gears myself.

Edit. You can linings to put in your tyre to protect against punctures,  as well as better quality tyres. Also try to avoid glass and thorns. 

Cheers for that. Any idea what the gear shifter on the left hand side is? (I think it's only numbered 1-3). 

I got the bike back and went 4 miles and I felt every uneven surface on the road. It made me paranoid of a puncture. The guy said to keep the tyres well inflated to help prevent punctures. Will a normal "fitba pump" suffice for that? 

11 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Cheers for that. Any idea what the gear shifter on the left hand side is? (I think it's only numbered 1-3). 

I got the bike back and went 4 miles and I felt every uneven surface on the road. It made me paranoid of a puncture. The guy said to keep the tyres well inflated to help prevent punctures. Will a normal "fitba pump" suffice for that? 

Left hand side is the front chainset (the gears attached to your pedals). Just experiment with them, but general rule of thumb is to use both if you're looking for a gear (ie don't put youself in 1 on the front and the highest on the back, or 3 on the font and 1 on the back. Use the middle ring and find it there).

Eta: re pumps, I have 2, I have track pump I keep at home and a smaller hand pump that I attach to my bike frame. The smaller pump should suffice on a mountain bike as you don't need to get them up to a massive pressure.

Edited by die hard doonhamer

12 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

That's your chainrings at the pedals. 1 is the easiest/uphill and 3 is your hardest to pedal/faster.  I usually just use the 2nd and 3rd, 3rd on decent roads and you  can use the right hand selector  to make adjustments - easier or harder. 

If it's a mountain bike it'll be a car type valve.

If the bikes rigid you will feel every wee bump in the road.

Edited by bennett

1 hour ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Left hand side is the front chainset (the gears attached to your pedals). Just experiment with them, but general rule of thumb is to use both if you're looking for a gear (ie don't put youself in 1 on the front and the highest on the back, or 3 on the font and 1 on the back. Use the middle ring and find it there).

Eta: re pumps, I have 2, I have track pump I keep at home and a smaller hand pump that I attach to my bike frame. The smaller pump should suffice on a mountain bike as you don't need to get them up to a massive pressure.

How often would you recommend inflating the tyres I found im just using the hand pump ?