Official P&b Cycling Thread

2 hours ago, bennett said:

They're meant to protect the spokes,  don't see the harm in keeping them on.

1 hour ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Yeah, if you don't have access to a cassette removal tool, then you're just as well leaving it on.

It was very much tongue in cheek... 

I went out tonight after w full shift at work and wasn’t expecting much. Really strong headwind heading west but a boy pulled out in front of me as I crossed the new forth bridge flyover heading towards Newton and took off up the hill. Thought I’d try cling onto the back of him for as long as I could as he was clipped in, thinner than me and on a proper road bike. It turned out we were doing the exact same route and I was sat right in behind him the whole way to Linlinthow, then all the way back through Kirkliston to Miller & Carter where he peeled off and I continued on up Ferry Road. Got home and I’d averaged my quickest ever speed of 16.8mph over 35 miles. Absolutely buzzing with that. Nearly 300 miles completed out of the 500 miles I want to do in May.

18 hours ago, stu_mfc said:

They look shit and don't serve any real purpose, don't think i've ever shifted into a wheel.... First job on a new bike is to remove that and the reflectors!

I left mine on, largely through laziness i have to admit. The wheel reflectors were binned immediately though

22 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

Brilliant effort that. I'd shifted to running as the sun was out over the last few weeks but jumped on the stage 4 tour for all on Sunday while the Bundesliga was on, easily the biggest climb I'd done on it and was amazed how... comfortable I felt doing it. Even more motivated to get to level 12 and onto Alpe Du Zwift now.

Having a wee sit down afterwards was definitely required though.

WhatsApp Image 2020-05-18 at 10.00.58.jpeg

Aw f**k I thought the Alpe was unlocked on Level 10 😂 

That also reminds me, i need a bigger fan. The paltry one i pinched from the office is absolutely shite

2 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

I left mine on, largely through laziness i have to admit. The wheel reflectors were binned immediately though

My last 2 bikes didn't even have the spoke protector fitted, came in seperate with the bits and bobs. Bike builders know its the first thing that gets whipped off I suppose.

5 hours ago, Shotgun said:

Got the blood circulating for the first time in way too long.

2.jpg

Is your front brake lever on the left hand side?

Nice bike.

Edited by bennett

4 hours ago, bennett said:

Is your front brake lever on the left hand side?

Nice bike.

Thanks and good eye. As @die hard doonhamer says, I'm in the US and that's the way they do things here. When I first immigrated in the early '90s, I brought over my old, cast iron 10-speed and everyone here thought it was set up wrong. I 've had several bikes since then and I'm used to it now. It would feel very odd if I had to switch back.

10 hours ago, Shotgun said:

Morticia took me for a frolic in the woods this evening.

1.jpg

Oh man, what a beaut - bike and location. This lockdown has got me missing biking, I used to do it a lot when I was in my teens. Never thought about it again until recently, for some reason I now have the urge to buy a mountain bike and get back into doing downhill stuff. 

19 hours ago, Shotgun said:

Thanks and good eye. As @die hard doonhamer says, I'm in the US and that's the way they do things here. When I first immigrated in the early '90s, I brought over my old, cast iron 10-speed and everyone here thought it was set up wrong. I 've had several bikes since then and I'm used to it now. It would feel very odd if I had to switch back.

Not sure I'd fancy hitting anything steep until I'd got used to that, be over the bars constantly.

8 hours ago, stu_mfc said:

Not sure I'd fancy hitting anything steep until I'd got used to that, be over the bars constantly.

I brought a bike over to the US with me and bought one here but the Scottish one is flat bars and the yank one is drop bars so it's just a case of feeling them out for 10 seconds before you head out so your brain knows which one it's riding. 

Having lost my mojo a bit for the bike last year, mainly due to other commitments, getting right back into it and building back up my bike fitness.

Managed two longish runs in the past week ( 64 and 48 miles) and averaged 17.8 & 18.5 mph averages , so its slowly coming back .

Great to see so many people out and about on their bikes during lockdown , which will hopefully continue once we return to some kind of normality 

On 26/05/2020 at 15:27, Unleash The Nade said:

Great to see so many people out and about on their bikes during lockdown , which will hopefully continue once we return to some kind of normality 

It would be nice if people worldwide have noticed how much cleaner the air is, and quieter the towns are with less cars on the road. Perhaps a few more will have learned to appreciate the physical and mental health benefits of cycling to work, even if it's just a couple of times a week. And maybe it'll go some of the way to reversing the ingrained mentality that everything must be designed around the needs  wants of the motorist. 

Wishful thinking, I know.   

Been upping it again on the bike, yesterday's run took me down to 85kg, a reduction of 8kg since mid-march! 

The canal towpaths are full of fannies right now so been doing a lot more road riding, really enjoyed this effort yesterday and chuffed with my average speed! Not bad for a £300 hybrid from Halfords. 

Going to get the thing serviced next week, hopefully that makes a difference. 

Went out another run today which was a 26km effort I complete in 60 minutes normally, hadnt done it in 2 weeks but went for it today and for what I felt was a casual run out, I matched my previous PB. I've been getting my cadence / gear selection a lot better and getting used to not having to leave the seat and just getting my legs to go quicker in a lower gear and it's working out a treat. 

Screenshot_20200531_005708.thumb.jpg.56d10e31e4561385eadf07340300c799.jpg

Edited by Ingo ohne Flamingo