Official P&b Cycling Thread

Despite the six cans lastnight and the wind being in the direction I dont like, I skelped my PB on the run I have been doing today.

Clean chain making an odds, or fitness improving. Either way happy wi that
Good effort. A clean chain makes a massive difference. Riding with a chain that sounds like a bag of spanners and jumping gears is annoying as f**k.

Good effort. A clean chain makes a massive difference. Riding with a chain that sounds like a bag of spanners and jumping gears is annoying as f**k.
Shocked how much tbh. I have said before I'm a rank amateur at this game but thats a learning il be sticking with. I thought I'd have to scrub or power wash it but the degreaser cleaned it immediately so easy enough done.

Really really enjoying my cycling tbh. Need to get myself some other gear. Reckin a pair of gloves is needed. Felt my grip going today in the rain a wee bit.

Today I was trying to be a lot more proactive with my gearing too and it helped so might just patch the cadence computer I was going to get.

Shocked how much tbh. I have said before I'm a rank amateur at this game but thats a learning il be sticking with. I thought I'd have to scrub or power wash it but the degreaser cleaned it immediately so easy enough done.

Really really enjoying my cycling tbh. Need to get myself some other gear. Reckin a pair of gloves is needed. Felt my grip going today in the rain a wee bit.

Today I was trying to be a lot more proactive with my gearing too and it helped so might just patch the cadence computer I was going to get.
Probably best to avoid power washing near the bottom bracket or anywhere with sealed bearings. Water ingress in these places is a total c**t to deal with. A quick rinse with a garden hose is enough when you're cleaning the bike. I was pretty lax with the drive train when I started as well, but it's an easy job and worth doing regularly

My house doesn't have an outside tap for a proper hose, so I use one of these to rinse down my bike after a muddy ride https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingfisher-PS4003-Action-Pressure-Sprayer/dp/B000TAWBBC/ref=sr_1_4?crid=381TZIFKTJ05D&dchild=1&keywords=spear+and+jackson+sprayer&qid=1589784908&s=outdoors&sprefix=spear+and+jackson+spr%2Coutdoor%2C200&sr=1-4

They are nowhere near as powerful as pressure washers, so wont get water in any bearings, but are strong enough to easily dislodge fresh mud.

What degreaser do people use? I have an old Aldi/Lidl chain cleaning tool and a random can of engine degreaser I bought off Amazon, but I still find it difficult the get my chain shiny.

12 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

What degreaser do people use? I have an old Aldi/Lidl chain cleaning tool and a random can of engine degreaser I bought off Amazon, but I still find it difficult the get my chain shiny.

I use Gunk. Paint it on, rinse it off, repeat. It works well. One time I used white spirit and the chain was even cleaner. But I believe there's a reason not to use spirit but I can't remember what it is! Not sure if diesel would do the job?

Anyone else loathe pressfit bottom brackets? 14 months in and it's started to creak, usually after 20kms.

Anyone had much luck fixing these without resorting to replacement?

I think my stuff is finish line citrus degreaser, I pour some into an old tub then use it with a paintbrush on the chain, cassette etc. Pretty effective stuff.

Pleasing milestone yesterday after a Zwift session - 1000 miles since lockdown started.

25 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

Pleasing milestone yesterday after a Zwift session - 1000 miles since lockdown started.

Brilliant effort that. I'd shifted to running as the sun was out over the last few weeks but jumped on the stage 4 tour for all on Sunday while the Bundesliga was on, easily the biggest climb I'd done on it and was amazed how... comfortable I felt doing it. Even more motivated to get to level 12 and onto Alpe Du Zwift now.

Having a wee sit down afterwards was definitely required though.

WhatsApp Image 2020-05-18 at 10.00.58.jpeg

4 hours ago, Papad said:

Anyone else loathe pressfit bottom brackets? 14 months in and it's started to creak, usually after 20kms.

They are an utter pain in the arse and very famous for creaking. 

Anyone had much luck fixing these without resorting to replacement?

I have had to replace them when they start to fail but lived with the creaking noises. 

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

Tell me why and it will be done

They look shit and don't serve any real purpose, don't think i've ever shifted into a wheel.... First job on a new bike is to remove that and the reflectors!

30 minutes ago, oldbitterandgrumpy said:

The most boring drudgery is quite often the most important work you do on your bike. 

Did you ever get your cadence sorted by the way?

Not as such, but I have upped my distances to over 40km on a hilly route and felt good doing it, as I said on a post the other day I was trying to be more proactive re gearing and feel it made a difference, so I am in the opinion currently that if I am getting decent speed and distance and not blowing out my hole then my actual cadence doesn't really matter

1 hour ago, stu_mfc said:

They look shit and don't serve any real purpose, don't think i've ever shifted into a wheel.... First job on a new bike is to remove that and the reflectors!

They're meant to protect the spokes,  don't see the harm in keeping them on.

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Not as such, but I have upped my distances to over 40km on a hilly route and felt good doing it, as I said on a post the other day I was trying to be more proactive re gearing and feel it made a difference, so I am in the opinion currently that if I am getting decent speed and distance and not blowing out my hole then my actual cadence doesn't really matter

I'm of the opinion that cadence DOES matter, but then again, maybe I'm just old school. A steady rhythmic cadence is something you want to perfect. 

Being in the right gear means your cadence is roughly 85/110,  and, consequently, keeping your cadence roughly about 100 means you're in the right gear,  but if you're making progress in your personal distance, and, most importantly, making progress in your personal enjoyment, then fine. Go for it. 

Building up your distance and your stamina involves slow progress. If you feel frustrated because you feel you're in too low a gear the temptation is to up the gear and maybe burn yourself out. 

Let yourself find the right cadence over the summer and marvel at the progress you'll make. You'll soon find that gears you could only use while going downhill come naturally while you're on the level. 

Edited by oldbitterandgrumpy